Picture the Novelverse - Characters, Ships and More !

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Relayer1, Aug 26, 2013.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dammit, awhile ago I found a really cool pencil sketch of the USS Jefferson Randolph Smith from How Much For Just the Planet?, but I can't find it again.

2. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ooh, I like those. I've never seen those before. Especially the Cold Fusion one, obv.

3. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Only saying but Pocket could learn a lot from cross cult.

4. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Waiting for a couple of years after the original book is out and then make the cover? They are pretty close to adapt that strategy with the eBook exclusives... (The More things change is less than a month away and we haven't seen the cover yet, and it wwas similar with the last few eBooks IIRC.) :devil: ;)

5. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I meant as regarding creating distinctive,exciting and attractive cover art.Duh!:eek:

6. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Does anyone know where Memory Beta's image of Miranda Kadohata came from?

7. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good question!! I have been wondering the same thing for ages. I did a google image search, and found this:

http://pad.mymovies.it/cinemanews/2010/29916/battlestar_imm.jpg

Which is appereantly from Battlestar Galactica. Looking at the angle and expression, this picture was used to make a photoshop that someone posted on Memory Beta.

8. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Like the image of President Min Zife, Kadohata's image is an approved photo shop.

9. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

It's a photoshop of Stephanie Jacobsen, who (as Kadohata's creator) is, like, totally perfect for the role. :)

Reaper63 likes this.
  10. Starfury

Starfury Captain Captain

Interesting Choice. I think she'd be a great Kadohata :)

[​IMG]

Reaper63 likes this.
  11. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

DeviantArt user UsualSuspex has a number of really awesome pieces of Trek art and TrekLit art, including this great depiction of the Aventine in orbit of Andor during The Fall: A Ceremony of Losses:

[​IMG]

12. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

From TNG: Indistinguishable from Magic: Madam Chairman Sela's IRW Stormcrow (courtesy of the Tal Shiar) was named a Valdore-class ship in the book. Presumably, it was intended to be a Mogai-class warbird - but Star Trek Online conveniently filled th gap with a design of their own:
    Link to Memoby Beta: http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Valdore_class
    [​IMG]

13. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I love fixes like that. :) Good one!

14. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Star Trek Online also names the basic 25th century Romulan bird of prey as the T'varo class light warbird (which may or may not be the 22nd century ENT design in continuous usage since then). We could imagine that the T'varo class is also the class of the birds of prey featured in 2380 in the novel Q & A although T'varo is also used in a Last Unicorn RPG module slightly differently albeit not visualized.

However, they name the 23rd century bird of prey (as seen in TOS: "Balance of Terror") as T'liss class light warbird while the ENT relaunch uses T'liss for the converted Romulan drone ships.

15. ProwlAlpha

ProwlAlpha Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Due to being a century later, they can both T'Liss-class. In the span of a century, there are three Virginia-class in the USN, first a Virginia-class battleship, then a Virginia-class nuclear cruiser, and now a Virginia-class nuclear attack submarine.

16. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here they explain how they came to use the image and why.

17. F. King Daniel

"Approved image"? Surely the actress and BSG producers get a say as to whether them and a shot from their show is approved for use in anything relating to Star Trek? Fanfiction and fanart with unauthorized photoshopped actors is one thing, but I expect better of a licenced Star Trek product.

18. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's approved as in, Memory Beta allowed the photo. If you look at MB, all images are from Licensed Star Trek materials.
    However, MB is NOT making money of this, so they don't need approvel from the actress and the BSG producers. The image is online, so it's free to use for non-profit stuff.
    I mean, look at all the photoshops with famous actors on 9gag, or used for fanfics.

Now, if CBS started using this picture on the cover of novels, it becomes another matter. But nowhere on that Memory Beta page does it say that CBS approved this image. Memory Beta did. And again, since they are non-profit, it doesn't matter.

19. F. King Daniel

I see what you're saying, but when it's "approved" and relating to a for-profit endeavour like Trek's novels (and MB does say it's approved by the authors), it's a slippery slope. Memory Beta is associated with licenced material so it's very much giving the impression that Stephanie Chaves-Jacobsen is the official Miranda Kadohata of the Trek novelverse, and unless she has given permission to use her likeness that should not be.

20. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, it's not. It's like saying that a bunch of fans on a fan website have created a fan image of her as Kadohata because it's fun. That's all.

Memory Beta is a fan website, not an official website. It's "approved" by the Memory Beta community for inclusion in the article; that's all. It's not a CBS product. It's not an NBCUniversal product. It's just fans having fun.