Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Noddy, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure where this is going any longer, so I'll just say that my original post was a simple jest. The idea that the villain could have been someone Kirk randomly bumped into in a hallway years ago reminded me of Iron Man 3. I thought the comparison was funny, so I posted my thought.

And isn't Khan supposed to be the Hitler of the Star Trek universe? If Adolf Hitler were to reappear and announce himself in front of us, we would all know who he was and be a little freaked out by it. Everyone knew who Khan was in Space Seed, so they would in this universe too.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Nah, he the "best" of a bad lot. More like Francisco Franco, I guess.

3. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could buy this: it's probably along the lines of "My name is... Hitler!", so he expected a more "ooooh!" response from the two (which he did't really get, and which probably irked him to no end).

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Wait until Spock Prime drops the real bombshell-- "Oh, by the way, NuSpock. You have a half-brother you never knew about and he's looking for Sean Connery."

5. Nerys Myk

In this reality, he is Sean Connery.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

But he always knew that Sybok was his half brother. ;)

7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    And yet none of the others managed to inflict the damage (physical and emotional) that Khan did. I'd say Spock isn't wrong on this.

8. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily true:

* Kruge ordered the death of David, and left Kirk embittered for years to come.

* Chang gutted the Enterprise worse than Khan did: blowing a hole clean through the saucer. Framed Kirk for assassination, and was nearly successful in starting an interstellar war.

* Soren killed Kirk, trashed a planet, and his actions lead to the destruction of the D

* The Borg Queen nearly rewrote history, screwed with Picard's emotions, and assimilated an unknown number of his crew.

* Shinzon led to the E being nearly totaled, the mental rape of Troi, the death of Data, and screwed with Picard's perception of himself.

Plenty of others have ranked up a equal to higher tally than Khan. Khan's rep is largely post-TWOK hype centered on Spock's death. The Boba Fett effect.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  9. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think we should be allowed to use the fact that Spock Prime is coming after Nemesis. That sets the bar too high. I mean, the Borg were slicing the D like a chocolate cake, and it only survived because a god pulled them out of there. Khan is a formidable man, but he's no Borg.

10. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

True, I was limiting my list to movie villians. Toss in TV series villains and Khans goes from average (at best) to light weight.

11. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

And there being enough chance for the Enterprise to meet the Borg much earlier, possibly as early as the next film*, the new crew is in for a big shock as to just how misleading Spock Prime statement was.

* Five years in deep space? What else did you think we would find there? You should have listened to Doctor McCoy.

12. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Also, there's the exact phrasing of Spock Prime's words in that scene to consider:

"Khan Noonien Singh is the most dangerous adversary the Enterprise ever faced."

Nimoy was clearly only referring to the "most dangerous" foe encountered during his own personal service as a crewmember of the various Enterprises in the 23rd Century, not to any of the later adversaries encountered by Picard and his crew in the 24th Century.

Being only the Prime Universe under discussion in that particular moment, Q and the Borg wouldn't really even enter into the scope of the conversation.

13. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If Prime is going to tell them about Khan, why wouldn't he tell them about the Probe, V'ger, the Borg, the Giant Amoeba, the Doomsday Machine, etc. etc. etc. I mean as dangerous as he is Khan is a minnow compared to those dudes.

14. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Yeeeup. If you limit it just to TOS, Khan is still a light weight.

15. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

I disagree. In the two times the Enterprise encountered Khan, he managed to successfully hijack not one but TWO Federation starships; the first time the crew regained control only due to the sudden face-turn of Khan's bottom bitch, and the second time, they NEVER regained control, and Khan managed to steal the Genesis device on top of it. At that he was basically Blackbeard with a nuke.

The only one person in Enterprise's resume more dangerous than Khan would actually be Nero, but the Original Enterprise never had to face Nero. More to the point, Khan was NOT the most dangerous threat to the AT Enterprise -- again, that dubious honor goes to Nero, with Admiral Marcus as first runner-up.

16. Nerys Myk

The Enterprise has also been successfully hijacked by an android and a bunch of hippies.:p

17. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Khan was a fiction created the moment I was awoken by your Admiral Marcus to help him advance his cause, a smokescreen to conceal my true identity. They got rid of my groovy orange hair and now I'm pissed off. I am much worse than Khan. My name is... ADAM."

18. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, but both of those times the crew regained control on their own; the hippies never made (or threatened to make) the entire crew walk the space plank and never set the ship to self destruct when they didn't get their way.

And although the hippies did manage to steal a small civilian spacecraft earlier in the same episode, they did not steal a fully armed and operational battle sta... er starship and definitely didn't get their hands on a planet-killing WMD.

19. Nerys Myk

A Starship is a planet killing WMD.

IIRC, the crew only gained control after the hippies left. Similarly, the crew on regained control of the ship after defeating the androids planetside.

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

[Music FX: Killer space guitar solo]​