Smallville Summer Hiatus Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I always thought it was the other way around. Clark is the real person and Superman is the "act". Maybe it's because what Lois & Clark did with the character made an impression on me.

Well, if you want to get technical, every version of Superman is its own universe. That's not something that's unique to Smallville.

Anyhoo...

I'm not happy with what they did to Jimmy. Did DC really panic and make the show runners kill off the character? I'll admit that after seeing the episode, I was glad that there would still be a "Jimmy", I'm just not happy that they had to do a retcon on the one we knew.

2. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

that is pretty much how I see it as well, but yeah Lois & Clark was my first Superman as well.

that said I tend to think that there are 3 personalties.

1) Superman, the act he puts on for the public so that people like him.
    2) Clark Kent, the guy works at the Daily Planet and types at an average speed, so as not to give himself away.

and the real personality 3) the real Clark Kent, the guy who wakes up in the morning, cooks toast with his heat vision, and listens to the police scanner via his super hearing whilst he puts on his suits.

3. Agent Richard07

^ Lois & Clark wasn't the first version of Superman I was exposed to, it just sticks in my mind as a well fleshed out version of the Clark/Superman character and I took a lot away from that.

As for the "three personality" idea, the Christopher Reeve movies did that, but Lois & Clark stuck with just one version of Clark.

4. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I dont think Clark when he is by himself in his apartment, is the same guy as Clark when he is out for public, for obvious reasons.

5. Agent Richard07

^ Only difference there was that he used his powers, his overall character or personality didn't change.

6. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I would say that most of the time that is true, but anyone who has to hide a part of themselves in public, is going to behave slightly differently in public even when you are not using or being that thing you have to hide.

7. Agent Richard07

^ The way I saw it was that he simply didn't use his powers in front of people and sometimes made excused to get away. He didn't have the full-scale Christopher Reeve-style act. A lot of people hide things to varying degrees and Dean Cain's Clark Kent was no different.

8. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

or the times when he was chasing the story, take down his glasses, and use his X-Ray vision whilst Lois was looking the other way, or use his super hearing.

The whole clumsy weak Clark Kent thing just seems silly, sure it wont hurt for him to drop a cup once a year, or cry off sick when a few other people are, but apart from that, he does not need to take it to far.

Of course that is not a problem Clark has in Smallville, there is that much Kypronite around, he does not need to fake anything, all the mean characters have seen him weak for some reason.

9. Buck Rogers

Buck Rogers Captain Captain

Well I have a wait see attitude on this season coming up.
    I'm not looking forward to Friday night at 8pm since I could be working by that time,and it depends on who is my employer also the work schedule.

I had an interview with Family dollar today looks promising,but I'm having second thoughts if I get the offer.
    Still no word from Radio Shack yet,but tomorrow I'm going to the Lego Store in Annapolis,MD to follow up the compensation is double what Family dollar would pay me to do the same Job as assistant Mgr.

That's all for now

Signed

Buck Rogers

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

^Good luck on your job search. If you work during Smallville, you can also catch it online at the CW website. They usually stream the episodes on their site the following week.

11. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Friday at 8:00 P.M., huh? I can see that I may be taping a lot of these new eps as opposed to watching live.

And good luck from me as well Buck on the job hunt. I know what that can be like.

12. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

TV Guide

13. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting...I'm half interested again in season nine, again as most of you are aware of my policy regarding a new season of Smallville. I'll watch it until it starts to piss me off or the lesser of two evils, I loose interest and find something else .

15. Broccoli

I still don't like that they are bring back Zod for a, seemingly, complete season run. They did his story and it seemed concluded back in season 5/6.

Lets explore a new villain that hasn't been adapted in live action yet. While the resolution might have been seen as lackluster for some, Doomsday was a good start, and Metallo is another good way to go (assuming John Corben will be Metallo, instead of a "I'm-not-Metallo-yet-but-I-will-eventually" character).

16. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I bet in the season finale Zod will get trapped in the Phantom Zone and won't be seen on the show after that which will set him up to escape when Clark is Superman. Of course we'll never see that.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm? I think the earth is going to fall through a massive rift into the Phantom Zone.

OH!

The Philadelphia experiment!

Clark finds a WWII Air Craft Carrier in there. :)

Though tracking from that movie, phantoms would hitch hike on missiles using the phantom zone as some sort of shunt space to avoid radar detection. :)

Clark hooks up with Lois not realizing that she's Mrs Zod again.

MOn-El. C'mon. we're talking about the legion and the Phantom Zone, how can we not talk about Mon-El? John Jones settles down, and his kids have powers. One year old toddlers who can fly.

Bring back Lucy lane.

Something happens to Martha for a couple months, mono, whatever, and Clarke has to take over her seat on the State Senate for her while she's in recovery.

Clark and Lois go on a date. Chloe's feelings for Lois resurface. GIVE ME LOVE TRIANGLE GOODNESS!

Lex comes back as a talking puppy. Lionel comes back as a talking kitty. They both trek an inspiring voyage from lost out some where in an animal testing lab back home tot he castle, where they then have to try and convince the humans that they're just like people.

Clark learns to fly. Slowly. Ralph Hinkle slowly. Crashes into crap for an entire seaon. Backwards once even. Humour.

Clark travels back in time to meet his father and Terrance Stamp gets some face time. That blonde I love too. What'sher name? Helen Slater, yeah that one, more of that please. Oh, and if they're into sex games he says "Kneeeeeeeel before Jor-El."

Krypto gets his powers back. And some one says "Jesus Clark, even the Dog can fly. What are you backward?"

Some one uses zombie magic and a whole bunch of people rise from the grave including the Queens. Green Arrow goes mental again. Oh, and a teagues family reunion.

Lucy Lane goes on a date with Clark to get under Lois's skin because she knows her sister is into the farm boy and that's how she gets her jollys.

Kara lands on the white house lawns and begins dictating terms to the president.

Three words: Green Lantern Corps.

One word: Thanagarians. More words, those wings, cgi wings just flapping about as they're bashing people in the face with those nth metal maces. Jesus, I want to see some Thanagarians strutting like they're the kings and queens of a chook house called smallville.

Young Clark and Clohe. I was promised more of them. Those too kid actors were just adorable. there has to be more uses for them as young Clark and Chloe?

stuff.

Oh, and I want to see one episode with alternative credits and music for something called "the Chloe Show" which is a cross between that girl and and the Girl from uncle and Alley McBeal

more stuff.

Show tess win some battles against other super heroes that don't matter. break them utterly. Prove her salt.

18. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I have to say, this is excellent news. I really liked him in Dead Like Me.

19. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

You've outdone yourself Guy.

20. Broccoli

Isn't that what Clark did in "Zod"?