Ghost Rider 2: Spirit of Vengeance Discussion, Pics etc Till Release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Cage confirms Ghost Rider 2 is happening.

This film has been in talks for some time about getting started. If Columbia isn't filming by 2011 then the rights revert back to Marvel and I guess they don't want that to happen. One of the holdups to this film, recently anyway, was that Nic Cage is also scheduled to shoot National Treasure 3. Seems that all has been worked out, as of now.

However a new love interest will be in order as Eva Mendes has said she will not be back.
    While no one here, or about the 'net for that matter, would call the first Ghost Rider great it did have its moments. I myself had some issues with it but overall liked it enough to want them to try for greatness this time around.

The Blaze character could now ditch the hokey aloof jelly bean munchie gimmick now that he's aware of and has embraced who and what he is. It's been a few years so surely they can enhance the flamming skull look.

I look forward to tracking the progress of this film cause GR is one of the most unique looking characters out there and he deserves another shot at greatness.

2. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Ghost Rider 2: Spirit of Vengeance Discussion, Pics etc Till Relea

Wait.... There's actually going to be a sequel?! I mean, I actually like the first movie, but never in my wildest dreams did I imagine they'd do another one! I would think that one of the main concerns would have to have been Nicolas Cage's age, but seeing as how the Iron Man franchise has been doing so well, they've gotta be feeling better about that.

Can't wait to see who they come up with to replace Eva Mendes. Oh, the possibilities.... :drool:

3. Sanji Himura

Sanji Himura Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The rights didn't revert back to Marvel. This is Columbia's baby. They have to be in production by November 14 of this year or the rights reverted back to Marvel.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I hate movies that spend so much fo there time on a love interest only to delete that character from history in sequels. Heres an original idea can we not have a love interest :eek:

5. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

I'm glad to hear that they are giving Ghost Rider another shot. I've been reading the comic books for years and I really enjoyed the current run for the most part.

Didn't I hear that they're using David Goyer's script that he wrote more then a decade ago? I've never heard of either of the directors.

6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

With Cage's money problems I'm not surprised he boarded this project.

7. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to say I did not expect this to actually become a movie franchise. Ghost Rider wasn't technically bad, but it wasn't like super sequel deserving either.

8. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

disappointed Eva won't be back...

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Hopefully they get a much better actor to be the main villain this time. The villain in the first movie was a joke.

10. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

I wish they'd get a much better actor to play the lead. :rolleyes:

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

While I liked the Crank movies something tells me this project will be best summed up as perfunctory.

12. Captain Craig

I heard we was going to rework some of that script(what it's about I don't know) but I'm sure better details will emerge in the months ahead. After all these are details 9months old, something(s) may have changed that is yet to be reported.

13. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

It did well enough for a sequel? I didn't realize that.

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Hmm. That poster would make a nice book cover . . . .

15. Captain Craig

It made $228m worldwide on a $110m budget before DVD sales. Heck it basically just broke over even with its USdom take. It just shows yet again that the notion about the net of "a film has to make 2-3times its budget" to garner sequels and/or be called a "hit" is a myth more times than it works in its favor.

Hey I just 'shopped that together but thanks! :techman:

16. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Captain Craig, is there a main discussion and pics thread for The Avengers somewhere? I'm asking you because you usually set them up.

17. Captain Craig

I've been thinking it was time for a consolidated thread coming out of Comic-Con. The one thread to talk about Joss is just about Joss but we do need one just for all inclusive Avengers news now it does seem. I'll set one up now.

18. Captain Craig

Romania has been chosen as the site to shoot GR2:Spirit of Vengance.
    It's also going to shoot in 3-D, for what that may be worth. I'm starting to think Hollywood has shot its 3-D load or will have by the time this is in production.

Nic Cage says:

19. Teelie

Teelie Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked Ghost Rider. I read comics as a kid, not Ghost Rider itself often but the story was good. I'm surprised there is a sequel too given how mediocre the reviews and return on the first movie was. I'll definitely see this one if it's at least as good as the first. Better would be preferable but I'm not going to nitpick the original either.

3D sounds (and is) contrived but it's also the current fad in Hollywood. It'll either come into its own and really be used appropriately or just be another of the many abandoned fads we've seen before.

20. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

It basically boils down to the studio CEO to say "Go!".. that word will come easy if the projected net profit is indeed in the 2/3x production cost or above margin but if the CEO likes the concept or the producer is a good enough sweet talker he may convince him to support something that will only make a moderate profit (better than no profit).

This is why Serenity actually got made at all.. someone quite high in management liked Firefly and Joiss Whedon and had faith in the production to greenlight it.. it would never knock down Star Wars or come close to it but once in a while Hollywood takes a risk.

As to Ghost Rider in general.. visually it was awesome. Not a huge Cage fan but there are worse actors out there and somehow he suited that role (not too great a follower of Ghost Rider but it's a cool concept). The first movie was kind of bland as most introductory movies are because you need half the movie to set up everything which makes the end seem kind of rushed but it's inevitable.

Let's wait and see.. i definitely want to see a guy whose head is wreathed in flames and who sents evil things back to hell with his flaming chains of doom ;)