Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by SLWalker, Nov 23, 2008.

1. SLWalker

SLWalker The OG Scotty Fangirl Premium Member

This section picks up one year after On the Nature of Wind. In order to really understand this, you should have probably read that. Especially since the first story spoils the ending of that tale.

It's also the last 'complete' part of the broad story arc that I have done so far; I doubt I'll post the rest yet, just because there are so many gaps where big things happen that the stories I do have done have little context. It may be a long time; right now, my ability to write well seems to have abandoned me.

Nonetheless, if you're interested in reading them out of context, you can find them here. There are some Pike-era pieces, and some classical TOS-style fanfic that doesn't require a ton of context to enjoy. Even a bit of Christmas fluff. All listed in chronological order, to boot.

True Bearings is probably one of my favorite parts, if only because it was written rather easily. It's still close to the ground, and most of it is strongly character-based. It has some really light, warm parts in it; likewise, it does have its occasional gritty moments. Mostly, it's about the process of discovering what it's like to be a part of a family.

"A true bearing is measured in relation to true north..."

2. SLWalker

Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Time

Title: Time
    Rating:
    PG
    Words: 3523
    Timeline: 2244
    Disclaimer: Scotty belongs to Paramount, Corry and family belong to yours truly.
    Notes: One year later finds Scotty and Corry doing the best they can to keep their heads up in the mess they got into. Originally posted here.

--

Pulled for story control.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
  3. SLWalker

Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Time

--

4. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Time

I hope he learns to make some sort of connection here--it sounds to me like he's guilting himself more than she actually holds him responsible.

5. SLWalker

A bit, in a way. Looking back at how Scott pretty much lived in fear of disappointing his own family --

--it makes sense. Yeah, he did make massive headway in ONOW in really learning how to one: connect with people and two: decide for himself what life would be about. But still has some lingering twitchiness; that's a whole lot of conditioning he's gotta shake off.

Though, you gotta give the boy credit for not ducking and running when Melinda dragged him in for breakfast. ;) That was a whole lot harder for him, than her.

This is definitely the set where you see that kind of learning happen. Which is a big reason I do love it so much.

6. Nerys Ghemor

I look forward to seeing the rest. :)

7. SLWalker

Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Breathless

Title: Breathless
    Rating:
    G
    Words: 497
    Timeline: 2245
    Disclaimer: Yet again, Paramount's.
    Notes: A book or two made the claim that Scotty was in charge of building the Enterprise, but seriously... he woulda been 23 when she was launched, and even as good as he is, he sure isn't good enough for Starfleet to put a young pup in charge of their newest ships. So, this is my sensible alternative. Originally posted here.

--

8. Nerys Ghemor

Re: Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Breathless

This is just gorgeous--like a painting or a film, very engaging to the senses. It has that same lyrical feel I love in the works of Diane Duane when she gets to describing the Enterprise. :)

9. SLWalker

I've drawn for this one, too. ;) It's short, but I couldn't draw it out to be any longer; so much of what he feels is on such a subconscious, indescribable level that there's really no quantifying it in words. Thank you!

10. DavidFalkayn

DavidFalkayn Commodore Commodore

Getting caught up on all my reading and I'm enjoying the beginning of this tale. I like your portrayal of Scotty--you give him a complexity and a deepness that the series really only hinted at. I wonder how much the various comic book portrayals of Scotty--especially the DC series--have influenced you? I know DC did, by and large, an excellent job in fleshing out the show's "secondary" characters--especially Scotty and Chekov--turning them into far more than the caricatures they were often portrayed as in the series.

Very nicely done--this series is very much a breath of fresh air--I love coming back to your work after a hard week or so at work.

11. SLWalker

Thanks so much! Believe it or not, most of what I drew from is on-screen canon and the occasional book; I've never read the comics. Well, at least for Trek. ;-) One book was Kobayashi Maru because it painted a very vivid picture of a young Scotty, who was very different from he was in canon and yet absolutely rang 'true' in characterization, and the other was Vulcan's Glory, but mostly for the secondary cast of characters and the definitive beginning of his time on the Enterprise. Also took at least a few things off of Doohan himself -- the rougher childhood, the cooking thing, etc.

Most of it, though, is just a whole lot of asking questions and then waiting for answers. Scotty was such a terrific character in TOS; he had good moments of comedy, but he also had his good moments of drama. He was sharp a lot of the time,yet painfully oblivious on occasion; one moment he could be jacked up manic and the next, he'd be an iceberg. He always looked like he was buzzing with energy, even when he was standing perfectly still. And his body-language is just a trip -- I dunno how much of it was subconscious on Doohan's part, and how much of it was acting choice, but he really did paint an awesome picture of someone who says a whole lot without ever saying anything... if you know his language.

This is all just me trying to figure it out -- a lifetime of observation, seven years of questions, and over 200,000 words of waiting for answers. ;)

Thanks again for the comment! I'm thoroughly glad you're enjoying it; it may not ever be what most people would expect when they try to imagine a backstory for him, but I sure hope always rings 'true'.

12. SLWalker

Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Faithful

Title: Faithful
    Rating:
    G
    Words: 1253
    Timeline: 2245
    Disclaimer: Scotty belongs to Paramount, Corry and his lot are mine.
    Notes: After two years away, how do you go back home? Originally posted here.

--

13. Nerys Ghemor

Re: Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Faithful

Wow...very moving!

I also like that you recognize the fact that reverse culture shock can occur--after spending that long in a foreign culture, undoing all the effort you spent in the adjustment isn't as easy as it seems.

14. SLWalker

Yeah, it can. Poor Corry has this real natural kind of exuberance that he had to keep pretty strictly controlled for a long time; this was actually really hard to write, because he was so ambivalent when I wrote it. Scared. "How do I just go back home?"

Thanks so much for the comment!

15. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

And I think you convey it quite well. I liked this a lot. I read during my lunch break today; good job!

Rob

16. SLWalker

Thank you very much!

17. SLWalker

Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Perfectly Good Sunday

Title: Perfectly Good Sunday
    Rating: G
    Timeline: Fall 2245
    Words: 1510
    Disclaimer: Scotty belongs to Paramount, Corry doesn't.
    Notes: A bit of a light, easy-going fall-based piece.

--

18. Nerys Ghemor

Re: Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Perfectly Good Sunday

What a nice bit of light fun! :)

19. SLWalker

^Thanks!

20. SLWalker

Arc of the Wolf: True Bearings - Bookends

Title: Bookends
    Rating:
    PG-13
    Words: 7468
    Timeline: 2246
    Disclaimer: Scotty is Paramount's property. Everyone else is mine. Wanna borrow 'em, just ask.
    Notes: If you believe that the 23rd century is a perfect utopia and none of the things that exist now will exist then, then this isn't the story for you. It is, however, a reasonably optimistic tale. It's not tightly scripted or plotted, it's just another of those 'life is close to the ground' stories that's more about the characters than anything else. Originally posted here.

--