Marvel to make a Doctor Strange movie?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captaindemotion, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I could live with Johnson as Namor. I would like to see the character played by someone multi-ethnic or indefinably ethnic looking. An Atlantean should look just a little exotic, I think. I used to favour Marc Dacascos or Jason Scott Lee for the role but realistically that would never happen. I'd settle for The Rock, Vin Diesel or that guy who played the President's treacherous bodyguard in the last season of 24.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't think Namor's going to get his own movie any time soon.

3. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The last time I heard about a Namor movie, they were making it more like Aquaman (a surface dweller finds out he's a prince of Atlantis). But that's all wrong. He's supposed to be raised as a prince under the ocean as he comes to hate humanity. That's the whole key to the character. And if you were to do Namor properly, it would be absurdly expensive with huge CGI deep sea environments for much of the movie.

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

OTOH, it could be another Avatar. Exotic, immersive CGI world, environmental themes...

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I expect "Sub-Mariner" "Punisher" and "Doctor Strange" being officially announced in that news we're supposedly getting this fall. Namor has been a pretty popular character since he's joined the X-Men and of course he's been a supporting character in Jonathon Hickman's FF.

6. Captaindemotion

I actually think Tom Cruise might make a good Doctor Strange. He could convey the arrogance of the pre-accident Steven Strange and has a sort of ageless look to him - young enough to still be the lead but old enough to be experienced doctor.

Plus it might get him out of playing Jack Reacher, for whom he is horribly miscast!

7. Temis the Vorta

I always envision Strange being a fairly tall guy. At 5'7" Cruise would be a bit too short. Depp is 5'10", that's just tall enough. Bradley Cooper at 6'1" is more like it.

8. Captaindemotion

^ I just want him to drop out of playing the 6'5" Jack Reacher! lol. But height aside, I think he could manage a decent Strange. Not that it's likely to be on the radar.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

That's what the Cloak of Levitation is for . . . .

10. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Depp. This is probably the one mainstream Marvel character he is most suited to play.

11. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I'd love to see a Doc Strange movie done well. He's always been one of my faves.

As for the actor, how about that guy who played Baltar on nuBSG and Doctor Old Spice on Eureka?

12. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cruise as Reacher! NO!!!!

You are joking? I hope.

13. Captaindemotion

14. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You guys think Sean Penn would ever do something like this? Or ever approached to do something like this?

15. Captaindemotion

^ Sean Penn might have been an interesting Wolverine. There was also a rumour that Nolan wanted him for The Joker for TDK. But something like Dr Strange? I can't see him doing it.

16. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sean Penn is old.

17. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He is, but not too long ago he was also in talks to play Larry in The Three Stooges revival.

18. Temis the Vorta

You mean James Callis? He isn't conventionally handsome enough to play a lead superhero. But a villain or second banana would be perfect for him, assuming he's high profile enough to be considered for such a role, which he probably isn't.

Superheroes need to be conventionally handsome like Chris Evans, or if they're somewhat off-kilter characters, they can be unconventionally handsome like Robert Downey Jr. But the acceptable range is very narrow. The likes of Jeff Goldblum are entirely off the menu.

19. Captaindemotion

^Off the top of my head, in the not-conventionally handsome department there's been Michael Keaton, Michael Chiklis, Ray Stevenson (Punisher), Ed Norton (Hulk) and Downey. And Daniel Craig, if you count James Bond as a superhero (he kinda is).

20. Temis the Vorta

Of that list, only Chilkis can't qualify even as unconventionally handsome, and the Thing isn't a lead character. I've always thought Keaton and Norton are pretty attractive guys (not so sure about Keaton nowadays, but back in the day...)

Some folks think Craig is good-looking. I think he looks like he got his butt switched with his face, but that's just me. Anyway, to call Bond a superhero is a pretty big stretch.