Farscape or Babylon 5?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by kirk55555, Jul 30, 2012.

1. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I phrased that wrong. I wasn't confused or thought using telepaths came out of nowhere (the episode with Bester and the frozen telepathswas just a few episodes a go) I was just mentioning that it turned out they were right about using telepaths, which I had already guessed would be the case.

Ok, this is the last comment about this I think I'll answer, for the sake of not clogging the thread anymore. We didn't get all the answers about every little thing Londo does, he could still do stuff that effects the war and other people in ways I can't guess. but, his personal story arc about himself, what will happen to him specifically (who he'll ally with, wether he will redeem himself or die a tool of the shadows) has been definitive answered. There is no mystery as to what happens in the end. sure, they don't tell us exactly how he gets there, but we know the destination, which means the questions that were a big part of his personal story have been answered, making his personal story pointless because you know what his big choice will be at the end, he stays an ally of the shadows and doesn't get redemption (atleast until the very end, where he saves Delenn and Sheapard and has G'Kar stop him from being a puppet anymore).

Yeah, I think you're right. like I said above, the conversation about Londo's personal story isn't going anywhere. We're not going to agree. There is much more stuff to talk about with B5. I'll still watch and enjoy Londo's stuff, regardless of wether his scenes involving his personal story arc have any point going forward.

2. kirk55555

Accidental double post

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The simple answer to your supposition here: your wrong about what happens. Watch and see. Open your mind Grasshopper.

4. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thankfully, And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place is next.

Your assumption is wrong. Your assumption is completely wrong.

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, Grey 17 is Missing gets unfairly put on many bottom 3 or 5 episode lists. The Garibaldi stuff in Section Grey17 didn't come off successfully and is pretty bad, (especially measuring against the rest of B5), but, the Minbari stuff with Neroon (Our Moderator's Namesake), Marcus, Delenn and Lennier is great, and is important to the arc, such as establishing Delenn as Sinclair's replacement as En'til'zha.

If the episode was named for the Minbari stuff, I think it would go higher on alot of people's list. As it is, people think of the episode and the first thing that comes to mind is Jeremiah and the Zarg and the homemade cannon, and it gets thrown to the bottom of the dumpster with little more thought

6. kirk55555

I didn't think the whole episode was that bad, but the Grey 17 stuff seemed like it could've be interesting. A whole missing/sealed off section? They could have done some cool stuff with that idea. Instead, it was just really, really annoying. The delenn stuff was interesting, and important, I just wish they had gone a different route with the Grey 17 stuff.

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

And Robert Englund too, who woulda thought it would turn out missing the mark by so much.

8. Snatcher42

Snatcher42 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The problem with the Londo stuff is that it's hard for us to respond without getting into spoilers. Kirk, I'm gonna reply one more time, not to be argumentative or anything, but just in that hope that you'll be able to enjoy this great arc of the show. If not, well, again lets just revisit it later on.

Hmm, see, it really hasn't. You only think it has. I'm gonna put the next part in a spoiler tag. It's not super specific or anything, but you may still want to hold off on it. Your choice.

You're assuming the shadows (or whoever they are) are on Centauri Prime because Londo is their ally. But couldn't there be other explanations for what you saw? Londo's actions may not make sense in any other context yet, but you're missing a few pieces of the puzzle. If you have time, go back and re-watch these scenes. The hints are there.

And that's the last thing I'll say about it for now. ;)

9. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

The Marcus/Neroon/Delenn story is definitely my favorite part of 'Grey 17'. The rest is meh. Neroon is another cool character. Always dug when he popped up in an episode. Another character with a good arc.

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, that's definitely too spoilery for Kirk55555's taste. I recommend that he not read it. Just suffice it to say that what he thinks he knows is wrong.

11. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    No one is what they seem on B5.

12. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They're both ace, but Babylon 5 for me, I just love it so much!

Ah, the '90s. The golden age of genre TV.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This thread inspired to start a rewatch, in chronological order this time. I started with In The Beginning, which I loved. I kind of forgot just how good the show was when it was good.

14. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Just trying to make a point. You have a tendency to cling with absolutely certainty to your preconceptions even when told they are wrong. Try to let the story unfold as it will.

15. Aeon

Aeon Commander Red Shirt

Indeed.

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

You'd think the fact that *everyone* in this thread is telling him exactly the same thing would at least make him stop and think, no?

Yeah, anyway, Grey 17 is pretty well known as one of the worst episodes of the whole series (of which there are few and it isn't even *that* bad) to the point where even JMS all but disowns it.

The Marcus/Neroon stuff is good, but for various reasons the whole Garibaldi side of the story just didn't come together at the writing stage and the poor execution of the creature just made it worse.

17. kirk55555

And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place - This was a good episode, and Londo was great in it, as always. Londo was harsh with Vir, but I liked how his plan worked out in the end. It was nice to hear that there is a resistance on earth to the president (who is actually more of a dictator at this point), and that not all humans on earth are idiots. Delenn got a bit annoying at the end, when she freaked out when Sheridan said he was thinking like the enemy. Trying to figure out what your enemy is going to do (aka thinking like the enemy) seems like a pretty important thing to do. But, I guess just randomly reacting to the enemy beats trying to figure out what they're doing and stop them before they do it :vulcan: I'm glad Londo saved Vir. I figured that his plan was not what he said it was. It was interesting seeing G'Kar on the narn homeworld, and the ending was weird, but it was an interesting scene. The music made it different, but it was a good scene. I'm glad that Londo didn't actually turn in G'Kar. Not that it would have mattered, since G'Kar obviously isn't going to die anytime soon. The fleet of white stars was cool. Anyway, this was a good episode, with Londo's stuff being especially good, and since it didn't involve any decisions regarding the shadows it wasn't even ruined by the fact that I know what happens to him (although I did know that G'kar and Vir would be fine, but I probably would have guessed that anyway). Also, I'm just stating what I think, when I talk about Londo stuff from now on don't be surprised if there is references to how much or little its involved/ruined by the idiotic spoiler. That said, I'm still not going to talk about the spoiler more than I already have out of context to specific episodes.

18. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

this is my 2nd favorite scene in the series. i absolutely love the gospel song being played and it accompanies the Refa beat down real well.

the whole episode is really done well. one of my top 5.

this ep also sets a major arc in motion.

19. Rye

Rye Ensign Red Shirt

I've never seen Babylon 5, so I cannot speak for its quality. What I can tell you, is Farscape is by far the greatest sci-fi show I've watched in my life. It doesn't have the franchise or geek appeal as Star Trek, but it is an emotional rollercoaster through the lives of an unlikely crew. You very clearly watch all the characters develop, and see through the eyes of John as he loses his mind during their adventures. It can be a bit over-the-top at times, but it more then makes up for it with excellent acting, and writing.

I cannot tell you if Babylon 5 is good or not, but I can tell you that if you watch Farscape, you won't be disappointed. Farscape is also on Netflix instant-view, if you have a computer or TV capable of streaming it. It will probably be higher quality then a DVD, as well. They may not have season 4 (About two years ago when I watched it), but seasons 1-3 I know are on there.

EDIT: Oh wow, I did not know how long and old this thread was, so I was responding to the original post. My bad xD.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Farscape is not streaming on Netflix any more. I searched for it last week and all I got was discs.