New Zealand legalises same-sex marriage

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Candlelight, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I think NZ has been ahead of us several times - they had a female PM ahead of us, they had a female GG before us, they took a stand on nuclear powered ships when we didn't.

I am also perplexed by Gilliard's stand on gay marriage. You would think that being an atheist living with a man she isn't married to should have already turned the more devout Christians against her so why should it matter that much if she alienates them further by supporting gay marriage.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well as I said in some other thread a labor party guy told me she needs the support of the Catholic backed unions who have traditionally voted labor.

3. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

And of course, as everyone knows all Catholics - every last one of us, everywhere - is against same-sex marriage.

:rolleyes:

Gillard's stance is bewildering, and her comment last year that her own relationship proves people can have a "relationship of love and commitment and trust and understanding that doesn't need a marriage certificate associated with it" was particularly insensitive and thoughtless.

The fact so many state political leaders on all sides are in favour is good, but not good enough.

4. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

well, catholicism + unions doesn't scream tolerance and progressiveness to me

5. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gillard is also heavy supported by the Labor right, which would be more inclined to favour a status quo on marriage rights.

As for Abbott, I doubt he'll allow a conscious vote before the next election. Politically he has nothing to gain from one. His current stand saw little movement in the polls last time there was a vote and given the huge margin the Coalition has they can take a hit if it comes. Not to mention that it would deny the Labor government something new to their "legacy".

Anyway, good on the NZ government for doing the right thing.

6. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

So sad to hear :(

I guess they gave in, I fear this will happen in the US soon enough.

Not many places left in the world that hold up the values of marriage anymore.

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Luckily, more and more that protect the values of freedom and equal rights.

8. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I think allowing gay marriage strengthens the values of marriage. It is encouraging a group of people, who haven't been able in the past to show how committed they are to the person they love the most, to make the strongest commitment available.

9. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

[​IMG]

10. teacake

The values being love and fidelity? Or the values being all about your genitals?

11. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:guffaw:
    The values being "gays are icky!" I mean, duh.

Brent, I hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but more countries allowing gays to marry is an objectively good thing. Sorry, I know that probably comes as a blow.

Feel free to join us in the 21st century any time, though.

12. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

the mere thought of gay marriage makes you fear? :guffaw:

drinking a glass of milk must be a life-or-death battle against drowning for you

13. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Yet the people who will actually see their lives changed by this hope your fear is justified.

And I would not rely on vacation spots like the one Locutus offered either, if history is any indication the future is not likely to leave them alone.

14. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I hear that same-sex marriage will destroy everything some Americans hold dear.

How exactly, I've yet to have explained.

15. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

americans like to bang on about 'freedom' at every opportunity so clearly brent's not a patriot.

16. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

I think what is the more appropriate question. The notion that anything of value will be lost if you allowed people to marry whom they love is preposterous. If you are not one of those people, you might not even notice it. If you dislike them so much, you will never attend, let alone participate in it, so what goes behind the wall of that Church[1] that you're so terrified to enter will remain forever inconsequential for you, without as much as brushing past your life.[2]

But much more importantly, if these are the people that you have a problem with, your priorities about the world around you are way off. With all the terrible things that people do, having a problem with two people expressing and celebrating their love for each other in the same way as all other people do is somewhere at the bottom of the list.

[1] Hey, many churches, including churches in Canada, Denmark, Sweden and Norway, have already embraced marriage equality. Coming soon to churches near you. Brace for impact.
    [2] Well, I guess if you were perving around and imagining the two husbands kiss, it could have certain stiff consequences, but then don't blame them.

17. teacake

FFS people are already having sex with whomever they want, living with whomever they want, raising children with whomever they want. This isn't about anyone's behavior, it's about christianity's ownership of a piece of paper, a piece of paper that doesn't belong to them anyway. Why does the church (that nebulous thing that most people associate with its most obnoxious members) get to define and own marriage?

Seriously get the fuck off the ownership deal.

18. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I'll never understand the logic behind being against same sex marriage.

- 2 women fucking and doing all manner of "deviant" (re: fun ;) ) sexual act to one and other, paid to do so, and on camera = hot; 2 women in a committed long term monogamous relationship = disgusting and unnatural and should be stopped.

- Marriage must be protect; but divorce is legal.

- "It's all about money!"; yet talk about stripping marriage incentives from the tax code, see what happens

- "It devalues marriage"; so if two loving people who just happen to be the same gender are married, that will make you love your wife/husband less and make your marriage worth less? Don't the seem to point to a problem in YOUR marriage and not the homosexual couple's?

19. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I know. If my brother dies, I don't get to automatically marry his smoking hot wife (Deuteronomy 25:5-10), and what's worse, is that they stopped forcing women to marry their rapists (Deuteronomy 22:28-29)! What an affront to god! Did you know that you can't give women to men as gifts anymore (1 Sam 18:17)?!

Marriage sure has changed. I weep for this nation. :(

20. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

yeah i bet he's just as repulsed by people that eat meat on fridays. the degenerates!