What was wrong with the TMP uniforms?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by dswynne1, Apr 29, 2014.

1. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the TMP uniforms were conceptually the strongest in all of Trek. They continued the established rank system and expanded it so it could be used on the shoulders if necessary. They provided for enlisted rank insignia. They expanded the division colors to be more specific. There were dressy, working, normal duty and maybe off-duty variants, plus additional clothing for engineering, security, medical and so on.

Our personal preferences on style or the color palette are irrelevant as far as the concept goes, since they are future uniforms and about the only thing we can be sure about them is that they would look a lot different from our present day aesthetic expectations. But that said, I personally don't care for the uneven, un-tucked shirttail hemline of the uniform tunics, the "floating" belt buckle without visible belt, and the collar-less field jacket (ever tried to keep warm in something without a collar?). The different uniform colors are a little odd, I don't mind them but they seem like there's kind of a system to them, and kind of not. But that's nit-picking, overall I'm a fan of the TMP uniforms.

2. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    they don't look like uniforms for a professional quasi-military organization, they look like pajamas.

3. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I liked Kirk's short-sleeved tunic and admiral's uniform, but the colors were blah.

4. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

As many before me have said, the TMP uniforms look like pajamas.

That's what you get when you are going to produce a new Star Trek and want to make it different from TOS just for the sake of being different. (the TNG uniforms are also bad)

See JJ-Trek. For as many as its bizarre choices en ever other aspect, they managed to modernize the TOS uniforms while keeping the design recognizable.

5. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would be more "substantive," perhaps, to use an actual photograph of Chuck Yeager, but not necessarily "better." My avatar is as much about THE RIGHT STUFF, as it is about him. Besides, the real Chuck Yeager had a small part in the movie - with a couple lines, in fact. But he was an Old Fart, as he was probably pushing 60, at the time ... so ... no. I'll ... I best stick to my Hollywoodified Chuck Yeager avatar. Thank you, very much ...

6. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TMP uniforms are okay. I always thought it was a losing game.

Some scoffed at TOS uniforms as too bright and colorful, almost garish with the bold primary colors. TMP tones down the palette and then gets called out for drab, bland colors.

TMP tries to make an accurate prediction of what a closed-environment spacecraft crew would wear, then gets called out for outfitting the crew in pajamas. Just can't win.

If reality is any indication, look at what astronauts wear onboard the space station...tee-shirts and shorts, might as well be pajamas.

I guess TMP failed trying too hard to be future-accurate and not enough cinema-appealling.

7. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This.

I also liked McCoy's 'leisure suit' variant. Kelley seemed to favor that style in real life too, though it would have been better with his ascot or bandanna. ;)

The built-in boots made for a sleek look, but TNG did it better with the stirrup thing.

I could have done without the rodeo buckle, but it did break up the long line of the tunic.

8. Serveaux

The tunic shown in that auction image, BTW, is misidentified. The uniform being worn by the Vulcan was designed by Robert Fletcher for ST:TMP - it's one of his right down to the "belly-warmer" belt buckle. Fletcher didn't work on the aborted second TV series. The uniforms to be used for Star Trek Phase II were the original series uniforms and some variations, all in the original series colors - many were fabricated and have found their way into the hands of collectors.

9. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree that variant 2-tone admiral uniforms would have been preferable across the board but they also needed TNG season 3 shoulder pads as the belt buckle is quite bulky and distorts the waist, making people look fatter than they needed to. Giving a bit more width at the shoulder would add to the military feel and restore more of a V-shape, using the illusion of the tapering white strip down the middle. Rank epaulets on the shoulders were also the way to go IMO.

10. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

Did the buckles serve any purpose? They seemed too bulky to be just accessories to the uniform.

11. Serveaux

They were supposed to be bio-monitors. Sort of prehistoric fitbits. ;)

12. SchwEnt

^^^ Perscans.

Personal scanner/bio-monitors. The belt-buckle things were devices that evidently monitored one's vital signs and kept Sickbay informed in the event of a medical emergency.

13. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think they look pretty good. :techman:

14. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In fact in some sources at the time they were said to be "biorhythm" monitors. It was the '70s, at least they didn't give an astrology reading.

15. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

Thanks, guys.

Still, if that's what they were going for, why didn't they combine that medical unit with the wrist communicator, and then had a standard issue belt (if needed) that were less bulky? I mean, didn't the TNG com-badges had bio-monitors/sensors, too? Granted, it's too late now to be a fashion consultant for TMP uniforms and all...

16. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

17. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I just looked at TMP the security uniform and that reminded me that that was the absolutely second worst uniform in Star Trek. It just looked like someone had got lost off the football field. Terrible. Everyone wearing one looked like a fool. IMO.

18. SchwEnt

TMP takes another hit.

Red shirts dropping like flies was already a thing at that time. TMP tried to address the issue, giving security some armor and maybe they won't drop dead every time they show up onscreen.

Instead of correcting a perceived problem, TMP gets called out for making security guards into goofy football players.

TMP just can't win.

19. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only "complaint" I had with them was the pants/boots. Had they used the black pants from TWOK with the shirts from TMP, I think they would have looked great.
    I really liked how they used and built upon the original rank system with the sleeve stripes. I've missed that in nearly every other ST uniform since.

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

As someone who saw the film at the Chinese theatre (in Hollywood, CA) it's opening week with friends in November 1979:

The consensus on the TMP uniforms was:

"Who the hell thought pajamas would be the Fleet uniform of the late 23rd century? Whomever it was should be shot."

I still feel that way 35 years later. Never liked the TMP Starfleet uniforms, never will.:p