Capaldi's previous roles in DW and TW won't be ignored

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by M.A.C.O., Dec 10, 2013.

1. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

This may be old news but I'm sharing it anyway.
    http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/capaldis-past-appearances-not-ignored-53407.htm

[​IMG]

I am eager the explanation and or mystery that RTD and Moffat came up with to explain the 3 characters who share Capaldi's likeness in the Whoinverse .

The 3 characters are
    Lucius Caecilius Iucundu from Doctor Who "The Fires of Pompeii
    [​IMG]

John Frobisher from the Torchwood mini series Children of Earth
    [​IMG]

and the 12th Doctor
    [​IMG]

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I'm wonderind why they're even bothering - it's not like he's the first Doctor to have appeared in the show previous to becoming the Doctor. What's the point of it other than being a smartarse?

3. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

So the Doctor killed his wife, children, and himself in Children of Earth..? Can't wait to find out what BS Moffat comes up with to explain this.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I agree, really there’s no point to it. There are only so many faces in the Universe and the Doctor’s bound to end up looking like people who’ve existed elsewhere at some point (take Salamander). If you want to acknowledge it, fine, just make an off the cuff statement that people he encounters seep into his unconscious, and sometimes it can manifest itself when he regenerates. It handily explains Colin Baker as well. It doesn’t need anything beyond that, especially given that the Doctor and (Capaldi not penguin) Frobisher never met.

Remember it'll likely be some of RTD's bullshit as well!

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

They've already introduced "spatial genetic multiplicity", so why not just go with that? Or better yet, don't bother explaining it at all. :)

6. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

The Doctor has to jump into the timelines of all his former companions to right what once went wrong and got split into billion pieces of himself scattered throughout time and space living many lives... oh wait!

7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

It's probably going to be something like that, in my opinion.

8. Timelord Victorious

That wouldn't explain why Frobisher looked like Caelcilius

9. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm with lonemagpie: it's an awful big universe, and there's only so many faces out there. Even with the limited number of people ordinary folks like us meet in our ordinary lives, once you get past thirty-ish you've met enough people for it to be increasingly common for people to remind you of someone you used to know. For someone like the Doctor who's meeting new people every landing, it must be normal life.
    If anything, what bothers me is when it happens in the likes of Lewis and Midsomer Murders; you're a professional detective, Lewis, who could instantly spot that someone was living under an assumed identity as you recognised their face last week, yet now you don't notice that the woman in your current case was the accomplice in the case that killed Morse? (Sorry, spoiler!) ;-)

10. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I tried to watch the interview but found it too annoying.

I didn't take anything from I did watch as being fact though.

11. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

RTD revealed his "big old plan" about Caecilius and Frobisher on the featurette for the Children of Earth DVD. It was just that Frobisher was a descendent of Caecilius, and the murder/sucide was the timeline finally "correcting" the Doctor's rescue of the family from the fixed point of their destruction. God knows how he and Moffat are going to work the new Doctor into that. I can't say I see the point of any of it, but it'll probably be a throwaway line like Martha's cousin, so who cares? Maybe they can work the soothsayer and Amy Pond into it as well. ;)

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It takes a couple of thousand years for the Timeline to correct itself? Couldn't Time Itself arrange for Caecilius and his family to get in a horrible accident on their way to Rome and be done with it? After all, Time Itself wasted no, well, time, correcting Adelaide's survival in Waters of Mars.

13. Timelord Victorious

It also defeats the point of the whole episode if the Doctor couldn', or shouldn't have saved someone at all.

I thought that this was supposed to be his "reward" for letting history play itself out, by having this one simple act of mercy be possible.

14. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, yes, and it's also unlikely that Martha Jones and Adeola Oshodi were, like Patty and Cathy Lane, identical cousins. Which is why I think it's silly to do this sort of thing, but there's a mindset among certain fans (some of whom make the show) that it's worth addressing. At least we we spared having the Caecilius/Frobisher thing mentioned onscreen... until now, apparently.

15. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

As much as I still don't like this idea, I just had a thought: Perhaps Moffat is going to try to bring back Captain Jack Harkness to tie in with the Frobisher aspect. I would be interested in seeing both Jack's reaction to The Doctor's newest appearance and finally seeing The Doctor's reaction to the events of Children of Earth.

16. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with the general idea that they really shouldn't delve TOO much into this issue of how he looks like two other characters. However, I wonder if what they'll do with that will also be able to be used as an interpretation for the First, Second and Sixth Doctors looking other, existing people (one of them a Time Lord, no less).

Probably not, but we could speculate I guess... :)

17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Clara could as easily say "hey, you look like that politician who was in the news a few years back" - but again, why bother?

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Was Frobisher a politician or just a civil servant?

19. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Civil servant. His suicide/child killing would normally be biggish news (in the serios papers) but in the circumstances it probably got a footnote on page 19.

20. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Has there been anything to suggest that either Children of Earth or Miracle Day exist in the current Doctor Who timeline?