(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman:

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well that doesn't happen very often. Our goalkeeper goes off injured then our sub goalie gets sent off!

Robbuie Savage, super keeper! Have to be impressed that Reading only got 2 more goals considering we played an hour with 10 men and with a midfielder between the sticks...

3. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Could only happen to Derby.

Now desperately searching for an emergency keeper ahead of the game at the weekend. Apparently we're in for 3, 2 of whom are from Premier League clubs.

Shame about Madrid last night. Oh no, wait, it wasn't. Guess they should have bought some more defenders......

United looked impressive, but Milan were woeful. The game was over as soon as the second goal went in. A lot of the Milan players just phoned in the rest of their performance after that.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Rooney is on fire...hope he keeps his momentum going for the WC! Loved Beckham grabbing a green/gold scarf :lol:

Yes it can only happen to Derby. I'm sure there must have been an occasion since but the last time I remember an outfield player having to go in the nets was Paul Williams when we lost 4-3 to (I think) Bristol City. Paul Simpson got a hat trick and still ended up on the losing side!

Heard rumours about Simonson at Stoke who'd be good. Nigel seems to be suggesting it would only be for a week. You have to wonder if NC was more confident in Deeny he'd have started with him last night if Bywater was carrying an injury. I really feel we need another keeper next season.

5. Angel4576

First time we've needed Deeney and he got himself sent off. I don't rate him too highly irrespective of that, so I think we probably need to have a look at the goalkeeping situation in the summer. I don't think Price will figure, and I don't rate Deeney which only leaves Bywater. We need some decent competition for the position. Simonsen is a very good keeper, wouldn't mind getting him in. Third in the pecking order at Stoke at the moment.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I can understand the situation we're in. Clough rates Bywater, he is a great keeper at this level after all, and like you say, this is the first time Deeney has been needed. Given the need to save money on wages there is a certain logic to having a reserve keeper who's probably earning relatively little. Add in the fact that you get special dispensation even outside of the transfer and loan windows to loan a keeper and at worst you might have to rely on Deeny for a game, maybe two.

Still I don't like it. Bywater knows he has no real competition, and I always think every player should have someone pushing him for his place.

I hadn't realised but Price doesn't even seem to be an ever present for Brentford! Oh for the days when we had Camp and Grant! Actually oh for the days when we had Poom and Taylor (Actually wonder if Martin wants to come out of retirement?)

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Utd were brilliant yesterday and looked better with Vidic/Ferdinand together, hell even Neville looked solid though I still have doubts about him...

Rooney needs to teach Crouch how to head :p though I do admire the energy in that midfield pre any return of Hargreaves. Fletcher, Carrick, Park with Gibson on the bench and the experience of Scholes is a solid 5 to pick from and that will get better if Hargreaves returns, sell Anderson whose never earned his wages.

I still feel they need something more on the left flank as Nani doesn't quite cut it. Personally I wonder if Valencia would sell Silva for Nani plus £20 million as they would get a player who would settle in Spain easy and can use the money to service debts.

tonight am going for Chelsea 1-1 Inter (2-3 agg).

8. Angel4576

Chelsea will see off Inter IMO. Inter were extremely fortunate to win the game in Milan, I don't think they'll get lucky twice. A 1-0 would be good enough for Chelsea but I doubt that they'll need to rely on away goals to be honest.

There you go, I've tempted fate, so now let's wait for the inevitable Inter win..... :lol:

9. Angel4576

Fcuk me, Peter Gadsby's made a £37m bid to oust the Americans at Derby and return.

Initial bid rebuffed, ball back in Gadsby's court.

10. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

My condolences, Eleanor_zhDarjel, today's match might have been the final blow...

Looks like Germany will be only country in Europe without a team from their capital in the top football league next year.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Frankly I think I prefer the Americans, I'm amazed that PG is back again, especially given all his laughable comments in the pre season before we became the worst team in history. "we're not here to make the numbers up." No we weren't even that goo! "Signings to blow the roof off Pride PArk" Yeah Kenny Miller footballing genius!

Ah well, least life as a Derby fan is never dull.

12. Eleanor_zhDarjel

Eleanor_zhDarjel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

in the year of the flood, St. Stephen King Day
    *sigh*
    Looks like it. The bloody idiots habe a gift for taking in goals in the last minutes. :wah:

Will definetly need alcohol at the end of the season...

