Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Finally looks like a good book coming from the Marvel redo, Indestrucible Hulk.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've made my decision...I'm deciding to drop The Incredible Hulk. The art has been fantastic all the way through, but the quality of the story telling has dropped significantly IMO. It's too bad as I thought Aaron was bringing something unique to the character. Am definitely looking forward to Waid on "Indestructible Hulk" (if that is indeed the title).

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i don't care for it either, but i'm gonna stick it out till the end of Aaron's run.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I feel the same way. It's only 3 more issues and I'll have the whole run. Then I'll just do the trade wait when Waid's run starts. Will Waid still be doing Daredevil or did I gloss over that in all the Marvel news? What's that books fate?

5. Admiral_Young

Waid is still doing "Daredevil". He's just adding Hulk to his work load. Normally my original plan was to tolerate the conclusion but I'm starting to get fed up lol.

6. Captain Craig

Cool Waid is still on DD then, thanks.
    I actually read IH#12 and kept wondering how or why either Hulk didn't yank the syringe bot off his neck or it didn't get knocked off while Ben and Logan were fighting him. There were a few nice bits of humor though in the story. Hulk breaking off a piece of Thing, pulverizing it and blowing it away. Logan, "I can't see I've got "you"(meaning the dust) in my eye". The weird aliens thinking Earth is destroyed and go back into the bunker for mincemeat pie night.

So all this was once again for an attempt to cure himself of The Hulk. An old school storyline that I thought had pretty much be abandoned.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The first arc of Hulk was interesting with Banner vs Hulk, but everything since then has just been silly.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

While "FF" may be continuing into "Marvel Now!", it will have a completely new format. It will be a team consisting of all former members of the main team-- She-Hulk, Ant-Man (Lang), Medusa and She-Thing. Can't build up any excitement at all over this one.

9. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, it will continue as a completely unrelated book? Lame, Marvel.

10. Admiral_Young

Oh dear. Don't like the direction of FF even though I like the idea of the Four selecting new members. I like the incorporation of the kids into the main book, we'll see how Fraction writes them. I doubt it will be as delightfully fun as Hickman did. I kind of like the Four's redesigned suits, but I dislike the new recruit suits intently. I'm wondering even more what Hickman is planning for his finale for this to happen.

Fraction's "The Defenders" is concluding so he can focus on Fantastic Four.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=40367

I know the book was his "baby" sort to speak, but I don't understand why they just don't continue it with a new creative team instead of cancelling it, when you just know they're going to bring it back like a year later.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Not surprised about Defenders. It seemed like Fraction was telling a finite story anyway, and with him writing Fantastic Four, FF and Hawkeye each month, something had to give. Man has got to eat and sleep sometime. :lol:

Too bad. Defenders is an under-rated gem.

12. Captain Craig

I must've missed it when Ant-Man was considered a team member of the FF.

I'm still missing out as I wasn't aware She-Thing was back, thought she was one of the few dead characters that was still dead.

I do notice that lineup is the opposite of the normal lineup: 3 female/1male
    It's also full of redundancy in She-Hulk&She-Thing, are two brute force individuals needed?

Marvel is helping me in my budget choices. While I'm all for continuing the book with a new creative team I'm not convinced it's a title that screams 'will be rebooted in a year'. It's a title like Ghost Rider, Moon Knight or Blade and may have a few turns at bat then go away for awhile if it doesn't work out like they want or will tolerate.

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Neither the CBR article nor the original USA Today one refer to the FF characters as having previously been members of the Fantastic Four, just that they were chosen by Reed Richards to be stand-ins for the Four and the Future Foundation while the Four and the kids are on their time-travel trip.

As for "She-Thing," the articles actually refer to her as "Miss Thing" and call her a new character. This previous one you've mentioned must still be dead, then.

Some quotes from the USA Today article:

14. Admiral_Young

Yep. This is just an extension of how Johnny chose Peter to replace/succeed him during his "death".

15. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

CBR's Tilting at Windmills has an interesting article on Marvel NOW!, why it may not be a success, and why that's a bad thing for comics, in general. The article is by Brian Hibbs, a comic retailer and covers Marvel NOW! from the perspective of a retailer.

I recommend reading the whole article, because he makes some good points, I didn't include here. Agree or not, it is an interesting perspective and I wonder how true it is for other retailers.

16. Admiral_Young

Why are they calling this a reboot in the fourms there? It isn't a reboot. It's a re-branding and creative team shuffle. Trying to compare this to the New 52 is I think incorrect because they're not the same thing at all. This is more akin to Marvel's Ultimate Rebirth initiative with the Ulimate Universe than it is anything else. The Ultimate 'Verse was not rebooted after Ultimatium but rebranded under the Ultimate Comics label, given mostly new creative teams and continued onwards in the same continuity. This is the same for Marvel Now/ReEvolution. Perhaps some fans are confused because we're getting number ones again. LOL.

He makes some interesting comments about the sales. I do agree with him that Marvel should be performing better than DC right now. It would seem that I was incorrect in my prediction of last winter that Marvel would overtake DC in sales. DC has been going strong since the New 52 was launched last year.

17. Captain Craig

She-Thing is Sharon Ventura who also was briefly known as Ms.Marvel, she briefly replaced Carol Danvers(while she was Binary I think).
    Looking over her wiki it seems I'm recalling her Skrull double being killed, however, Sharon herself was recovered alive.
    [​IMG]

18. Admiral_Young

The new character the article mentions is recommended by Johnny because I think he was with her the night before, or something like that. So this seems like a new character.

19. Captain Craig

I was just trying to be helpful to PsychoPere since the wording of his post had me thinking he hadn't heard of the character She-Thing.
    It wasn't my intent to sound like I was perhaps applying another interpretation to the new "She-Thing" mentioned in the CBR article. I agree it sounds like a new character cause she will be wearing "Thing armor" while the original She-Thing was mutated just like Ben.

20. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, I definitely didn't know about that character you posted about, so thanks for the information.

The CBR article doesn't call the new character "She-Thing," though - it calls her, like the USA Today article did, "Miss Thing." ;)

That FF #1 cover is just downright horrible. Not simply the costumes, as Admiral_Young commented on previously, but the entire thing is bad - the juxtaposition of the characters relative to one another and the background, for instance, is bizarre, and Miss Thing's appearance reminds me of badly done Photoshops of one person's head on another's body.