Wolverine And The X-Men - anyone watching?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Robotech Master, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Robotech Master

Robotech Master Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hear there is a new X-Men series out.

How is it? Is it worth watching?

How does it stack up to the previous shows, X-Men: The Animated Series and X-Men Evolution?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I have mixed feelings about it. It had a strong start and a fascinatingly dark premise -- the government is rounding up mutants, the X-Men break up for a year after the apparent deaths of Xavier and Jean Grey, there are messages from the future warning of a dire, "Days of Future Past" fate that must be changed. But a lot of the more standalone episodes haven't been as interesting as I'd hoped. And though the design style is very similar to X-Men Evolution (despite being a separate continuity), the animation isn't quite as well-done. Of the three animated series, so far it's my least favorite, albeit by a narrow margin. It's not bad, just not as satisfying as I'd hoped. Maybe as the season finale nears it will ramp up a bit and be more engaging.

3. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

It's okay, not great. I wish they would let wolverine just cut loose for once and go ''berzerker'' and hack/slash some villians, blood ''N'' guts flying everywhere and afterwards have him smoke a cigar!:D I know it's a ''kids'' show and it will never happen, but I can dream:(

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'd love to be watching it but unfortunately its on one of those premium extra-pay cable channels, just like every other super hero cartoon coming out this year... *grumble* If it's worse than Evolution that would be unfortunate... I didn't really care for Evolution. It was too... I dunno... kiddie.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

This is definitely striking a more mature tone than XME. The storyline is darker (although XME got increasingly dark and intense with each successive season; tonally this is maybe where XME would've ended up if it had been on 2-3 seasons longer). And it's very un-kiddie in another way, though I wouldn't exactly call it mature -- there's hardly a single female character on the show who's smaller than a D cup, and several of the costumes (notably Emma Frost and Domino) are very much designed to show that off.

6. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoy it.

The characters are far more mature and developed over those of the old FOX cartoons. It's more like a combo of the movies, Evolution & the FOX series all rolled into one. What also cool as the show continues the the cast grows, while there's a main team there are also secondary cast of characters and cameos every where. From Magma, Forge & Psylocke to Nick Fury & the Hulk.

I think it's great if you just accept it for what it is, another interpretation of the X-Men in animated form for all ages.

Mr.Light & Robotech Master, you can check out full eps. on Nicktoons website.;)

7. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

^And BOY! did I notice!:eek:YOWZA!:drool: To say that I was suprised by seeing ''THOSE'' on a ''Nick'' show is an understament!:eek:

8. exodus

That's why it's on Nicktoons and not the basic cable Nickleodeon. However, it's on at a fairly late enough time for kids of the appropriate age to see it.

9. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

The episodes can all be found here

Linky

10. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Having seen the whole thing, it's a pretty good show, including offering easily the best other media interpretations of several characters (Nightcrawler and Scarlet Witch, most notably), as well as good intros to others who haven't been animated much before (Emma Frost). There's a strong handle on X-Men comics history. The weaker parts tend to relate to the idea of pushing Wolverine as the main character/leader, a premise which actually offers a lot of interesting story possibilities, but in practice not a huge amount is done with it (and this show's version of Cyclops is really bad; he and several other members of the main cast don't have a huge amount to do).

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Not only can I not afford premium cable, I can only afford dial-up internet as well... so I'll just have to wait for the DVDs ;)

12. grabmygoblin

grabmygoblin Commodore Commodore

best animated version of the X-Men by far. DEFINITELY check it out!

13. Robotech Master

Robotech Master Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cool cool...

Thanks for the links. I'll have to check this out.

By the way, I can't wait for the X-Men TAS to come out on DVD!! They better release the whole series or I'll be pissed off.

14. exodus

Sorry to hear that.:(

Robotech Master, I think if you liked FOX's X-Men:TAS, you'll get the same amount of enjoyment out of this one as well.;)

15. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

The DVD of the first 3 eps is due out sometime next month.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Will there be a complete season set at a later date or do I have to get all these damn penny-ante releases? I got screwed on this with the recent Fantastic Four cartoon. I bought all the individual releases, THEN they released the complete series set which had 9 episodes unreleased previously but I wasn't about to shell out 30 bucks just to see 9 episodes!

17. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

How far is up to on American TV? has the season finished yet, as it finished on CBBC here in Blighty about 2-3 weeks ago and I know we were ahead.

I only started watching around episode 7-8 or whatnot, and at first I thought it was another male adaption like X-Men Evolution, but after a few episodes it became really enjoyable with the Xavier-in-the-future plot arc, and no one ever tires of some serious sentinel bashing. The last few episodes of the season were awesome

Still as I grew up in the 90s it will never be as good as the 90s animated series

18. exodus

The last ep. shown was the one with Psylocke & Nitro.

19. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

They usually do both these days; wait out for the season set.

20. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Episode list
    What, episode 8? Thought it'd be further on than that