Changelings

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Captain McBain, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

Do changelings have unlimited lifespans? Do they eventually die of old age?

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unknown. Odo survived for hundreds of years in Children of Time without any seeming ill effect. Why's this on the Voyager board?

3. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not entirely sure but there's this line from the female founder to Odo (DS9 - favour the bold):

You are a changeling, you are timeless!. Which does suggest to me they could very well be.

Also, why is this in the voyager forum ?

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Maybe not immortal, but certainly damn near it compared to human lifespans.

Why is this on the Voyager board? ;)

5. Captain McBain

I'm sorry. I made a mistake. Maybe I'm oversimplifying this, but it seems that the cells which comprise a changeling would degrade over time. I don't know, maybe not.

6. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^ Who said they are made of cells?

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

And even if they are, why assume they would degrade?

8. Captain McBain

Well, it seems likely that they're made up of something. And unless Odo's people can somehow overcome the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, it'd seem that they'd eventually break down, even if it took eons.

9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno, it's quite possible the the body functions that break down in us "solids" could be rejuvenated just by the process of shapeshifting itself.

And why is this on the Voy-- okay, okay the horse is dead, we forgive you! :)

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are the same changlings always made from the same goo?

Odo without access to the link would be confined to the same Goo until he dies.

He calls sleeping "regenerating"?

What if he really is replacing all the cell loss from he day, he could lose and gain 5 pounds of goo every week?

It's just a question of goo depredation as he gets older.

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't Bashir take some goo away and this stressed him out? He wanted it all back. So I'm thinking it doesn't replenish if any is lost.

12. Guy Gardener

In the beginning the changeling baby Odo was raising was growing rapidly.

Maybe the Changelings replace mass by eating their young just like the Doctor has to eat other "sentient" holograms to stay sane.

After all, Odo had a really good reversal of all his health issues that time he ate a baby.

13. teacake

Imagine if they never stopped growing. They could take over the quadrant by swallowing it in bronze goo.

If they do make new changlings and then consume them to replace mass lost through age the ones that were sent away might have been the best off. I'd imagine they would be consuming the infants before they had any real personality or sentience, they were just material that they needed.

14. Guy Gardener

But linked Changelings, are we sure that their personality is specific to the goo they walked into the link with?

No matter how many babies they eat, their fragile child personalities are still in the link either growing up, or pissed and resentful suffering from an arrested development?

Oh.

Is that why they send their kids away out into space?

Just 100 my cheese grating ass.

Maybe a hundred at a time, but it's the only way that they can have fully formed accentuated distinct personalities to bring growth and evolution to the link.

15. teacake

They should have formed a gang and made their own link and returned home to have their vengeance.

16. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Although not everyone reads the books and will consider that vaild information (they aren't canon, afterall), it's touched upon that basicly, the Founders can't die of old age, but are ofcourse not immortal. The sickness in the Great Link almost killed them, and we've seen atleast three Founders die onscreen (The Adversary, Apocolypse Rising and By Inferno's Light).

Interestingly enough, right now I'm reading the story by David R George III where some backstory is explained about the Founders, and how they used to be solids (as stated in one of the episodes of DS9, so that IS canon) and how the Progenitor, a massive changeling, made them all changelings. They were then considered newly formed, not infants, and couldn't procreate anymore. Even at the time of Odo's return, there were still newly formed Changelings in the Link, who hadn't seperated yet from the Link.

17. Guy Gardener

That wouldn't work.

Odo was conditioned/engineered to Orgasm the first time he even saw the nebula he came from.

Although Laars was a complete bellend.

18. teacake

But if they formed their own link some of their programmed desire for their people might be satisfied so that when they saw their origin world they no longer uncontrollably wanted to blend with it but instead just fancied it somewhat. And perhaps their resentment at being abandoned and their distrust of their people would not be over ridden. They were getting what they most needed from their mini link so they had clearer heads.

This might be why they didn't send them out by twos or threes, not just because they would learn more if they knew nothing of who they were. But because it would interfere with their programming.

19. Guy Gardener

Odo and Laars linked.

They linked a lot.

Odo thought he was a link-addict.

20. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Why is this on the VOY board? :lol: I don't know. Standards are slipping around here.