Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

I didn't think it was that bad. Equal with Superman 3 IMO.

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

If one were to assume he were genetically predisposed to have such a build, and had what amounts to steroids naturally produced in his body due to being supercharged by the yellow sun, weights wouldn't be even be necessary. This would be especially true if Kryptonians don't have an equivalent to our bodies' system of storing energy as fat due to their metabolism being at least partially solar powered.

3. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Under a red sun, a lot. Under a yellow sun, it wouldn't matter. :lol:

4. DrBashir

DrBashir Commander

Watch the scene in Superman where he decides to tell Lois the truth. He goes from Clark to Superman and back to Clarin in under a minute by removing his glasses and changing his posture. Chris Reeve SOLD that movie on that one moment.

5. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not even that I disagree, but if I hear that one more time I think I'll set myself on fire.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Reeve's Clark was fun to watch...for a couple of scenes. His comedic value was very much a one-note thing that quickly became tiredly repetitious, and only really interesting in the couple of serious moments when Supes' underlying personality would peek through the charade.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hopefully not Kal's chest heirs.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

So is it safe to say that the highlights of this thread so far are:

-Clark's hair
    -No Underoos
    -Clark's chest hair
    -Amy Adams is OLD! Old I tells ya!

Am I missing something? :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  9. Myasishchev

^Lois Lane is a mummy with the wrong color hair clinging to her dusty skull.

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

11. Admiral_Young

Damn. How could I have forgotten about Old Lois?

12. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

The thing about the Clark/Superman nobody-sees-through-the-disguise-thing is, we, the audience, know it, of course. But why would anyone in-universe think Superman had a secret identity? He's not wearing a mask.

And so, that journalist with the glasses looks a lot like Superman. But could it be him? Seriously, though, why would Superman, of all people, work at a newspaper. That's like, I don't know, seeing someone who looks like Matt Damon working in an office. Yeah, he looks like him, but there's no way. Maybe some even think about it enough to tell him "Hey, you know, you look a lot like Matt Damon", but he just says: "Yeah, I get that a lot. Even thought about doing some look-alike appearances, but I got little enough leisure time as it is."

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't mind Reeve's performance but I do object to this weird idea that a lot of fans have that anyone who comes afterwards has to be some form of impression of Reeve's version of Superman rather than simply doing their own version.

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Jessica Alba is too Hispanic to be Sue Storm?

15. Myasishchev

Confirmation that Snyder will ignore The Last Stand.

16. Admiral_Young

Indeed. As always...

17. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So where's the Kryptonian Roid Rage?

18. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

The thing is in real life it is so easy to recognize people with their glasses off. It is one of the weakest disguises in superhero lore.

19. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Somehow I get the feeling you really didn't get my point.

It's not about the glasses. It's about "Why the heck would Superman live as a normal man working as a journalist". Remember, to anyone in-universe (Silver Age-Lois aside), Superman has no secret identity.

John Byrne even did a story in which Lex Luthor has a computer working on the relation between Superman and Clark Kent, and when the computer tells him that they are the same person, he trashes the computer because to him it makes no sense that someone as powerful as Superman would disguise himself as a normal man.

20. Myasishchev

You know, as much as I liked that story as a one-off, it struck me as increasingly silly that Luthor never followed up on it as years became decades.

On the other hand, you could make a good argument that even if Lex Luthor did know, it wouldn't be particularly useful information. It's not like knowing Batman is Bruce Wayne, where you can destroy his supporting infrastructure or attack him when he's weak, like Bane did. Superman is never weak.

You blow up Clark Kent's apartment building or the Daily Planet, you just have an ashy invulnerable man floating in the sky. You kill Lois Lane, all you've done is remove any thought of restraint from the most powerful person on Earth. This assuming you could even sneak up on him in the first place, which you couldn't.

I guess you could try to destroy Clark Kent's life, but only to a pathetic degree. Like, is it very plausible that anyone is going to try to fine the Planet for paying an illegal alien, revoke a marriage license for being entered into under a false name, or commence deportation proceedings for a living god? Even if that worked, all you've accomplished is exiling Kent and Lane to the North Pole where they can devote their entire lives to fucking you up. If anything, letting Clark Kent exist is good for Luthor, since the time off Superman needs to be Clark, hold a job (however tenuously), and somehow maintain his marriage (despite being a terrible husband) at least levels the field a little bit.