"King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by CaptainCanada, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

I think Master of the House and Beggars At the Feast need to be left in otherwise we have a story where nearly everybody dies (a very high body count for a musical which includes a young boy) and both add a much needed levity to the story. While Dog Eats Dog does really bring to light the very dark and cold heart of Thénardier.

It has been said before and if it must be cut, I think a cut of the musical should be made that is much like The 10th Anniversary Concert.

People are willing to watch movies of 3 hours with an intermission. Many movies are reaching the 2.5 hour mark an extra 0.5 hours shouldn't be a problem.

2. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

I really hope the film will have an intermission. That way they can make it longer and "One Day More" is so perfectly designed to lead into a break.

3. Vanyel

Yes, it certainty is.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Sadly, I suspect they'll cut "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables." It's a lovely song, but it doesn't really advance the plot. And it slows things down just as, in theory, the movie is heading for its conclusion.

5. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Intermissions are a thing of the past.

6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Anybody who is doubtful of Taylor's ability to handle a song like On My Own really needs to go take a listen to "Safe and Sound", the song she wrote and recorded for the upcoming filmic adaptation of The Hunger Games. It's a very hauntingly beautiful track that reminds me a lot of On My Own and some of the other iconic songs from Les Mis, and is a very different song than her usual fare.

I have no real interest in seeing the HG film, but this song is fast becoming my new favorite TS song (I've already listened to it twice in the past 5 minutes, courtesy of YouTube).

7. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

^ That's a beautiful song, thanks for pointing it out. If she does more in that vein, that'll be fantastic.

That said... while it makes me feel better about her casting, it still leaves me very unsure for one reason. She does the haunting, quiet stuff really well, but "On My Own" turns from that into a BIG massive orchestral song - a chance for the singer to absolutely show off her pipes. You could change it of course, but that would be a real shame at least in my mind.

That would make me sad. :( I got the chance to see the traveling Broadway production the other night and I was struck by just how much I like some of the quieter songs in Act II.

Yeah, tis true. The most recent movie I saw with an intermission was the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven - and of course that wasn't released to theaters.

8. Vanyel

That would be a shame, indeed.

The Act II is amazing. I really never understood why people dislike Act II, and it's songs.

True, but I think an Intermission would be nice just to get up off my butt and use the bathroom. Titanic was 194 minute (3 hours 19 minutes) and I was really ready to go to the bathroom.

Dances with Wolves was the last movie I saw at the theater with an intermission, but I still think it would work. Just so long as there are no seat stealers.

9. DigificWriter

I just rewatched the Lea Salonga On My Own clip, and while I don't know if Taylor could hit the notes that the song reaches when sung live on stage, the song will likely be staged/arranged slightly differently because of the differences between film and live on-stage theater, so even if it turns out that Taylor can't hit precisely the same notes one would in a live theatrical production of Les Mis, I think she'll still be able to perform the song well and without any difficulties.

10. nvek86

I could see them leaving it in as a little breather after the battles and before the finale. Isn't it also one of the better known songs of the musical? That might help.

11. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

The last theatrical release I can think of that had an intermission was Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet, which was (A) four hours and (B) a specialty property.

12. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Gods and Generals in 2003 had an intermission.

I still don't know why I actually sat through that horrific thing.

13. Vanyel

Too big a change and it'll ruin the song. I can't imagine it sung any other way.

14. DigificWriter

The fact of the matter is that On My Own isn't going to be arranged/staged exactly like it is in the on-stage production because film and live on-stage theater are different mediums. Because they're different mediums, trying to judge whether or not Taylor Swift is going to be able to perform On My Own by looking at the stage production as a barometer is really like trying to compare apples to oranges.

I'd also like to add that expecting every single person to sing a given song exactly the same way is unrealistic, and would be akin to expecting every single person to play a given sport exactly the same way.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  15. Vanyel

No stage two production of the same play are staged exactly alike. You can see that by searching for On My Own in Youtube. Also look up, Rose's Turn, from Gypsy. Look up All I Ask of You from The Phantom of the Opera. You'll find different people singing them. Some will have a key change, but otherwise when it's time to belt out the song or sing lovingly, they are the same.They are the same because the song is not just a song. It's inner dialogue. It's the venting of anger or the expression of love. It's not just hitting notes, staying on pitch or in key or time. It's more. It's emotion, it's theater; where we, the audience, need to get pulled into these characters lives. If we're not pulled in, or jolted out because of a singer(s) ability, we all lose.

Check out the songs I listed and you'll see the ones that stray too far from the original suck.

If Swift agrees to do the role, I'll be rooting for her and the whole cast. I want to be wrong about Swift, but so far I'm not seeing anything to make think I'm wrong. I really want to be wrong, you can't tell how much, but I really want to be wrong.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  16. nvek86

The cinema I usually go to, sometimes puts intermissions into films. I remember they stopped "The Dark Knight" (I think after Gordon was shot) for a 15 min. break and I think they did it for the "Lord of the Rings" films as well.

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Really? I would think, regardless if the theater owner thinks the movie needs one or not, they wouldn't be able to do that legally.

18. nvek86

I've never thought about it from a legal point of view, so no idea if they are allowed to do it or if it's just a case of no studio bothering to complain.
    I should also add that they only did the breaks for the first two or three weeks. Later in their runs, they showed the films in one piece.

19. Vanyel

Here's Solo Yo, On My Own in Spanish. Just as pretty and still the same On My Own even in a different language.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JezqWyU0Zr8[/yt]

20. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

So, looking over the Wiki article, apparently Claude-Michael Schoenberg is writing new music and a new song for the movie adaptation, and it's definitely going to be about 2 1/2 hours long.