Star Trek Fan Reboots

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Danlav05, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Has anyone tried to reboot StarTrek themselves?

There are a few examples in the written form - for example Jeremy Grunloh's reborn project , redoing the original as a 13part cable drama focusing on the original 3, with a female Admiral Nogura and an elderly Mr Sulu with his daughter Demora.

Another one at MZPtv radically changed the Vulcan/Romulan origins, Scotty was female and Uhura is an ambassador.

What about fan films?

Begins looks to be quite different. Maybe someone could do TOS with a NextGen aesthetic? There are some good alternate designs such as 'Matt Damon Kirk' on DeviantART and Gabe Koerner's Enterprise. For me it's about presenting different ideas for curiosity's sake. There are some uniforms out there that are FC style but in the format of the red wraparounds

How about a merger? A fanfic I saw years ago was Stargate: Deep Space 9 withSisko and crew under the command of Admiral Picard.

What. 'alternate' ideas may work on screen? How would you do things different?

2. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

I'm not a big fan of stories that take popular characters, and change the gender of them. Reboots that change the story just for the sake of change don't really interest me. It worked well for Battlestar Galactica, but none of the characters in the new series were the same characters from the original series (same names/different people/different era). With Star Trek, it's fun to play with the alternate universe scenario, but changing the sex and age of characters doesn't really work for me.

Personally, I prefer Star Trek that continues to develop the series that we knew and loved. Star Trek Phase II is great for this, because it feels like an unproduced season 4. Tying up the loose ends between TOS and TMP is cool. For TNG, I would want to see a season 8, or adventures during the TNG movie timeline.

If I were to do an "alternate" Trek, I would probably do one that took place during the Romulan wars, with a few Vulcan charcaters from TOS in it. Or maybe a series set on the Enterprise B or C.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  3. Danlav05

Same here I'd love to see Intrepid's Giles Aston star in a post-Nemesis series, however like Hidden Frontier did with their shows I'd bring in characters from other shows - in fact the Enterprise crew would be a bit of a 'dream team' mix from DS9 and VOY filling in for those who left:

Captain - Jean-Luc Picard
    First Officer - Worf
    Medical - Dr Crusher
    Engineer - Geordi LaForge
    Tactical/Security - Tuvok
    Science - 7of9
    Counselor - Ezri Dax
    Helm - Nog

They'd be visits to the Titan/DS9 and Janeway would kind of be Picard's boss!

And I absolutely love following Phase II it has really become it's own show now expecially as they've kind of reached the middle between the series and the film. :bolian:

4. Captain Atkin

My ultimate fan-film wish would still be to see a Star Trek: Excelsior fan-film. One that would mix TOS actors with fan-film actors:

Captain Sulu (George Takei)
    Commander Chekov (First Officer)(Walter Koenig)
    Lt. Tuvok (security)(Tim Russ)
    Lt. Peter Kirk (helm) (James Cawley)
    Lt. Xela (Communications)(Chase Masterson)
    Engineering Officer (new character)
    Helmsman # 2 (new character)

I would take Commander Rand away from the Excelsior, and have her work at Starfleet HQ as a Captain.

5. Danlav05

Very interesting one - you know Marc Scott Zicree tried to get a 'Captain Sulu' webseries off the ground - Sulu leading a crew of new, young recruits:

http://marczicree.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/capt_sulu_series_bible.pdf

At least we potentially have 'Star Trek: Renegades' filling the gap now

6. Danlav05

I guess my vision is, now Voyager's home, a show would focus on a wider range on characters somehow without being an anthology show as such, like Hidden Frontier had DS12, the Excelsior, the Independence, the Helena etc.

So Not The Next Generation, but rather a merging with DS9 and VOY, with Spock, Chekov, Scotty etc

I love the idea that it's MORE than just the crew of the Enterprise

7. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

As one of the people who supported the effort by the International Federation of Trekkers to create a Sulu TV series, I'd certainly support something like this. The Phase II episode with Sulu was a lot of fun, so there's good reason to do a fan film on the Excelsior crew. :bolian:

8. Danlav05

What was this effort? Zicree's project or something else? It was fun seeing the Excelsior in WEAT!

9. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

To be honest, Zicree's concept comes across as fan fiction with Spock's son and paint-by-number characters, many of whom are rather ho-hum and just retreads of races we've seen ad nauseum. However, it's interesting to see a thread to Zicree's latest effort, SPACE COMMAND, in the bible.

