DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Disillusioned, May 30, 2009.

1. prizzm

prizzm Ensign Newbie

DS9 is definitely my favorite Star Trek spinoff. I watched it from the beginning and liked it then, but I appreciated it even more as time went by.

Parts of it I don't like, of course. But overall, it's really well done.

Quark's my favorite. I think Armin Shimerman cared about his character, put a lot of thought into Quark and made him shine.

2. Vulcan Logician

Vulcan Logician Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Have to admit DS9 is my fave, but all the series are good. Even Enterprise.

3. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a lifelong trekkie, and DS9 was, imo, the best of the series: it was the greatest fulfillment of Star Trek's potential.

4. desertstarlover

desertstarlover Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

DS9 is one of the best drama series ever to air. And it just happens that it is Star Trek and science fiction. I love DS9 and wish it were still airing in syndication.

5. Data girl

Data girl Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I was not sure if I would like DS9. But I love it. I like the whole religion and war thing. I also ended up liking dukat except S7. I guess something is wrong with me.

6. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Welcome to the new people, or fellow 9ers now. :)

7. Maj. Kira Nerys

Maj. Kira Nerys Ensign Red Shirt

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say hello. I think, I have been on this forum before, but my e-mail-account decided to delete everything, so I don't know...

Anyway, I love DS9, I love the other series too, but DS9 is the one I find myself watching over and over again, so I suppose it's my favorite.

8. Captain_Q

Captain_Q Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm about halfway through watching DS9, I grew up watching TNG but I'm really enjoying DS9. Odo is my favorite along with Jadzia Dax. I just love the backstories for all the characters. And glory be to netflix for having all of these episodes!

9. jimmyt

jimmyt Cadet Newbie

Just wanted to say hi everyone.. new here.. first star trek forum... loved star trek for years.. ds9 is my fav series but love them all... just watching 'babel' never get tired of star trek...

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Howdies to Maj. Kira Nerys, Captain Q, and jimmyt.

11. cal_nevari

cal_nevari Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Although I grew up on TOS and its popularity is what made the rest of Trek possible, DS9 is my favorite Trek!

12. milquetoast

milquetoast Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello there, My name is Milquetoast and I am not a new fan, just a new fan to the forum. As a kid I was obsessed with Voyager, when it was on during the fourth season. I remember hearing about DS9 being better than Voyager and never had much interest in finding out because of how obsessed with Voyager I was.

Eventually I watched a few episodes and didn't think much of it, I didn't care much for the abrasiveness of the characters. They weren't like the characters on Voyager who always seemed to do the right thing. Slowly over time I watched more and grew an interest in the series. I even remember watching the series finale when it was on.

I remember thinking that I would watch the series in whole one day, and I filed that in the back of my mind. About a month ago I re-signed up for netflix streaming and found all of the trek series were available for streaming. DS9 popped up on my list (as I had been watching the original series when I first had my streaming). I had been watching another show (on netflix) at the time and thought well why not watch two series at once. That didn't last long as I became quickly embroiled in the series. Once again I found myself obsessed with a Trek series and felt like this show as a good book I couldn't seem to put down. I devoured the episodes and took me about a month to get through the series.

I can't say how wrong I was about this series when it was on. I wished I had found about DS9 when it had started and I could have watched it then, however I probably wouldn't have understood it as I was quite young when it started. At times watching the show I remember thinking how this was Trek but yet so different from Trek.

After being such a Voyager fan (which was a pure action show at the expense of it's characters) to see DS9 as a character show where the action takes a back seat is quite interesting to see. What an opposite these two shows are! The relationships on this show were far richer, complex and compelling than on Voyager. You never seemed to know what was behind a motivate. I think Worf and Sisko's conversation (when Worf came into the series and didn't fit in at first), where Worf tells Sisko that he knew everyone's motives and new were he stood with them. Sisko replys that the people on the station were of many shades of grey. Plus this ensemble cast was wonderful! A true ensemble!

The interesting thing for me re-watching the series, I realized I'd seen pretty much the whole series in syndication and as I eventually grew to have an interest in it it didn't strike me as it does now. I think this is a series that you have to see in chronological order to really get the most of of this show and the wonderful rich characters it provided.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  13. K'retok

K'retok Cadet Newbie

Hey everyone, I thought I'd stop in and introduce myself. I'm somewhat of a new ST fan, as I first started getting into it in 2006 during my first deployment to Iraq (sidebar, I was in the U.S. Air Force for 7 years; separated in 2011.) I started watching Voyager there, and even got a bootleg copy of the entire series on DVD for like $50 there. When I first got back from that deployment I started watching DS9 reruns thanks to my DVR. My second deployment was to Afghanistan, and while I was there I got a bootleg copy of the entire series of DS9 on DVD as well, this time for like $90. I watched it all the way through during my time in Afghanistan, and I've been hooked ever since. Thanks to Netflix, I've now watched DS9 in its entirety 4 or 5 times, and I also got my current girlfriend into it as well. While I like all the Trek series (except Enterprise...haven't seen too much of it) DS9 is without a doubt my favorite. Being a military vet, I can relate to a lot of the material from the Dominion War. Plus I just think the series as a whole was very innovative and ahead of its time.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to chatting with everyone!!

14. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Hello K'retok. Always nice to see more Niners :)

15. Drusilla

Drusilla Ensign Red Shirt

Hello! I've been a lurker for awhile, but just got enough courage to create an account. I'm a HUGE DS9 fan and have been since I was a kid and it first came out.

16. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Hi Drusilla!

Glad you said hello, and welcome aboard!!

17. smudgietoo

smudgietoo Ensign Newbie

Hey Fellow Niners, if I may be so bold. Am very new to the site. Came looking for a place to get my Trek fix since they are closing down the discussion boards at the "official" Star Trek site.

Love Trek but DS9 is my favorite. I remember watching the first episode, with all the lights off, and seeing that meteor shoot across the screen.....I was hooked. I love the cast, admire the writing and agree that neither really gets enough credit.

Looking forward to chatting about all things DS9 in the future. Cheers :-)

18. mattpilgrim

mattpilgrim Cadet Newbie

Hi everyone,

I am very new to Star Trek. I started watching TOS in 2012 and just finished TNG. Now I am diving into DS9 and I thought it was time that I begun discussing this series with other Trekkies. I am only a quarter way through the first season but I love this show so far. Near the end of TNG I was getting tired of the formulaic nature of the show... also, am I the only one who became very irritated with Deanna? I think she may have gotten more air time in the seventh season (or maybe it just felt that way) which exposed her bad acting. Either way, I am glad to be taking a break from the Enterprise.

I look forward to joining in on the discussion of DS9. You guys seem like real friendly folk.

P.S. It's early but I like Garak a lot.

19. VORTEX8472

VORTEX8472 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hey fellow DS9 fans...

I was one of the reluctant Niners, grew up on TNG and then immediately jumped to VOY, watched DS9 intermittently whenever I was able too, but missed much of the fine narrative details.

In retrospect I'm grateful I waited and watched the entire series for the first time in 2005 on DVD when I was more mature; I fell in love with the characters, stories and the new darker-Trek perspective offered by this epic series. *Overall I enjoy all the series for their respective strengths and unique characters.

Happy to be a member of such an active community... :) PEACE!

20. strtrek

strtrek Cadet Newbie

Long time ST fan...but yep DS9 is my fav...I do watch every series over and over again, but i do look forward to when its DS9's turn....
    :techman: