what's next for Marvel (movies)?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, May 6, 2012.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

No denying Avi had a big role in the success of Marvel Films. None.
    But just like Brannon and Braga, despite all the good you did...it's time to move on.

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I agree very much with what Out of My Vulcan Mind has been saying, but this example doesn't exactly fit with your others since it was only produced to ensure the studio kept the rights to FF, rather than ever intending the movie to be released.

The other examples, of course, were perfect, and your overall point was spot-on.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

That the Corman FF was never intended to be released is an urban myth.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  4. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Ah, thanks for the correction. In that case, disregard my previous post! ;)

5. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to agree here.
    Of course, I also like the 1990 Captain America.
    I even liked what they did with daredevil in that Hulk tv movie. Mostly. Thor... not so much.
    If it helps maintain any cred at all, I hated the short-lived Spiderman tv series.

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I can't speak to the others but the Corman FF movie was utterly awful, even keeping in mind the not-so-great pair of movies we got more recently.

7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they should have dropped Sandman all he basically did was screw up Spider-Man's origin story with a crappy recont. which makes you wonder why he's sticking with the superhero thing seeing as some random guy who he had nothing to do with killed his uncle and not the robber he let get away.

I liked how Spectacular Spider-man handled it they gave the story a few more episodes.

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I couldn't make it past the first 45 minutes of the Corman FF movie. I tried watching it earlier this year on the strength of certain posters on this board singing its praises (you know who you are). Horrible, horrible film.

9. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Even once you get past the production values, everything else about it is horrible: the story, the acting, the directing, everything. Not a single praiseworthy element in the whole thing.

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah. I'd made generous allowances for production values. Some of my favorite films are low-budget films (e.g., Split, The Evil Dead, Primer). They, on the other hand, weren't really trying.

11. Turtletrekker

12. Turtletrekker

In the Iron Man 3 thread, I mentioned a "Playlist" podcast with info on IM3 that I couldn't access at work. Now that I'm home, I listened to the whole thing, and it turns out that there is all sorts of future Marvel movie info.

The first 20 minutes is about DC movies and JLA. The Marvel stuff begins at 21 minutes.

There is a ton of info and casting speculation and possible spoilers, but in brief...

Iron Man 3 to feature Mandarin and Radioactive Man as the villains and Ant-Man is apparently going to be introduced in the post-credits sequence. Gwyneth Paltrow will have a reduced role in IM3. Apparently, Edgar Wright would like Simon Pegg to portray Hank Pym, in preparation for a 2014 release of Ant-Man. (An aside-- how do YOU pronounce "Pym"? I always pronounced it like "dim", but in the podcast, they are pronouncing it like "dime".)

Kat Denning's Darcy will NOT be in Thor 2. Expect appearances from the Enchantress, Executioner and, apparently Dr. Strange (?), who seems to be a colleague of Jane Foster. (The Eye of Agamotto was in Odin's throne room in Thor! Was this planned that far in advance?)

Cap 2 is still being written, but Arnim Zola will be in the movie along with Bucky/Winter Soldier, and presumably the Red Skull. SHIELD will play a big part, with Fury, Widow, Hawkeye and Hill all having roles. Also possibly an appearance by William Hurt as General Ross! Also, possibly the return of Hayley Atwell as Sharon Carter in the modern day!

Talk of Heroes for Hire or another Hulk film for 2014. Black Panther may appear in the Hulk movie. Joss Whedon is intertested in writing the Hulk sequel for Drew Goddard to direct. The guy who played Sam Sterns/the future Leader is signed for more movies.

RDJ's contract runs out after Avengers 2, not Iron Man 3, but he is in re-negotiation contract talks.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  13. Trek4Ever

Trek4Ever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Edgar Wright's supposed choice to play Ant Man is actually kind of uninspiring and would make the character too comical. The only interesting way to do Pym is to make him a bit darker (but probably hold back on the abusive husband bit).

This blog actually has some great choices to play various Marvel heroes ( I esp. liked the werewolf guy from True Blood to play Hercules) http://starloggers.wordpress.com/2012/06/11/casting-call-for-the-next-avengers/

14. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem is that these guys have no intention of taking Hank Pym seriously; I'm surprised they haven't floated Jack Black as a potential. Stand alone movies are one thing; but I don't see Hank integrating into the Avengers if he's just the butt of a joke.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Why do you think they would treat him as a joke? Is it his silly superhero name, the fact that he turns tiny as a power, that he rides ants into battle, or that one of his best known stroylines was as a wife abuser in the comics?

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Simon Pegg has the ability to play a character non comedic. Anyone see his performance in "Doctor Who"? I don't see why Wright or Black or whoever eventually gets to be the first to actually write Hank would write him as the butt end of a joke or not take him seriously.

17. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

This.

19. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I know Radioactive Man is from the comics (well, a fact I only learned the other week from watching A:EMH Season 1) but how can you have a character called that and not just think of This the whole time?

20. Turtletrekker

Exactly. That's why it's called "acting". It's been said that comedy is harder to perform than drama anyway.