"World Enough and Time" withstanding, I'm not much a fan of Zicree's work. His work on TNG and DS9, while he may have originated the concepts for those episodes, wasn't really his own solo efforts and you can see the fingerprints of other writers in them. And the BABYLON 5 script he wrote on his own was so rife with cliche and bland dialogue. While I'm interested in seeing what comes of SPACE COMMAND, Zicree isn't the writer I'd want to see spearhead a STAR TREK series.

And George Takei, as wonderful a personality he is, isn't quite the lead actor that's required to carry a series. Perhaps as a fatherly, mentor-type who isn't the sole focus of the series, I could see. But as the man driving the action, I can't really see it. Never could. That's why I was never interested in a EXCELSIOR series.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  10. Captain Atkin

I agree with this... to a point. I think if you paired him with a cast of actors that could hold their own, you could have a cool series. With "Flashback" and "World Enough and Time", Sulu wasn't really given a crew of memorable characters (on the Excelsior) to interact with. They where mostly just window dressing. You would have to develop a crew of interesting characters to make it work, which I think could be done. I also think it would be good to have Chekov as First Officer, simply because Walter and George have always worked well together. You wouldn't get the same sense of comraderie between Sulu and a new character, as you would with Sulu and Chekov.

11. Danlav05

I think that Sadly the Captain Sulu boat has sailed.

I think he'd be fine now as Admiral Sulu, like he voices the new Federation 'book'. Koenig, with all due respect does look quite a bit older in the Renegades trailer.

Same with the other TOS castmembers bar Nimoy or Nichols I feel.

12. Captain Atkin

Walter just looks older cause he isn't wearing the wig in Renegades. Put the wig on, add some rose to the cheeks, and he will look just fine. Movie magic ;)

As for Sulu, I would be happy to see him promoted to Admiral, while still serving as Captain of the ship. We saw Admiral Riker in command of the Enterprise, so no reason why Sulu couldn't be an Admiral. I just saw George in an Old Navy commercial last night, and he still looks fine to play the part.

13. Danlav05

I admit I was surprised when I saw Walter bald a copule of years ago! Did he have a wig for OGAM?

At least he's a part of Renegades. I can see Sulu as an Admiral now, training the 'next generation' of Starfleet Captains. literally! :guffaw:

14. Captain Atkin

Yes, he has been wearing a wig for decades (when acting).

15. Danlav05

I never realised.

Of course the 'To Serve All My Days' work was different, but his look in Renegades matches the timestream.

Of course though it's great to see the Trekvets still involved after all this time!

16. FatherRob

FatherRob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have two concepts in mind:

1) I would personally love to reboot Star Trek, set it further in the future, and change the entire origins story of the universe, using those changes to create an intricate history that would constrain the show within some degree of self-generated reality. I would incorporate other sci-fi elements too - for example, acceleration/deceleration stations (from Forbidden Planet), a warp drive limit around systems (from the Honor Harrington series), skinsuits for battle (also from HH), etc.

2) I would like to go back to the original Star Trek bible, and tell the story of the S.S. Yorktown under Captain Winter (or April, depending on the draft) in black and white with a late 50's/early 60's sci-fi feel (think The Outer Limits).

I have a lot of ideas, but zero money or equipment to make either concept a reality. Interested producers are invited to contact me :)

Rob+

17. Danlav05

HAHA if I had the money...
    Both ideas soudn very very intersting. (1) sounds like a very different type of scifi, and (2) is very similar to what people have posted here before - a pre-TOS style movie - the only one I can think of is Forbidden Planet.

18. FatherRob

I attempted to write some fan fic in setting 1 a few years back, but gave up. Got zero feedback and gave it up.

The second setting was actually inspired by the ship shown in this thread at another website:

http://www.allscaletrek.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=273

Together with the control room from "First Spaceship on Venus"

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/03/20/first-spaceship-on-venus/

If you read the thread at All Scale Trek, you'll see towards the end some of my thoughts on the visual effects.

Rob+

19. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

the thing is if you want to do reboot trek in such a way to change the backstory, change the universe, etc, you may as well make your own series in its own universe and have complete control, no rights issues to deal with. in the end you're only clinging onto the name 'star trek' and accompanying its treknobabble.

20. FatherRob

It worked well for BSG.

Rob+