Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

I think Justice is one of the best pieces of 'social' science-fiction Star Trek ever did. :techman:

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I've been watching a little bit of the blu-ray and I have some thoughts (And please forgive me since I'm not as technical as a lot of people here)

-What I've seen so far looks beautiful. CBS did a great job with this project and I was watching the Documentary on how they do it and man that's a pure definition of "labor of love". Looking for all that film that looks like it's as high (At least stacked in boxes) as a 5 story building looks daunting.

-The aspect ratio (Or if I'm getting it wrong, simply the black on the left and right of the screen) is something I thought they would adjust for on TVs. They did it on the DVD release so I was surprised they didn't do it here. Again, I'm not technical, so I'm sure there is a very good reason for that.

-I watched the first part of Stardate Revisited and man I'm already loving all this new stuff on the series that they never put in the DVDs. That documentary might be worth the 65 bucks I paid already because TNG was a great series and to see it grow from the ground up is really fascinating. I know he isn't the most popular guy around here, but hearing Rick Berman's story of how he got involved was very interesting and I wonder, is he retired? Also all the stuff from Probert and Justman and the rest of the Art Department was great too, like how we got the Enterprise D, or the stuff with the engine in the middle of the ship. One other thing, Gene Roddenberry didn't know California Labor Laws? It's one thing to run a family business but man, that story was great too, especially considering what Rod Roddenberry is doing now. Best to start them young I suppose. ;)

-One glaring thing I noticed was are the opening credits supposed to flash like that? I'm not sure if I can simply explain what I mean, but you have the credits, and when we get to the text portion (EG Patrick Stewart as Captain Picard, Gates McFadden as Beverly Crusher) the screen for a few seconds fades to black. Is this part of the converting to HD? I know on the SD, the stars are always present so I was just wondering what was going on there. Not a big deal, but like everything else on this set I'm just fascinated.

-I love the fact that the episode previews are part of the set now, as one of my favorite aspects of watching TNG growing up was waiting to see what the next episode was. I would always go to my parents, "Wait, we have to see what the next episode is about" before they changed the channel. Also, you can really see the difference between this HD project, and the original standard def. Still, seeing the "Neeexxxxt Time, on Star Trek: The Next Generation" will never get old. Maybe on the DS9 sets they will include the promos there because those promos were awesome as well, whether it was the blue station design overlapping with the promo in Season 2, or the Text promos we got in Season 6 and 7.

Like I said, this whole thing feels like a Labor of Love and considering when Star Trek was remastered and my qualms with that (Changing the visual effects, not appreciating the time it was filmed, pretty much everything that one episode of South Park criticized George Lucas for) this is quite an achievement.

3. BillJ

Either your TV or disc player is stretching the content to fit the screen on DVD. You can stretch the blu-ray, usually through a setting on your TV, but you'll have to do it manually. But if you do this then the menus won't fit the screen properly.

4. tomalak301

So it's best to leave it be then? I'm just wondering because with everyone having big screen TVs these days, I'm just wondering how distracting it is, or if it's not a big deal.

5. BillJ

I've been too busy being mesmerized by the pretty pictures in the middle of the screen for the black bars to bother me. :lol:

Yeah, I'd leave it be. It's the way it was originally intended to be viewed. :techman:

6. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've actually started with the documentaries which are wonderful. There's so much stuff I haven't seen in years and some I've never seen before. This is a real gift to TNG fans. Roll on seasons 2-7!!

7. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.

One of the most important things you can do to help yourself look past the black bars is to make sure the brightness and contrast settings are adjusted on your TV. Right out of the box, all TV's have their brightness cranked to the max; this is in case a store were to pull one out to be a floor model, it would need to look good under the harsh fluorescent lighting. But at home, it's just overkill. There are several DVDs out there that have a THX home calibration feature (I know Fight Club and the original Star Wars DVDs have them). Even if you don't have access to those, at least turn your brightness way, way down, even further than looks good. Watch like that for several days, then start creeping it up until it looks better.

What you're trying to achieve is for the black bars to actually look "black", and not glowing grey. If the frame of your TV is also black, this will go a long way towards helping you learn to ignore the black bars.

8. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

The 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio (the shape of modern TVs) was designed specifically to accommodate all of the most common aspect ratios from 1.33:1 to 2.40:1. 16:9 (1.78:1) is the geometric mean between those ARs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16:9

9. tomalak301

Thanks for the advice. I'm actually used to the bars but I was just wondering if it was the case for all of your TVs too and I just was doing something wrong. The black bars have been there since DVDs and studios wanting to keep the theatrical aspect ratio, thereby showing the movies in wide-screen.

10. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Is the July 24 release date a suggestion that we should be watching TNG 7/24 (or 24/7 for European fans)?

11. BillJ

I've been watching since I walked in the door this morning. :lol:

12. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well in layman's terms, the only way to get a 16:9 picture out of it, is to crop the 4:3 picture, hence you'd actually lose part of the picture, rather than gain any. Plus, because you're stretching it to fit, the resolution will be worse.

I couldn't agree more with this. Whilst I do like 'making ofs', I never imagined watching 'screen tests' and being thrilled by them. The way they incorporated them into the doc was a great idea, splicing the 'test' in with anecdotes, and then occasionally them goofing off during the tests as well - a delight to watch.

Likewise Berman - often lambasted, and I'm as guilty as anyone in that regard, but I thoroughly enjoyed listening to him.

I'm taking that the 'to be continued' at the end of the third part of the doc means that they'll be some of these for each season. I sincerely hope so.

Really looking forward to the cast 'round table' as well. The snippet on the season 2 preview makes it look as though it's going to be well worth checking out. From what I could see they got the whole 7-person cast, and then Wil Wheaton? Don't think Denise Crosby or John de Lancie are involved?

Absolutely cannot recommend this set enough. The upgrade from the DVD, in terms of PQ, AQ (barring the obvious mistake on EaF), and extras, is phenomenal. :techman:

13. Warped Trekker

Warped Trekker Ensign Newbie

I had a crush back then with the Edo Girl, Judith Jones. I'm surprised they didnt have her back another time in the series. You think Uncle Willy got some booty with her like the other girl? lol.

[​IMG]

14. tomalak301

Considering how much more involved Denise Crosby was in Trek (Making the Trekkies documentary and all), I would love if one of the features on a season set (Maybe Season 3) is just a candid one on one interview with her. I think some of the things she has to say would be interesting to hear, like her leaving after season 1, coming back to play her again and later on Sela, any regrets she had, stuff like that. Now, if they got an interview with Whoopi as well (Updated done in 2012 or later), I will be impressed. I wonder if she still liked Star Trek and still feels today what she felt when she was on the show.

I know people say special features are something you just watch once, but I think they provide new and interesting insights that make even a 20 year old series feel fresh again. I watched part one of that Stardate revisited, and it almost felt like TNG was new again, waiting to be rewatched with a new mindset and understand the care it went to create the series, and then remaster the series. I know there was some ups and downs early on (Roddenberry's issues and all) but it really is stuff like that that makes things feel new and I like that.

15. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps DC was just unavailable at the time of the 'round table' shoot. It can't be anything personal as she was happy enough to contribute to the Stardate Revisited doc.

I'd be very surprised if Whoopi doesn't make it onto the later season special features. Likewise it really wouldn't surprise me if they have DC back to discuss Yesterday's Enterprise.

16. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My copy delivered from Amazon mid-afternoon. I've watched "Encounter at Farpoint" and the new documentaries/bonus features thus far. Wow, what a difference! And the packaging is so small! I held my new season 1 blu-ray package up to my old season 1 DVD and just shook my head at the size difference. I'll have considerable more room on my shelf once I replace all 7 seasons.

17. Warped Trekker

Warped Trekker Ensign Newbie

No, no, no. Brightness = black level adjustment. Contrast = luminance(white level). Get a good calibration disc like Spears & Munsil, which has accurate patterns. Also before calibration, put your TV in 6500k color mode or as close as possible. The default blue-white color of 9300k out of the box is wrong on all tv's.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Frankly I think they were right to have the roundtable with just the main 7. Crosby was only with them for the very first season, so it would seem odd to have her there with people who were there MUCH longer.

19. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Good point. If we’re going by episode count, Diana Muldaur, Whoopi Goldberg, and Colm Meaney belong there as much as Crosby.

If they do a DS9 remaster, I hope it debuts on July 26.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  20. tomalak301

I'll write more about Part 2 of Stardate Revisited later, but I needed to get this off before I forget. Brent Spiner does an awesome impression of James Stewart. Holy Cow that was funny. :lol:

I really love these original costume looks they are featuring. What I said about this special feature being worth the price alone, yep I'll stick by that. These things are fabulous.