TOS Episode commentary

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by marsomthing, May 19, 2013.

1. marsomthing

marsomthing Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Glancing through the recent blu ray thread got me thinking about TOS commentary. Are there any DVDs/ blu ray that have decent commentary from actors,directors, etc? I have a rip off DVD set from Japan or something that I'm 99% sure doesn't have any.

I think that would be really interesting for someone like me who loves watching it but still doesn't know a lot about what went in behind the scenes.

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Two good books for behind-the-scenes materiel:

The Making Of Star Trek by Stephen E. Whitfield.
    Inside Star Trek: The Real Story by Herbert F. Solow & Robert H. Justman.

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

David Gerrold did an interesting commentary track for "The Trouble with Tribbles" on the bluray season two set, but aside from that, no.

4. marsomthing

I have the inside trek in the mail as we speak. So I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm currently reading Star Trek FAQ by Mark Clark.

5. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good choice.

Inside Star Trek is the closest thing to a definitive account, IMO. Loads of evidence in the form of memo's and interviews from a variety of those involved.

There was a nice coffee table book called Star Trek 365, published a couple of years ago, which has lots of pictures and half page episode summaries - it was fun to read each entry after watching the episode.

When I was a kid my one and only Trek book was the Star Trek Compendium- lots of facts and a short review of each episode, but god knows if you can get it these days.

A few notches down the accuracy scale, you could check out the spate of TOS actor autobiographies in the early 90's, but I'm not sure if they are still in print either...

6. LogicDeLuxe

LogicDeLuxe Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

7. marsomthing

Thanks for the heads up, I have that alternate reality set upstairs...time to dust it off!

I have been enjoying the ease of watching every series on netflix and havn't touched a dvd since they released them.