Plot for a new Star Trek Series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by dan_bevan, Jul 26, 2013.

1. dan_bevan

dan_bevan Lieutenant Red Shirt

Millenia ago a race known as the Iconians flourished, they were the dominant force of the galaxy and their empires reached every corner. This was until an unknown species even more powerful than the Iconians appeared from another dimension and lay siege to them, wiping their entire civilization out and purging them from the galaxy.

In 2899 the Federation has reached its peak, and the galaxy is a peaceful place. Mankind has lost its curiosity and will to explore the outer reaches of the galaxy and is instead only concerned in keeping the peace of the Federation and making it a secure place.

This is until a group of Iconians appear in the Alpha Quadrant, shocked to see Iconians alive they are even more shocked to hear their warnings. The species that wiped them out are back, their singularity has reopened, as it does every millenia and they are back once more to purge the galaxy again.

The Federation quickly puts together a new crew: Their Captain is young war hero and somewhat of a celebrity in the Federation after succesfully defending a number of skirmishes. He also has an ego to match. His first officer is a Starfleet Intelligence Operative who is very 'by the book' and who has been strategically placed on their ship to undermine the Captain and will resort to any means necessary to ensure the mission is a success.

Their 'conflicted' crew is made up of a number of misfits, but their passion for exploration makes them relics of a time gone past, but they will have to join together and put their differences aside to defend the galaxy from the Purge...

2. dan_bevan

This is my idea for a new star trek show, i have plans for a pilot and some ideas for future episodes. I have a few ideas on other characters and actors who I could see playing them. The idea I have could be for either a tv show / web fan series / books.

I am looking for others to join me in this project. Would anyone be interested in helping me put this project together?

3. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

An interesting idea for what happened to the Iconians, seeing as their fate was left a mystery, however what happened to these alien invaders? Why did they just disappear/withdraw? If they had defeated the Iconians and gained their Gateway technology, wouldn't they have invaded the rest of the galaxy?

If the Federation is a "peaceful place" why is it therefore "only concerned in keeping the peace"? Additionally, it means that the Captain can't really be a "war hero".

If this crew was then at the forefront of the mission to stop the invaders, I doubt Starfleet would permit "misfits", but rather pull together the top officers they had to lead such a crucial assignment.

Just some things to think about. I'd see this working more as a fanfic than a TV series though.

4. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

5. dan_bevan

You raise good questions.
    These alien invaders only enter our dimension once every millenia for example. Once a society in our universe has grown too strong i.e. The Iconians, The Federation, then these aliens come along and purge the galaxy effectively wiping the slate clean. These aliens would then hang about in our galaxy for a while before returning to their dimension to wait for the next big species to purge. As these aliens haven't been seen or identified the Federation will call them the Purge as they want to purge the galaxy. Also the Purge would capable of very evil and cruel acts even more so than the Borg or Dominion were, but further into the series we would find out more and more about this species, there would be a few twists that would explain their reasons and things may not all be as they seem.

Basically the Federation is a peaceful place but they are only interested in ensuring it stays that way by staying out of the way and they have forfeited exploration. There haven't been any big wars as such since the days of the Borg and the Dominion however there have been some skirmishes by a few different jealous species that are getting tired of the way things are. The Captain has been involved in most of the skirmishes and has always saved the day... but the purge will be his biggest test yet!

The crew isn't misfits as such, they are still starfleet officers at the end of the day but they are quite conflicted, they dont necessarily get on with each other and they all come from different backgrounds. Some of the crew would be people that may have left or been thrown out of starfleet for whatever reason but have been brought back into because of their "interesting skills" and their ability to ensure the job gets done.

This would be a gritter Trek than we are used to, i think the idea of having a conflicted crew would be similar to the idea that Voyager had, but that wasn't done in the right way. The Crew all got along after the first episode, with this series it may take a while before people start getting along.

Also people may not like the idea of having it too far in the future but i think its better that way... Gene Roddenberry's idea was always looking into the future not looking back. We have done and re-done the periods of TOS - VOY. Think it would be boring to go back there again plus the way our current day technology is advancing the ideas of the technology they use isn't too extreme. With a futuristic show we could introduce some crazy new concepts which would throw people and it could be really interesting.

6. dan_bevan

Another character i've been thinking of which would round up the big 3 on the ship is their female chief of security - a beautiful fiery haired human (species could change) with a fiery temper to match. She's certainly not a damsel in distress and capable of kicking some ass. Her attitude does make her unpopular with other members of the crew and she her relationship with the Captain and the first officer is an interesting one. The Captain wants her on his side but so does the Commander and she enjoys playing them off one another. She is very athletic and strong and is not afraid to leap into the face of danger. Inspirations for her character were from B'lanna Torres / Kira Nerys / Tasha Yar but done in the right way. She would either be a fiery red head or be a raven haired beauty.

I read an idea for a premise of a new star trek show about a year ago and they talked about a female security officer who had borg implants built into her so she could work collectively with her security force. I really like this idea - and I think with it being the 29th Century having cybernetic implants to improve their strength / reflections etc it would be a very good idea. These wouldn't be your typical red shirts!

7. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

now i really like this idea, the premise has a promising set up, the idea of having a security team with cybernetic implants is brilliant, i see great promise in this, i reckon it would make an amazing tv series, i like the idea for your captain and first officer, i reckon it would be awesome as a novel series, it would be original in some aspects and having what the other series would have in small bits, i would love to be part of this if possible, what kind of ship would your crew have.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I want big heroes finding weird shit in outer space.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I want weird heroes finding big shit in outer space.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That works too! :lol:

11. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Sorry, but a "plot" is a sequence of events in a story. What's described here is a backdrop and setting.

12. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    It's a lot better than that other thread, though.

13. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I'm a bit confused. By "project" do you mean a fanfic? Because if so, then this should be in the fan fiction forum. Or do you mean that you want to actually film this? If so, then this should be in the fan productions forum.

The Future of Trek forum is really only for two things:

1. Information about possible official Trek productions coming at some future point in time, or

2. Random ideas that people pull out of their ass, get some responses to, and then never go back to again.;)

14. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

its well thought out and precise, it has the makings of a good yet promising story and tv series, for now i'd like to think of this as another New Frontier kind idea

15. dan_bevan

I see some negativity from people already. They think it belongs in fanfic and that i got no idea what im talking about. This however is my idea of what a new star trek series would be like. I dont have the financial backing or the ability to create my own web show or any other type of show.

Star Trek cant come back to TV until it has moved on from the old format and comes up with new storylines that would attract new viewers aswell as captivating hard core trekkies. Which is why it needs to remain true to Gene Rodeberry's vision of seeking out new civilizations and boldly going where no man has gone before. The ship will be out in deep space and encountering new species and making first contact aswell as encountering species from other Treks. I also believe that story arcs are needed as these seem to be more popular than stand alone episodes these days. I would like to do a mix of stand alone and arcs such as what Enterprise did in the final season.

The type of Ship that they are on is proving the biggest difficulty at the moment. It needs to be different from other starships in the Federation. I have several ideas:
    A) State of the Art Flagship of the Federation. Superior technology and weaponry to the rest of the fleet.
    B) An old starship that has been beaten up and is more of a relic of a time gone by. Its a ship thats been round the block and a lot of history and tradition. Its instantly recognisable as a TNG-era starship (however it would be doubtful that the Federation would use a ship like this to combat their biggest threat in centuries)
    C) A completely unrecognisable ship with all sorts of new tech powering it. It could have an intelligence interface to which th crew could use to interract with the ship. It could also have a lot of organic components and potentialy have a mind of its own!

16. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

If this is your original idea and you want people to help you work on it, then it either belongs in fanfic or fan productions. If this is just an idea you had about where you think Trek should go in the future and you just want people's opinions about your idea, then it belongs here.

I don't believe anyone said that.

Well...no. Star Trek can come back to television whenever CBS feels like creating a series. Whatever format the show takes is secondary to that.

I agree that story arcs are a good thing.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  17. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, the few points I see, are things that a lot of 'fanboys' come up with for their fanfics, and just aren't very original ideas. The 'war-hero' captain, the 'by-the-book' XO, the misfit crew, all of them having to get along to save the day. Ancient and mysterious aliens who are the threat of all and such. It's not bad in itself, it's just.... been thought of before really.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding a bit harsh. If this was a good written fanfic, I'd give it a shot. But as a tv-show, it sort of feels rehashed.

18. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Well you have to expect that when you post on the internet.

For what it's worth, thank you for posting your ideas. But it is fan fiction in the sense that it's something a fan made up.

19. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well you have to be ready for people to disagree with you on a public message board. That's the whole purpose, people expressing differing opinions and discussing them. I think you're blowing the "negativity" out of proportion simply because you're bummed not everyone thinks the idea is as awesome as you do(compared to some threads here this is rather tame :p ) To your ideas, the main problem with this premise is you really only have a couple seasons worth of material short of this being a full fledged war series.

TNG worked because the Enterprise had full liberty to go anywhere and explore any given storyline.
    DS9 worked because, while it had a more fixed setting, it was situated in such a place where any number of storylines came to it.
    VOY worked(hey, lasted seven seasons so it did after a fashion) because Voyager also wasn't constrained to a single plot that could be dropped if it wasn't popular(like the Kazon).

So your Anti-Iconians invade again? Even after two seasons the war arc of DS9 was getting a bit redundant, and you can only swing the pendellum of war back and forth so many times before people start loosing interest. So are the heroes going to beat the bad guys and win peace again? Are they going to lose? What happens after they're gone? All questions that you might do well to think on.

20. dan_bevan

Yeah I think il post the first episode in the fanfiction to see what people think. Im not bummed out but I think it has the potential of being good if done in the right way. This wouldnt be a war show. It would be along the lines of classic Trek in that they are exploring but they do need to face a real threat to Earth and the Federation. I think allegory would work to and parallels to modern terrorism. Im not sure if this threat would last for 1 season and then the rest of the series would be about exploring deep space in the 29th century. It needs to introduce a number of new exotic alien species.