What was the point of the Bolian guy in Insurrection?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by toughlittleship, Jul 22, 2013.

1. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Yep, i think that was it.

3. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Commander Red Shirt

It's a continuance of a running joke from TNG, Picard disliked going to the ship's Bolian barber because he talked too much.

I guess Bolians are the know-it-alls of the universe.

4. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it just highlighted the current tedium of his life, and how he was desperate for a cause to fight, a puzzle to solve, and an adventure to be had.

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's of course a bit odd that this apparent Starfleet officer would choose this very moment to approach Picard. There should have been better ones, earlier on, for anybody serving aboard the ship. Was he not part of the regular Enterprise crew?

If he came aboard at this particular time... Why? (And why did Worf arrive right then, too?) Were there other starships present for the ceremony? And if there were, why all the fuss about Picard, and why the absence of the other skippers?

Timo Saloniemi

6. TenLubak

TenLubak Commander Red Shirt

He was there for the ceremony and to make an appearance after he heard that it may be filmed and wanted to talk to Picard, so he butted his blue face on camera for a second.

7. Zippo and Flask

Zippo and Flask Lieutenant Red Shirt

Chell certainly was, on Voyager. He also sported the bling.

8. Anduril

Anduril Nose down. Throttle up. Captain

In my opinion, he was sorta the same character as Hutch in Starship Mine. Except he doesn't die. Just random Starfleet Captain. I think Hutch was a Commander though, I could be wrong.

9. Zippo and Flask

Zippo and Flask Lieutenant Red Shirt

Did Hutch die?

I guess I need to re-watch that episode.

10. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

We never quite learn why his fate should be different from LaForge's, who definitely doesn't die. Hutchkinson collapses on the floor from a gunshot, much like LaForge moments before, and action then moves to the starship; when the camera returns to the planet, we see a body completely wrapped in tablecloth. Dead or alive? This body is never seen again...

We basically never see the old "cloth pulled over the victim's face" trick being applied to a living person (unless it's part of a scam of some sort). And covering poor Hutch in tablecloth probably doesn't qualify as a futuristic medical technique! It might have been different if he had been seen wrapped in some exotic silver material that might be a stasis bag or whatever... The way it's shot, he does appear dead as a dodo.

Timo Saloniemi