Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shaw, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

I had read back in this thread when these "windows" were discussed. It was suggested that they were holographic windows with star displays.

I would like to sugest that maybe these are "mood light panels." I got this idea after watching "The Cage." I notice that Pike's "window" is:

A. Wider at the top then the bottom. Thus not fitting any windows on the outside of the ship.
    B. The translucent covering changed color as the scene goes on.

There's also a little button on the "sil" of the "window." So I thought maybe this was some sort of mood light panel. It would also explain why they were removed later during the series. They became unpopular.

Also how long is your Enterprise. My Enterprise is 1100 feet. I scaled mine to fit the hanger deck and shuttlecraft.

2. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

I'll have to look it up, but I think the current length based on my 11 foot model studies is 944 feet long.

As for changing the size to match something... in the case of my work, everything is left at it's original size and put together to see if it fits. For example, this is the aft area study of the secondary hull...

[​IMG]

This is based on planned dimensions, Warped9's shuttlecraft dimensions, Jefferies' hull compartments applied to the secondary hull and the gallery set from The Conscience of the King.

So far I haven't run into any conflicts, which leads me to believe Jefferies planned this out quite well.

3. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Jefferies did indeed seem to have this well thought out, and I am still breathlessly following your development of it, good sir.

4. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Now that is surprising.

5. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not really. Look at the math:

135 (the model's intended length, in inches) x 7 = 945

I'm at the computer lab right now, but IIRC my own CAD reconstructions, based upon Shaw's, MGagen's, and Alan Sinclair's work, I've almost always come closer to 945 than 947.

Frankly, I can't figure out how the hell 947 became the official figure, considering that it's two feet more than a perfect 1/84 scale for the model.

6. Captain Robert April

So, what do we do with that extra two feet?

7. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One possibility:
    72.25" (nacelle) + 60" (saucer) + 3" (estimated gap between nacelle and saucer) = 135.25"
    135.25 x 7 = 946.75
    Round to 947.
    Note: I have never been able to find a actual plumbed measurement for that gap

Another possibility:
    Math error. This was a design produced for a TV show before the age of pocket calculators and personal computers. The answer they came up with was good enough for what they were doing.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  8. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

A lot of this comes from the fact that the models are assembled from a number of individual parts... those parts tend to match the original plans pretty nicely, but their final arrangement is a little off.

Oddly enough, using the same scaling for the 33 inch model we get an overall length of 936 feet. The parts are proportional to the 11 foot model, but their final arrangement is slightly different.

Jefferies' 947 foot length is based on his ideal placement of all the elements.

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Hey Shaw. One question about the hangar deck observation deck. I notice the profile of the space in your centerline cutaway doesn't match that in Jefferies drawing. Yours is symmetical, and his isn't. Is there a reason for this? Something related to the set plans perhaps?

10. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Actually, it was just one of those things where I ended up with two bays behind the hangar that were the full height of deck 16 and I thought that it would be interesting to have the other side of that back gallery look over those bays as well. They are there mainly as a place to sort cargo before moving it to storage or possibly for assembly and disassembly of equipment.

Odds are more would be happening in those bays to observe than the hangar, so I thought those windows would be a nice addition. But that was totally my idea as we never get to see any of that type of thing in the series.

But if we had, this is what it might have looked like...

[​IMG]

11. uniderth

So does the scale of the shuttles in your hanger bay match what was seen on screen?

12. Captain Robert April

I think he's using Warped9's shuttles, which are a teensy bit larger (to accommodate a not-quite-as-large-as-onscreen interior).

13. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Yeah... What he said.

Warped9 had a great diagram that showed the full scale exterior mock-up size, his derived size and the size needed for the filming interior with a 5' 10' officer standing next to the three of them. That diagram showed just how much smaller the exterior mock-up was compared to what I'm using in these sketches.

14. uniderth

Ok cool. Just want to get my story straight. Hehehe. Great work on this!

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I can only add an observation here. The 11ft. filming miniature (such as it is) can best be said to represent a 947ft. ship even if the model itself doesn't exactly scale out that way. This is just another one of those production inconsistencies borne out of making do with what you have. It's just less noticeable here then it is with the shuttlecraft.

The onscreen shuttlecraft exterior mockup was about 22ft. long. My shuttlecraft is just under 26.5 ft. To get a shuttlecraft with the 7ft. interior we saw onscreen you'd need one more than 31ft. long, and such a large vehicle doesn't work for the space available in the hangar deck.

16. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

The layout would nicely dovetail to the later ST:TMP appearance of major cavities "on the other side" - or the two garage doors that lead to underneath the observation level in the ST5 version of the area. Too bad that we saw so little of the set for the observation level in that latter movie. Or, more accurately, too bad that so little of it was ever constructed.

(In fact, even what little they did is enough to cause problems. Scotty seems to be looking at the hangar from ship centerline - but our other heroes then proceed to a turbolift station that sits right below Scotty's feet. This station would seem to replace the doorway visible in your B-B section, which I agree is a logical place for the door witnessed in TOS. Does the ST5 turbolift perhaps first travel a bit horizontally towards the bow before heading up?)

An alternate setup would have the TOS doorway at one corner of the deck, inset inside the larger trapezoid alcove to the starboard side, and at an angle; a symmetric door would no doubt be on the other side. The front bulkhead of the hangar could look identical to the ST5 one, then, and have a means of moving outsize cargo or entire shuttlecraft to the other side. There would be just barely room for the small staging area (?) between the rectangular pocket doors leading to the hangar alcove, and the trapezoid doorframe leading to the ship proper, but the sets would have to be reinterpreted a bit to create a sensible layout... Something I'd hate to have to accept.

Timo Saloniemi

17. Captain Robert April

I think the only workable solution regarding the hangar deck strangeness is start with the position that the interior of the 1701 refit is quite a bit different than the 1701-A, i.e., the E-A's interior, specifically the secondary hull, probably more closely resembles the original Enterprise than the refit does.

18. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

One thing I'm wondering about is... how many turbolifts are there in the whole ship?

There can't be just one? There are probably a couple -- so where the others stowed when not in use?

CuttingEdge100

19. Captain Robert April

I put 'em in the neck. Pretty much devoted the whole section to turbolift maintenance (had to do something with the area and justify having that many windows there).

20. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

Captain Robert April,

Are you serious? The neck would encounter major twisting loads (you'd have a huge saucer on top, and the engineering hull on the bottom) you'd want that part of the ship to be beefed up -- I wouldn't want to be just stuffing turbo-lifts in there.

I'm thinking deleting the computer core or at least shrinking it drastically, then stuffing the lifts in the middle of the saucer.

Sounds way more practical to me

CuttingEdge100

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.