New Series ??

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Nero's Shadow, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I've been watching fringe a lot lately just at the end of series 4 and I'm really enjoying it at the moment.... So it got me thinking could the writing team including JJ make a really good Star Trek series.

I know we've got the franchise going again but fringe the series is really really good !!! And a Star Trek series done by them could be really good as well .? Well thoughts anyone ???

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Moving this to "Future of Trek".

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Personally, I think it's more likely we'll get an animated series aimed at a younger audience (say, the current G.I. Joe, Transformers, and Spider-man cartoon crowd) than a live-action one aimed at older folks. But even if there is another live-action series after Star Trek XIII, I think Abrams will move on from Trek by the end of this decade and someone else will take over. It could be Abrams' partner Bob Orci or someone we're unfamiliar with, but has strong producing credentials.

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Main problem: space opera costs $$$$, the audience is inherently limited. Hard to overcome that math. Also, CBS has no obvious reason to push for Star Trek on TV.

Solutions:

-Animated series on the Cartoon Network a la The Clone Wars, which no doubt the new owners will move over to DisneyXD, so hey, Cartoon Network will need a replacement, right?

-Reduce the SFX related costs while somehow not losing the Trek-ness of it all. Would a Gary Seven series be appealing? How about a series set in the future that takes place only or mainly on a single alien world?

-The next movie is a huge success and someone, most likely Bob Orci, makes a concerted effort to leverage that success into a convincing pitch to CBS, which decides against all their ingrained corporate habits to take a risk for a change.

5. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree. Animated television series and continue making live-action motion pictures.

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

You know, when someone posts a thread title like "New Series?" usually it contains info about a possible new series, not just the OP going "I'd like there to be a new series."

Just sayin'.

7. Temis the Vorta

Yeah stop getting our hopes up. :p

8. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Sorry guys my thread should of said can JJ and his writing team make a new series for tv ??? Sorry for getting you all excited !!!!

9. Temis the Vorta

We're an excitable bunch. :D

10. RisingEmber

RisingEmber Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I read an article that said that Michael Dorn is in the works of trying to get a spin-off for Worf's character. I personally would LOVE to see that. I loved seeing him as the stoic Klingon. ;)

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Yes, there have been several posts about this. In a nutshell, it doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of happening.

12. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

A Star Trek: Worf! series has about as much chance as Star Trek: Captain Sulu! of being a major motion picture starring George Takei.

13. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, poster above me beat me to it, but I remember Takei wandering around the convention circuit in the early-mid 90s trying to get an Excelsior series made and that didn't really fly.

I'd like to see a new series, but I want it to be a really compelling series and not just a generic Trek focus groupped to "perfection". I want more interesting characters than we were seeing out of VOY and ENT and I want Trek to tackle tough social issues again.

14. shadowmonitor

shadowmonitor Cadet Newbie

Or the Producers of a new Trek series could take the same stance that the BSG producers did and not focus so much on the "Space Opera" and make it about the interaction amongst the crew.
    A ST: Worf series would last about a season if it even got green lighted. There is only so much scowling and stoicism you can put on TV. Think about it, you ever heard of a Klingon Diplomate? Anyway, it stands about the same chance as a TNG reboot.

15. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I had the same thought while watching Fringe. It's extremely well produced, I'd love to see a Trek series in that same style. It wouldn't even have to be in space all the time, if it's too expansive.

16. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Kor was the Klingon ambassador to Vulcan.

:)

17. C.E. Evans

There was also the Klingon ambassador to the Federation in Star Treks IV and VI (offscreen sources say his name was Ambassador Kamarag).

General Korrd was serving as the Klingon ambassador to Nimbus III in Star Trek V.

18. mynameisdan409

mynameisdan409 Cadet Newbie

I think that they should've got a new series off the ground before Abrams film came along. After he completes his trilogy, then what? It's been almost 8 years since Enterprise got cancelled and we're not going to get a new series for some time. I see it as create a new series then make a couple films off that series. Granted, the movies probably wouldn't make the money needed to market to a mainstream audience but it's just an idea.

19. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Would a new show use mainly greenscreen tech to cut down on set costs?
    Assuming CGI has a minimum quality to it to not look like 90s B5 all the time or cheap web series?
    Could be interesting to have a less static universe with Trek visuals that way.

20. C.E. Evans

You'd wind up with CGI looking exactly like that (the less detailed the CGI, the cheaper it is). The CGI used in Star Wars: The Clone Wars is relatively expensive, driving each 30-minute episode a little over a million bucks each.