TMP's uniforms

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by RobertScorpio, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I just realized that Decker, Rand, and possibly Chapel also have the shoulder tabs, like Kirk, in that first bright picture...

2. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

They are all wearing the jumpsuit, so that is correct for that uniform. The class B's used shoulder tabs as well. The class A's, which kirk is wearing, do not.

3. Praetor

Ah, gotcha.

4. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Is this the scene where the only surviving footage is a photo on a bubble gum card or something?

Yeah, I remember reading that as well.

5. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

That's the one. I don't know if it's a true fact, as I have never seen the still in question and it was not reproduced on said website where I got this info. But it specifically used that cast picture and said that the uniform which Jimmy Doohan was wearing was for that sequence.

It was a good idea, but I think the rush job on the film and the unfinished script did not allow for a proper execution.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Did they use modified TMP uniforms for rthe Regula One crew in TWOK?

7. Praetor

^I believe they did - the short-sleeved ones in particular.

8. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

^Moreover, the TMP Class-D jumpsuits were dyed and used to create the traniee (red collar) and enlisted (black collar) uniforms. The Class-A's were also dyed maroon and used underneath the security armor.

In fact, the TMP uniforms were test dyed for a variety of colors, including Navy, to see what would take the best. Maroon took the best; thus also giving us the color of the officer's coats so as to match the re-purposed TMP uniforms.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

So that's why the jackets are that ugly maroon? Due purely to fabric-dyeing considerations?

10. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's a variant of the TMP uniforms (a one-piece uniform with an external pants pocket and cuffs on the sleeves) that were in some of the publicity photos (this particular shot is a scan from one of the Topps ST:TMP trading cards from 1979), but I do not recall seeing them in the film itself...

[​IMG]

11. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Pretty much. Although, it seems that I misremembered. I recalled maroon/dark red being the color that took the best... maybe from another interview, or my short-circuit memory.

It is discussed in this interview with Fletcher:

http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/tmp_5.php

They wore those uniforms underneath their landing party jackets. Scotty wears one in the final scene on the bridge and Decker wears it in his first scene in the film and in the infamous "woody shot" in the corridor.

Moreover, these were the jumpers that were altered to be the enlisted (black collar) and trainee (red collar) jumpers in TWOK.

Decker:
    http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tmp/themotionpicture0251.jpg

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tmp/themotionpicture0286.jpg

Kirk with jacket off, showing the jumper (as seen in the pic above):

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tmp/themotionpicture1498.jpg

Scotty in his:
    http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tmp/themotionpicture1499.jpg

12. cardinal biggles

I guess they weren't in that big of a rush to save Earth if they had time to change into the one-piece uniforms. I thought they'd just thrown the jackets on over what they were wearing before. :p

13. Praetor

I thought so too. :vulcan:

14. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Must've been one of the cut scenes where Illa tells them they have time to change because V'Ger is still fixing their milk and cookies.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, given the clothing-materialization technology implied in Ilia's shower scene, perhaps the idea was that changing uniforms was as simple as stepping into a booth and pushing a button. The jumpsuits might've been deemed more appropriate for an away mission for some reason.

16. Ryan Thomas Riddle

I'd forgotten about the "spray and wear" concept in TMP. The jumpers are more utilitarian, so I can see them taking the time to spray and go.

17. cardinal biggles

Was the "spray and wear" clothing part of GR's concept for Phase II? I could see them getting some great comedy out of those... all it takes is one computer virus and you've got Scotty in a tutu and Spock dressed like Captain Jack Sparrow.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  18. Ryan Thomas Riddle

I don't recall ever seeing it mentioned in anything on Phase II, but it certainly could have been since a lot of what was PII went into TMP. The first time I saw the term "spray-and-wear" was in the Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture book. I just looked up the chapter on Robert Fletcher and it only mentions that GR believed in "throwaway" fashions in the 23rd Century, not where the concept originated.

19. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, that's what I always thought! Oh the details!

20. GodThingFormerly

GodThingFormerly A Different Kind of Asshole

An "American" in Friedrichshafen, Deutschland
    "The same distinction between Earth and space-faring lifestyle will apply to clothing. Style and material of space uniforms and working clothes will be functional and professional, suited to the occupation of the wearer.

For all we know, there may be very new types of clothing in the world of the future. Rather than using the really archaic, bothersome clothing that we are accustomed to, requiring change, cleaning, pressing, mending, tailoring, buttoning, zippering, and so on, future folks will have non-reusable clothing that is recycled after each use through total breakdown into its constituent elements by that great innovation of the future: the fusion torch.

Even better, many future people will carry nothing but a belt. But what a belt!

This small device contains a rechargeable power source, a tiny microprocessor/computer, a force field generator, and a selector keyboard that allows almost infinite settings. By punching up coded combinations, the power belt wearer dresses by establishing fabrics if force fields around his or her body: selectively skintight or flowing, opaque or transparent, any desired texture, cut, fashion, size, shape, color and hue. The garment never needs cleaning, and its wearer can get undressed at the push of a button (no mess of discarded clothes), has no recycling problems, and can change attire at the flick of a finger. Of course, a safety switch protects against accidental exposure (and practical jokes aimed at attractive wearers). On the other hand, seduction intentions will never again be frustrated by stuck zippers or lengthy disrobings.

With power belts like this, it will be quite a widespread custom (are you ready?) for office girls to change from office attire to after-work topless by pressing a button, in order to signal that they are going off duty. (For office boys, other and even stranger customs will prevail.) Naturally, there will be a flourishing fashion industry selling pushbutton code combination for new and popular styles."
    - The 23rd Century: A Vision for Star Trek by Jesco von Puttkamer (1976).

You know, it just occurred to me that JvP's "forcefield couture" would be rather easy to depict with modern CGI.

TGT