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Forest's auto promotion hopes are over because after that 3-2 defeat we are 6 points behind well 7 due to goal difference and I don't see us closing the gap. No Premier League football for us because well we have never won a playoff tie over 2 legs EVER since there introduction.

At least Derby vs. Forest next year too look forward to.

14. Angel4576

Ain't that the truth.

I agree. I must admit, deep down, I'd prefer local ownership, but I don't think Gadsby's the answer. He sold out because he didn't have the means to take us forward. Has that suddenly changed? I doubt it. More likely is that he'll be using the situation to resurrect his Pride Plaza plans. Thus far, I know that people are still somewhat skeptical of the Americans, but personally, I can't really fault them. Most of the moaners are doing so because money isn't being invested on the pitch. That's true, but look at what they have done, they've turned us from a club haemorrhaging money into a self-sustaining business. That's a pretty solid foundation to go forward on. We won't do anything on the pitch for a couple of years, hence the priority really is just to stay in the CCC, but surely we all knew that. The only time in the last few years where we haven't been doing that is when we've spent money like it's going out of fashion, which was just worsening the debt position.

Gadsby goes on about being a fan. Fair enough, put your money where your mouth is then. If you're that much of a fan why don't you just give Nigel the £5m that you've promised him should you take control of the club?

I won't hold my breath! :lol:

5 points Mark, or possibly 6 with the goal difference. ;)

The playoffs are a lottery. If you're going into them then it's best that you know for a while that you're going into them. What you don't want is to lose out on second place on the last day of the season. The disappointment is crushing, and will most likely see you going out in the semi finals.

I have this horrible feeling that Leicester might get the third spot. Ironic, given that they're the team in the East Midlands that no one really gives a fcuk about.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

ha ha that is true about Leicester...although for a long time I actually hated them more than Forest (mainly down to the 94 play off final) frankly Forest are the snake to our mongoose (or the Doctor Evil to our Austin Powers) we'd miss em. Leicester? Nah wouldn't miss them.

I think you're right about Gadsby and the Plaza. It would be nise if Nigel was spending millions on players in the summer but we don't want to go down the spending beyond our means route again. Besides, 5 million doesn't actually buy you a lot once wages are taken into consideration anyway!

16. Angel4576

The thing with Gadsby is that he keeps banging on about being a fan, then simply prove it. A fan, wouldn't put in money looking for a return. That's not how Lionel Pickering played the game. It all went pear-shaped for Lionel in the end and he lost a small personal fortune, his own money, but he loved the club and put in whatever he could, never being overly bothered about a return, or certainly not as much as bringing some success on the pitch.

Problem is, Gadsby was also part of that era so knows better than most just how dangerous putting your own money in can be.

I'd like to see Nige spending millions, but it can't be borrowed money.

17. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Trying to get an objective opinion, do you people here think this situation should result in a penalty kick? (the violet team is defending)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyfsxFD6hac&feature=player_embedded[/yt]

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Thats a clear penalty and probably a red card for trying to take his head off with his elbow.

Beckham's World Cup Dream is over and most likely his England career too :( what a sad way to end it for no matter what people may think a true England legend. The only winger we have that can hold the ball and pass it anyway close to his standards is Milner but its a shame and the curse of England losing a big name b4 a World Cup Continues :rolleyes: ffs.

Lennon, Milner (double up as CM) who will get the last two places?

Young, SWP, Walcott, Downing, J,Cole, A.Johnson ???

My guess would be SWP and Walcott.

19. Angel4576

Can't see the vid at work so will comment later.

Beckham, a real shame, but I don't think he'd have been a starter in South Africa so more of an emotional loss than any great loss to the first team.

Milner will definitely go. Not sure about Lennon, aren't Spurs concerned with his progress back from injury?

I think Walcott is a definite now, simply because he can play on the wing or up front, and he has bags of pace. SWP will probably make it too.

Only other one that I could see having a chance is Young.

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

^ Lennon is due back in early April so hopefully he can have a month of first team action and a fresh Lennon is a powerful weapon. Walcott has a great controlled shot when hes in front of goal so I think its time he begins to play up front more hes a striker in the Owen of old fashion and not a winger.

Milner for me should play over Gerrard on the left.