Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

On the other hand, Coulson is the one who is stringing Skye along, pretending to help her on her quest while hiding the truth from her--and now he's enlisted May to string Skye along as well. Maybe they should just level with Skye and tell her, "Sorry. You don't get to know that. End of story."

One can hardly blame Skye for obsessing over her quest when they keep tossing her breadcrumbs . . . while keeping the answers dangling just beyond her reach.

2. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^From the look of the preview for the next episode it seems like maybe Coulson might find himself on the other end of such treatment.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

She's lucky she's on the Bus at all with the "OMG, it's All About Me"/self-absorbed teenager behavior that she's been displaying the last couple of weeks. I like the character when she's given better material (like the quippy observations), but the writers haven't been doing her any favors in my eyes lately.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Woops, my bad.

Hmmm, I'll have to go look up Roxxon. For all we know, that could be the organization as well.

Well, Graviton is certainly not currently willing to work for him. But who's to say that the Graviton experiment wasn't connected to them as well? Clearly Centipede wasn't their only project.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

How old is Sky supposed to be?

She's acting like an 18 year old, but the actress could pass for 27.

6. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Well Chloe Bennet is 21.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dinosaurs walked the Earth when I turned 21.

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The Strong Force and Weak Force hadn't disengaged when I was 21.

This was another great episode, and what a cliffhanger. The only problem I had with it was that SHIELD should have anticipated that Centipede would want to use Mike's kid against him and taken precautionary measures. I really hope that Mike isn't dead. He deserves to be a recurring character.

May's behavior did seem at odds with her prior developments-- i.e. the prank and hooking up with Ward-- but it seems to me that she is upset with how Coulson is handling the situation and is taking it out on Skye. It also seems to me that she is having second thoughts about hooking up with Ward.

The character interactions really make this show for me. I loved the conversation between Ward and Coulson in the car. Also, the scene where Simmons manually measured Mike's symmetry. It reminded me of the scene where Skye was checking out Ward with the x-ray spex. The women in this show have blood in their veins. :rommie:

And, boy, Raina and Po sure are creepy.

9. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Mike has extremis in his blood and "died" in a fiery explosion and then wasn't seen again.
    Isn't this pretty much how Pepper Potts "died" as well?

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Well, she and Ward almost got caught arguing about the relationship twice. Once by Coulson and once by Skye. In fact, I can't see how Skye couldn't have suspicions.

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

One thing you can't accuse May of is being out of character. She's made baby steps towards loosening up a bit, but chewing someone out for not having their mind on the mission is still very her.

12. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

May is Skye's mother, duh!

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

That's kind of what I've been thinking.

Anyway, what I saw of it was decent I was kind of spread thin while it was running doing other things, will watch it again this weekend. But it was a strong episode with a good mid-season cliffhanger (but The Walking Dead's was better. ;).)

Good episode and I think the show is hitting a bit better stride.

I've also decided that starting with the next part of the season to do weekly discussion threads.

14. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Maybe he's in Tahiti.

15. Alidar Jarok

Well, pure Extremis is unstable but also has significant healing properties. This doesn't seem to have those healing properties. At a minimum, people wouldn't be quite so drained after exerting themselves if it did. It also doesn't have heat properties, so it can't be exactly the same.

Alternatively, even if the regular formula has healing properties, who knows what the stungun-stabilized formula does. It might sacrifice healing for simple strength.

Anyway, I'm just speculating on ideas why dead is dead in this case.

16. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The healing factor still seems to be there for Mike, but operating at a slower pace than pure-Extremis users. Plus, he's got to eat a lot more to fuel it properly.

17. Alidar Jarok

I guess. It's hard to say from the sample size. The heat thing definitely appears to be gone, though, or else the bad guys would have used it.

18. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I thought the explosion was the bad guys covering the tracks as they made for the helicopter.

19. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're giving me an excuse to re-watch Iron Man 3 here...

20. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Me too. I've only seen it once.