Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Enterprise is Great, Jul 10, 2013.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th

Which is what I meant. It was bad enough when they kept the identity of Cumberbatch's role a secret for nearly a year teasing he was playing someone from canon and then announcing he was playing a character named John Harrison. Then it basically came to the point that they were telling everyone there was a twist in the movie involving the villain but they wouldn't say what the twist was. You want to keep a twist a secret? Don't tell people it's in the movie.

Now the way they should have handled it was to announce when Cumberbatch was cast that he was playing John Harrison and not give any hints about that name being an alias. You want to do this sort of thing correctly, look at Batman Begins. Liam Neeson was announced as playing Ducard. That satisfied people wanting information and place a spotlight on the character and therefore when he's revealed to be Ra's Al Ghul, it is unexpected. That is a twist.

Instead, with Cumberbatch cast but his character not announced, it led to months of speculation as to who he was playing. When asked in interviews, the Bad Robot gang hint it's someone we might be familiar with, drawing more attention and a bigger spotlight on the character. When fans were certain it was Khan, the announcement is made that he's John Harrison. Fans assume this to be an alias, and Bad Robot hints this maybe so. Essentially, when silence could have served the twist better they instead draw attention by saying "there's a twist but we're not telling you what it is." And that is childish. No other word to describe it.

By the time the revelation is made in the movie everyone is just like "well fucking duh." Really sloppy way to handle that. I hope next time they don't try to play this game at all.

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

There is a "limited edition gift set" that comes with a phaser replica.

3. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I won't quote it in full as it's so long, but I must say I agree 100% with The Wormhole above. That said, I've never liked the slimy Khan played by Montalban, the Cumberbatch cold Khan is much better. That said, I don't think the film would have suffered at all even if Harrison had been simply an augment named Harrison.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Mmmm, I dunno. I rather enjoyed the experience of watching all the red herrings unfold. And seeing the expression on nickyboy's face, (ie. my TrekBBS companion on premiere night). Little niggly feelings up and down the spine. Not really knowing for sure what Harrison was going to announce when he says, "My name is..."

And then the second viewing is a whole new experience.

It reminded me a bit of the misdirection in ST II, when Spock is seen to die in the simulator. You think, "Already?" Then everyone else dies (of over-acting), and then Kirk walks in like the Second Coming and resurrects them all. It's also a very different experience, that second viewing of ST II, because you watch it in full knowledge of what will unfold.

5. Tiberius13

Tiberius13 Cadet Newbie

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am looking forward to DELETED SCENES!!!!!!!!

Hopefully there are some.

7. The Wormhole

Does he even have to be an Augment? If the villain were John Harrison, renegade Starfleet officer turned terrorist fighting for an ideology you'd still have the same movie. The only real change is that there'd be no magic blood that can cure death, but all that means is we can't kill Kirk and rip TWOK off.

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Maybe the Dec. 31 was just a placeholder date, to be revised once the actual release date became known?

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

No word on an iTunes release date (the Store has an entry for the film although they don't mention a date), although I would guess it'd be roundabout the same time as the DVD/BD date. Sometimes films make iTunes earlier than the disc versions, though.

10. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Don't you think it is more a matter of whether the payoff is worth it? I mean, I can see why Fincher didn't want the weird Tyler Durden reveal publicized before FIGHT CLUB came out, because a good hunk of his audience hadn't read the novel. But that's keeping a secret for a difference that MAKES a difference, whereas this is ... just gimmicky, maybe?

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Something I saw the other day said August for online downloads and September for DVD/Blu-ray.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/sta...to-darkness-dvd-blu-ray-release-date-revealed

"Its digital release is earmarked for August 20th."

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Good to know. :)

13. The Wormhole

Totally. They wanted to do a mind blowing twist but forgot that in order to do it you can't draw any attention to it or shine any light on it. Instead they light up an entire city block in flashing neon lights and tried to say "nothing to see here folks."

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the Khan hoopla was to keep the Kirk death scene and Spock's rampage a surprise (which it was, at least to me!)

15. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree it definitely feels like this is just an initial quick bare bones release with a "Deluxe" edition coming sometime in the future. I may still pick it up though depending on the pricing!

16. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Maybe they thought the payoff was worth it. Or it's possible that Lindelof is a fan of the mystery box with no payoff. Lost would seem to be an indication of that.

17. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Because then its just another lame Khan expy.

Or do you seriously think he wouldn't come off like that?

I'd rather have the real thing (figuratively speaking) then just another pale imitation thank you very much.

I'm still sticking with this

18. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

Indeed, it certainly made the movie a whole lot better for me, going into the cinema not knowing a thing about his character.

Also the film shouldn't be punished for people being spoiler whores and ruining it for themselves before they saw the film ;)

All of the Kahn hoo-ha was really just a giant diversion to deflect from the fact that Admiral Marcus was the real villain, Kahn was just a big set up for the next film.

JJ did a great job with that and the entire film, the best in the entire Trek franchise. :techman:

When it comes to the DVD, i'm hoping for lots of deleted scenes and a properly good look at that new ship so I don't have to freeze frame it to death like the cool person I am :D

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

I was actually trying to be unspoiled for Harrison's identity, but a total buttmunch nuTrek-hater on another website spoiled it for me by somehow acting as if white text against a gray background was as good as actually using spoiler tags.

I mean, really, it's like if you walked into a room in a house, and the walls were painted gray, and there was writing on one wall in white spray paint. I'm not supposed to see that?

20. The Wormhole

Make the character a special ops badass and he could still win against the Klingons, just with something a bit more creative then "beat them as the storm in." The big fight against Spock probably wouldn't happen, or at least be as intense since Kirk wouldn't have been killed and therefore Spock shouldn't be as pissed.