Federation flags in other languages

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Sci, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Made flags in German and Italian today. I'm not all that pleased with my "G" and my "Z," but oh well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Captain Captain

How about in the original Klingon? :shifty:

[​IMG]

(Probably not 'accurately' translated, but I just wanted to join in the fun.) :)

3. Sci

Niiiiiiice! I like!

Could you make one that follows the blue/white color scheme?

4. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Captain Captain

Sure thing, dude. :techman:

[​IMG]

5. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Sweet work.

6. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can anyone positively ID the font on the flag? It's pretty similar to Times New Roman, but the characters seem only slightly thicker and more square in proportion to me. I used a bold Times Nw Roman on the Russian flag, but it isn't quite right.

Okuda? Sternbach? Probert?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  7. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, I've finally found the real, 100% certified font for this flag. It's Hercules Text Bold. I'm absolutely positive on this one, because all of the letters match, and it's a Mac font. ;)

8. Sci

Sorry to raise a Zombie Thread From Beyond the Grave, but I have a request for anyone who might be interested. Spoilers ahead for the recent Star Trek: Mirror Universe novel Rise Like Lions by David Mack:

I'm looking to see about submitting a conjectural flag for the Galactic Commonwealth to Memory Beta. The Galactic Commonwealth is the interstellar state eventually created by the Terran Rebellion and its allies after they finally succeed in overthrowing the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance and liberating the former worlds of the Terran Empire. It's meant to be a counterpart to the Federation -- inspired by the Federation's ideals and beliefs, a liberal democracy that practices equality and exploration rather than a dictatorship that practices tyranny and conquest. Its capital is Deneva.

Anyway, I'm looking to submit a conjectural flag for the Commonwealth to Memory Beta, as a supplemental image to be voted on by Memory Beta users. I've hit on the idea of the Flag of the Galactic Commonwealth looking identical to the Federation Flag, except with red replacing the blue, and with the legend "GALACTIC COMMONWEALTH" appearing below the seal rather than "UNITED FEDERATION OF PLANETS," but in the same font (Hercules Text Bold).

I would make it myself, but, I don't have Hercules Text Bold and I cannot afford it. I was wondering if someone with the font who has better Photoshop-fu than I might be willing to undertake this endeavor and receive "created by" credit for it if it's accepted at Memory Beta?

9. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would think the color red might have too much negative connotation, given that it does bring up the thought of blood or violence. Then again: 1) the U.S. flag does use it, and 2) the Terran Empire used yellow as their primary color, so that would probably be the last color used, as opposed to red.

I would think that red wouldn't be the only main color used, or maybe a compromise between red and blue, namely violet. Just food for thought.

10. Birdog

Birdog Commander Red Shirt

The US flag uses red to symbolize blood. The blood that was spilled to toss the Brits on their ear.

11. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

that's hardly universal, though, even here on earth.

violet. like.. klingon blood?

12. Sci

Well, we did see red prominently used on the Flag of the Terran Empire, at least as it existed in the 20th or 21st Centuries, from "In A Mirror, Darkly"'s opening titles:

[​IMG]

It's possible, of course, that the 23rd Century Terran Empire no longer used that flag.

But my reasons for picking red were as follows:
    1. To signify that this is still the Mirror Universe, and that the Galactic Commonwealth is still a counterpart, not a copy, of the Federation, though it has embraced the Federation's ideals. Red and blue being typically thought of as opposing colors.

2. To acknowledge that, yes, the Galactic Commonwealth is the successor state of the Terran Empire and of the short-lived Terran Republic, and that it would likely inherit some cultural idiosyncrasies, even if it has renounced militarism and imperialism and embraced egalitarian liberty.

3. That red being the color of blood for many species, red could also symbolize the blood shed by the Terran Rebellion and Memory Omega in establishing the Commonwealth.

My only other thought would be that, given the key role Vulcans played in Spock's plan, including the deaths of untold millions of Vulcans upon their planet being razed in 2295 and millions more dying throughout Klingon and Cardassian space when their roles as Memory Omega sleeper agents were revealed, the Commonwealth might use blood green as its flag's primary color -- to honor the blood shed by Vulcans throughout the conflict.

