Help needed to resolve argument re crew selection!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Hegh'bat, Nov 24, 2013.

?

whose away mission crew is best?

1. Captain Picard, Data and Odo

80.0%
  2. Seven of nine, the doctor from voyager and Quark

20.0%
  1. Hegh'bat

Hegh'bat Cadet Newbie

Hi I am new to this but need your help to resolve an argument between my partner and me. We each had to chose 3 characters from any star trek series to take on a mystery away mission. I chose Captian Picard, Data and Odo and though it had it sorted. They chose Seven of nine, the holographic doctor from voyager and Quark!!! They won't accept that they chose badly and that I have the better crew for an away misson! can you help? any comments or thoughts may help to resolve this gratefully recieved! thanks very much.:)

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

It all depends on what the away mission is, doesn't it? Landing party members are chosen based on their skills for the assignment. The leader of the party must have at least some awareness of the nature of the mission and what may be required. Last I checked, landing parties aren't decided by random selection.

3. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

With Borg nanoprobes, hologram technology, and all the information Seven and the Doc have at their disposal, maybe your partner has a point! I'm not sure what Quark brings to the table, but maybe if the away team finds themselves short of funds he can help out! ;)

From any era... I'd probably take Kirk, Spock and Data, myself. :)

But since this is all fairly subjective, I'm not sure your poll is going to "resolve" anything...

4. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

I think you're right. Picard is a good leader, and Date and Odo would be useful members of the team. While Seven and the Doctor are useful as well, Quark's expertise is really only on business matters, so unless the mission involved that he probably wouldn't be that useful. Picard's team has an edge it seems if combat is involved as well. Also, you have to consider how well they'd work together. With Picard, you've got a sound commander who could lead his team. But who would take command with Seven, Quark and the EMH? None are that experienced at leading missions. I think the Picard team would be more cohesive and much more able to complete a mission.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Picard isn't permitted on away teams.

:)

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Option 1. It gives you a strong and decisive leader, a super-intelligent and super-strong android, and a security chief that can become anything. The other only has cybernetic boobs, a gigantic ego, and lobes for business.

7. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Why would you need anybody else but Data? He can do everything.

8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Unless the mission entailed doing something illegal or off the books, Seven of Nine, the Doctor, and Quark's away team would just end in conflict.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I don't know. I want to see the ep where Seven, the EMH, and Quark go on a mission together. That sounds like a lot of fun.

10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

This could actually make for an interesting game. You have to fill a five-person away team but have to choose just one from each series, you could get some interesting combinations :)

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Doc, Seven and Quark would spend the mission arguing who's in charge.

For Picard, Data and Odo the only weakness would be if you had to work with less than idealist individuals in order to accomplish your goal. They've got the muscle, the stealth, the techno-prowess and the leadership. But if they had to deal with criminals to gather information, they can only offer threats and preaching.

Maybe Kirk, Data and Garak.

Why Garak? So when Kirk's shirt gets ripped, he has a tailor handy!

12. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As much as I love the guy, I am honestly at a loss as to what Quark would bring to that team that would be of any value outside of some very specific situations. Seven and The Doctor (she's a drone, he's a hologram, together they fight crime!) have a huge array of skills between them, and they'd be fun to watch, but that team needs a leader. On the other hand, I can't think of too many situations that the Picard/Data/Odo team couldn't handle.

13. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I think maybe your partner is rating on entertainment value? Picard, Data and Odo would pretty evidently take care of business more effectively; but any group with both Quark and the EMH involved is likely to be more fun to watch (albeit hilariously dysfunctional).

14. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

An away team composed of Lt. Boma (TOS), Lt Barclay (TNG), Quark (DS9), and the EMH (VOY).

Once on the surface they could bitch, moan, complain and be afraid to make decisions.

:)

15. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

That would be a good game but the away team is generally based on the mission. Technically though, this thread could be used for that. Plus, the thread is covered by the poll.

My any situation away team are:
    Riker, Worf, Data, Bashir, and Seven of Nine.

Worf is my tactical mind of choice; Riker can be tough, lenient, diplomatic, and aggressive when he needs to (I would have picked Kirk for the same reasons but Riker would work better with Worf); Data could assess the situation the best; Bashir and his augmented abilities would make him able to help in multiple ways other than just medically; and Seven of Nine is my wild card having Borg tech and knowledge backing her up.

16. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

7 of 9 would despise Quark. This would be amusing.