How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by ryan123450, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was expecting Future Mom to be talking to the kids. That should have been the framing device.

2. Sophronisba

Sophronisba Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yeah, the way they did it just makes me worry that the mother is dead in the present. And I really don't want the show to end that way.

But I did really love the episode other than that.

3. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Me too, although it adds a lot more emotion to the story if she is dead. Does anyone know if that ukelele (however it's spelled) is on one of the shelves behind the kids?

4. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Didn't like the episode too much (especially for such a pivotal episode).

It felt far too rushed, kind of like trying to cram entire seasons of How i met your mother into 22 minutes and it showed. It was predictable including taking scenes from the show and showing her side.

It wasn't very original and it sure wasn't very funny.

Cristin Milioti is perfectly cast and very believable as the quirky part of the future Ted/Mother couple and i loved the scenes with her in the season so far but this episode fell flat apart from the very end when she was at her lowest point (the same as Ted) and beautifully sang La Vie en Rose.

I now have a very real fear that they will never really meet but for the very last scene of the show where Ted is sitting at the train station and she walks up.

5. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Been saying this for years... Lori Loughlin.

Speaking of Full House connections, anyone seen the sneak peak at the Super Bowl commercial?

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXJ2hkOm9Ok[/yt]

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I agree that the episode was rushed and not very funny, but her story was mostly a tragedy, so it will be that much more magical when she meets Ted because she can finally be happy again and for the rest of her life.

They should have done it as a two parter. Lord knows there's been enough filler in the first half of the season.

7. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved it. I did feel like plenty of story enough for a one hour episode, but at least it was good. I really liked the tragedy of her story and it just made you love her all the more. She has an amazing voice too.

8. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I loved it also. Brilliantly interconnective with the rest of the series, and really sold home the legitimacy not only of Milioti's character but the gradual unfolding of her presence in the show and this season in particular. I defy anyone to watch that episode and not shed at least one tear.

I'm sad the show is ending and only has eight more episodes to go... but at this rate, I think we're in for a really great ride.

And while I agree - I think the big twist will be that the Mother is dead by the time Old Ted narrates the story, I really hope it won't be the ending button on the show.

9. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess it's hard not to build up things at this point, so even though a few seasons ago, getting this much information in 30 minutes would have blown our minds, now it seems "too little, too late."

Despite that, what we did get was well done, though rushed. I wasn't a big fan of the plot device of the mother narrating and it always turning out to be her talking to someone, especially when it happened in Ted's Econ 3 class and she was telling all of that to a random person.

It was a nice way to touch upon those previous episodes and catch us up on the life of the Mother, though.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

We barely learnt anything new. All that had happened before and will happen again.

But yes, she should have been talking to the kids.

But her voice is different, just like Ted's is, and they probably cast and used a different mother actor for the final scene 8 years ago.

Do we know who was cast as the mother's ankle 4 year ago?

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

12. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

The way the father and the kids have been reacting to this story (the kids, moreso, early on) is completely against the idea that the mom is dead.

13. Guy Gardener

If the Mother just died, then those kids are dead inside inappropriate.

Of course the last line could be... "And we're getting a divorce."

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

15. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

So the real story is how he met his real love (Robin), then met the mother, had kids, and is now leaving her for Robin again? :lol: would add an awkward twist to the story, I suppose...

16. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

More accurately, the real story is how he met Robin who goes on to be married to Ted's friend Barney, and Ted is the best man at that wedding, and how letting go of Robin prepares him to meet the Mother.

In hindsight (I doubt that Bays and Thomas knew the specific details of the endgame in the beginning) the show would have been better off starting from Ted meeting Barney. But it still makes sense starting it from meeting Robin.

17. Guy Gardener

The misdirect "And that's how I met Aunt Robin" still brings a smile to my face.

"Robin" was on Hollywood Gamenight last night, with her husband.

I've never really been attracted to Cobie, but Maria Hill was quite the game changer.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, "And that's the story of how I met...your Aunt Robin" is still one of my favorite moments from the show and it's really what kept me intrigued enough to keep watching those first few episodes.

I thought this was a beautiful episode. It makes me wish we weren't only getting one season with the Mother in it. Cristin Milioti has just been amazing. I do think this could have very easily been told as a two-part story, though.

19. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

My wife and I were talking about that last night as we watched the episode. We always watch the show a day or two later on the DVR. She has been fantastic, we wish she was introduced much earlier. A two parter would have been the better way to go.

20. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

A full season with the mother is more than I could have asked for. And I think it's enough. Seeing too much of her any earlier might have taken away a lot of of the mystery and anticipation that the show was built on.

Mine too.