Chris Pine Charged With Drink Driving

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by StarMan, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

And it's "soccer," not "football."

2. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think that's what's really happening in this case. He was staying in the country to film a movie already, so he's subject to the laws of the land that he's in, whatever they may be. There's nothing in the report that says or suggested that he left New Zealand after committing the crime.

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

He's supposed to appear in court on Monday, so I imagine he'll be sticking around.
    Ashburton is the next town over, about 20 miles away.

4. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

I believe with the NZ accent in full bloom, it's Deenk Deeving.

And correct, drunk driving is not some minor offense in any manner. Find a sober friend.

5. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

in court CP shud wear his grey Starfleet dress uniform

6. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ask the friends and families of the approximately 10,000 people killed each year in the US as a direct result of impaired drivers if DUIs are no big deal.

Someone with the cash and fame like Pine acting this reckless should be ashamed of themselves and deserve every bit of bad press they get. No excuse at all for his actions, especially when he can afford to be chauffeured around.

7. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree. :vulcan:

8. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I do not condone DUI, it is easy enough to do without feeling drunk. That said, I have a few questions.

What is the BAC limit in NZ?
    Were the police aware that there was a party in that establishment?
    Were they lying in wait for possible offenders (something that happens here frequently)?
    What is the alcohol content of the beer he was drinking?

I'm not trying to make a case either way, but it's possible that the beer or whatever it was he drank was higher in alcohol content than he was used to, and he may not have felt the effects immediately. The person in the interview said that Pine did not look or act drunk. It's unfortunate, and he should not have been driving, but people make mistakes. This could have been a bad one, and I'm glad it wasn't any worse than it was.

9. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Driving while intoxicated is a serious offence and should be treated as such. However (and I don't know the laws in New Zealand, but I'm familiar with US and Canadian laws on the subject), the fact is the bulk of serious accidents (with or without fatalities) are the result of a minority of drivers under the influence. There is no reason why those with lower BAC readings (that are over the limit) should get off more lightly than at present but there should be differences in degree with respect to different BAC levels. A person with .08 is NOT as impaired as one who is .10, .12, etc. (and there are clearly demonstrable differences in effect between the just over the limit and higher levels). If there are different degrees of punishment for various types of homicides (as there should be), there should also be different degrees of punishment for various BAC levels (if there is an injury or fatality involved, that should be treated additively and separately). The current laws, frankly, are a lot like "zero tolerance policies" in areas like school policies or like "mandatory sentencing"--bad ideas and unethical. Again, I am not advocating reducing current punishments for those just over the limit (lest someone think I want to get my alcoholic uncle off lightly for past transgressions or something like that). But I do think those who are well above the limit deserve even more severe punishment.

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, agreed with the last couple posts, certainly Drinking and Driving is dangerous and bad and should carry penalties. And certainly anyone who makes as much money as a Summer Tent Pole Blockbuster Lead, should be avoiding it altogether and hiring a driver if he's gonna have even a sip in 5 hours+

However, before we sign him up for classes and judge him harshly in the Public Square, it would be helpful to know his BAC. If it's on the low end, it could be an innocent mistake, if quite a bit over, then yea, it points at more than an innocent mistake.

11. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

The report just says over the legal limit of .08 percent. Good judgement goes down as the level goes up, so the mistake must be determined to have been made prior to the drink.

12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Dammit, Chris, don't do that shit! There's no excuse for it!
    He should pay a hefty fine.

13. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'd expect that much, at the very least. Here's what Wikipedia has to match what we know of the details in Pine's case:

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fines should be based on a percentage of income or something. For an average NZ citizen that $4500 fine is 10% of their annual income whereas for Pine that's probably considerably less.

15. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I'm not for a minute condoing drink driving, I do think there's a difference between being slightly over the legal limit, and being complete incapacitated but getting behind the wheel anyway.

The latter behaviour IS reckless and stupid. No argument from me there.

The former... well, it ain't great, but it's a shady area. By all accounts Chris was not visibly drunk, nor did he actually drive recklessly while he was behind the wheel, so chances are possible he was in sound mind even though obviously he was mildly intoxicated. He got pulled up, he happened to read over the legal limit, and he got punished accordingly.

Like I say, there's a truckload of difference between what happened with Chris, and Justin Beiber's kind of "antics" behind the wheel of his car, which IMO truely ARE reprehensible.

Of course, in an IDEAL world, nobody should ever get behind the wheel after drinking alcohol.

16. Runetouch

Runetouch Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not surprised at all.

17. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

You know something about Pine no one else knows?

18. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Good. I've got this thing about drunk driving. It's totally preventable, but people do it anyway, and it frustrates me to no end because they put their lives, and the lives of others in danger for no reason whatsoever.

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am in love with this post.

20. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/star-trek-actor-chris-pine-pleads-guilty-dui-22934467