My inclination would be to hypothesize that the Galactic Commonwealth's flag is red, but that Memory Omega, which becomes its de facto space force, ends up as a mostly Vulcan-dominated institution with a green service flag. But that's just pure speculation on my part.

This is a common belief, but it's actually just a folk tale. When the Continental Congress approved the first Flag of the United States during the Revolutionary War, their papers included no documents to indicate any particular symbolism behind the colors. More than likely, they simply used red, white, and blue because those were the colors of the British flag -- the Union Jack itself being the result of combining St. George's Cross, the Flag of the Kingdom of England, with St. Andrew's Cross, the Flag of the Kingdom of Scotland, when those two kingdoms dissolved and formed a united Kingdom of Great Britain.

13. JES

No, Klingon blood is more pink than violet, at least as I remember it. More like purple, perhaps a reddish violet, bluish violet, or a utilization of both.
    Funny how I didn't remember that flag, especially given that I watched those episodes more than once. Still, that said, I still see this as yet another reason why red wouldn't be used as the primary color. It might be used, but not predominantly.

I think that Memory Omega might want to emphasize that the Commonwealth is going to be very different from the Empire, probably as different as the Empire was to the Federation. I think it is more likely that more green would be used than red, than red would be used as a majority of the color.

14. Sci

*shrugs* Yeah, I mean, this is obviously a completely subjective bit of speculation. I've listed my reasons for speculating that the Galactic Commonwealth would pick red.

Maybe we could have two versions -- one red, one green, and submit them both to Memory Beta?

A perfectly fair argument -- except, it wouldn't really be Memory Omega's decision to make; the Commonwealth is a democracy, and it would be the decision of its legislature, the Commonwealth Assembly. :evil:

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

16. Sci

That might make for an interesting interpretation, but I want to point out that the Commonwealth of Nations and the Galactic Commonwealth don't have much in common except the word "commonwealth" in their names. The Galactic Commonwealth is a sovereign state, with a democratically elected government; the Commonwealth of Nations is an intergovernmental organization comprised of many sovereign states who hold membership in it, and use it as a forum for multilateral diplomacy.

17. JES

That is a fair suggestion. I also speculate it might be a combo of red and green, or the color that is made when red and green are mixed (which I can't recall right now). Or it might use all of the above in one flag.

18. Sci

I'd be interested in seeing any of those combinations.

As it stands, I can create a red (or green) flag... I just don't have the tools to add in "GALACTIC COMMONWEALTH" below the seal in the proper font.

*shrugs* On the other hand, perhaps Memory Omega wouldn't want to be seen as unduly influencing the symbols of the state, for fear of creating the impression of a military-dominated government. Yet another variation to perhaps consider making?

One of the more intelligent, and interesting, aspects of the direction the Mirror Universe novel line took the Empire's story is that the Empire's systems of domination were made more complicated. In ENT's "In A Mirror, Darkly," the Empire was revealed as Human state that enslaved and oppressed all other races. At the end of the ENT-era MU novel Age of the Empress, however, the Empire changed -- it accepted Vulcans as Humans' equals, with key Vulcans serving in Empress Sato's government. The Sorrows of Empire established that this process continued into the 23rd Century, with the elites of numerous worlds eventually embracing the Empire. So by the time of Spock's ascension, the Empire had become a mechanism for elite domination of numerous worlds, but the non-Human races were not racially oppressed anymore -- rather, the oppression became that of the common people by those the Imperial government favored, with native Governors ruling their worlds in the Empress's name.

So, everyone would hate the Empire, yeah -- but it wouldn't be a Terrans-vs-everyone-else thing, even though Terrans remained the dominant species. The average Human would have felt as oppressed by the Empire as any Vulcan or Denobulan.

19. Sci

Put together some rough versions of the Galactic Commonwealth flags. I didn't insert any legends below the seal, so I moved the seal a bit within the field to re-center it a bit. Started by doing a pure blue field with no legend, and then changed it to red and green.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. dispatcher812

dispatcher812 Commander Red Shirt

On Federation planets where the flag is flown, is it in the indigenous language of the planet or Federation Standard? Or both?

Kevin