Sayings that you hate now

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Nov 21, 2012.

1. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

That's not what the article says. (Emphasis added.)

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Hmmm, I remembered previously reading that, while couldn't care less certainly appeared in British usage before could care less appeared in American usage, that couldn't care less didn't appear in American usage until after. However, you're probably right.

Still, given that it only appeared in American usage, it seems logical to conclude that it was more of a cultural thing, rather than just someone messing up.

3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Unless "messing up" happens to be a cultural thing. ;)

4. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I got another one I don't think was mentioned already...

"You live here!", said after I would tell a visitor that I'm not sure how to get to a place in an part of town I don't frequent".

Just because I live in a given city doesn't mean I know exactly how to go to a tourist spot with a well mapped out route. I lived in the DC area for about nine years combined, and I couldn't tell you exactly how to get to the Pentagon from my university or even my in-laws' (via car).

5. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^Wow, I get asked by tourists for directions all the time, and they're never bitchy to me when I don't know how to get somewhere. How annoying! Once I overheard a dude giving directions to some particularly obnoxious tourists who wanted to get to Broadway. Without missing a beat he told them to take the A train to Broadway Junction. It was mean, but also hilarious.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

While sitting at my bar and drinking beer, tourists always ask me, "So what is there to do around here?"

I always look at them and say, "You're pretty much doing it."

7. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Reminds me of the old joke:

"Excuse me, how do I get to Carnegie Hall?"

"Practice, practice, practice!"

8. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

They must like you, not me.

I remember this one time when I was in a group hanging out somewhere, when a car stopped. The driver asked for directions to some place. One of the guys gave him direction to some locale in the opposite direction.