Description of the teaser trailer...SPOILERS, Dude

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Description of the teaser trailer...

The description of the teaser mentions a large industrialized city or ship yard. So, NOT Area 51. But, San Francisco, maybe?

2. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

It could still be build on Earth while NOT being build in Area 51. Like being Build in Area 50 a

3. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bob Orci knows the same stuff I know. I have no doubt that he's putting this at the SFNY... right where my "Google Earth" image showed it to be. With the big "saucer construction cradle" to the west and the "nacelle construction cradles" being where the two big naval construction drydocks are.

Orci knows this stuff very well... and Abrams knows it a lot better than most of you think he does. They all do. This is a team made up of fans, who are the same age (and have the same experiences) as me. Everything I've seen, everything I've heard... everything I KNOW... tells me that these guys are making the Trek film I've wanted to see since right after TWOK, just as Abrams says is his goal.

If this really is at the San Francisco Naval Yards (right were I showed it to be), well... that'll pretty much prove that this is gonna be the movie I want to see. :)

If it's shown being constructed on the Paramount backlot, on the other hand... that's not a bad thing either. The symbolism of that would be great, even if it would obviously be "non-canon" in that case. :D

4. FlyingTigress

FlyingTigress Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I heard something about this being the "AMT" starship assembly facility outside Troy, Michigan, actually. :lol:

5. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Hee. That crossed my mind, too. Pan back, and you see the "Hollywood" sign. It gets back to the idea of the teaser being used as a metaphor for reconstructing the franchise. So, why not?

6. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

He's a Trekkie.

7. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since I couldn't find the original layout...

... that is, the one in the book I was talking about from before TMP...

I went ahead and redrew it from memory. This is the general layout, at SFNY, that the various starship components were to have been constructed in. Each component would then have been lifted into orbit, where the whole thing would be assembled, integrated, finished, activated, and tested.[​IMG]

If it's there, it ought to be obvious.

Look for well-known, identifiable SF landmarks. You'll see the Bay Bridge in the background (not the Golden Gate). You'll see the SF skyline. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if you see Candlestick Park (or whatever "sponsor name" it has now... :rolleyes:) Oh, and this is right next to South San Francisco... whose claim to fame in the area is being "The City of Industry." ;)
    [​IMG]

8. Alpha Romeo

Alpha Romeo Vice Admiral Admiral

Ahhh San Francisco was on the dedication plate wasn't it?

9. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, but that's been conveniently forgotten by some.

10. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is one of the best ideas I've heard yet.:thumbsup:

When it was rumored a few weeks ago that the teaser would show the Enterprise under construction, I said it's probably only a metaphor for the film, which is also "under construction". But the Paramount backlot and Hollywood sign would underscore that idea nicely.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

We reach, brother.

12. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But... but... it was the San Francisco that's in OUTER SPACE obviously. I know there's nothing in the actual TV series or films to say it wasn't built on Earth and assembled in space but it was in the Series Bible so IT MUST BE TRUE!!!!

13. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What if you lived in the city by the bay and owned a ladder high enough to reach down a satellite or two?

Hypothetically, on which rung can you no longer claim to be San Francisco based? ;)

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I think people are forgetting that this is the 23rd century we're talking about.

If we had that kind of anti-gravity technology today, I can assure you NASA would be constructing the space station on Earth in 3 or 4 giant pieces, and would then slowly lift those pieces into space to be joined together later.

15. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it sounds alright, I guess.

I'm glad about the aircraft-like nacelles, that means they haven't gone and done some square-nacelle bullshit. Yay for the original roundies.

As I expected, it doesn't seem to give away anything from the actual movie aside from maybe a rough image of what he ENT looks like.

16. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why is that such a big deal among Trekkies? Because it violates their precious canon? Boo hoo. Seagoing vessels aren't built in the water. If Starfleet has the capability to build a ship that crosses the galaxy, then it shouldn't be a problem for it to escape the gravity of Earth once it's completed. Give it a rest.

17. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

It doesn't violate any canon that I'm aware of.

It does violate gospel, however. :lol:

18. Cranston

Cranston Commander Red Shirt

:lol:

19. Mr J

Mr J Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Only people on boards like this one will care that the Enterprise was build on Earth. Others will just think it looks frikkin' sweet or not be bothered either way.

Sounds like a fun teaser. Looking forward to seeing it. :thumbsup:

20. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was always at a loss for the San Fransisco "ship yards" thing - since, ah couldn't see how or why they would call an orbital facility "San Fransisco Ship" yards. This kinda explains that. Its actually on Earth.

I knew someone (well just not anyone, at least two people) was going to attempt to spin this as Orci "lying". He didn't, no Area 51 in that trailer description which he outright said was false and he was correct of course.

Sharr