Destiny trilogy - speculations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JoeZhang, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

In this case, Ian, it's not speculation.

Margaret Clark has said in the past -- most recently at Shore Leave -- that there would be follow-up on "The Final Flight of the Columbia" image at some point.

ETA: I had to recheck some notes. It was Shore Leave 2006, not Shore Leave 2007. My bad. "There's a story to be told there," is the paraphrase in my notes.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  2. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just saw that TrekWeb just posted the Amazon describtion that we are all talking about on here. Makes you wonder more about this whole thing.

I bet the Columbia got sucked into some kind of anomaly or wormhole that got her stuck in the Gamma Quadrant somehow. I'm sure Mack will explain that in the book.

I know for sure like you all, I can't wait for this book either. I have to figure out how to try things in w/ my on going series I'm working on, which will all be revealed in fan fiction and the art section as well. I have made some posts a summer or so ago about it.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, just look at Klingon politics and what has been happening with B'Oraq Obama.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldnt judge by that if I were you, they don't seem to be the most reliable source when it comes to this kind of stuff.

5. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, one of the few areas where they actually seem to have any kind of "connections" is when it comes to the IDW comics.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And Hillary Klingon? And John McKang?

7. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those would be the players, now that Mike Hurqabee has dropped out.

Fictitously yours, Trent Roman

8. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*sigh* And I thought we had finally put those kind of word plays into quarantine in the Bad SCE joke thread. ;)

9. elaithin

elaithin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been looking over my shoulder for the guards to come and seize me ever since I said that. So far, they haven't shown... Ah well. I shall enjoy my good fortune in the meantime. :beer:

10. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As with most other people, I'm highly anticipating the Destiny novels and they're wide area of focus across many series. Because I'm not up-to-date on most of the novel-based series though, I'm a little concerned about the possibilty of spoilers and for those series and the continuation of plot threads that I am not familiar with. Because of this, I was wondering if those who are more closely involved with the novels might recommend to me what novel series I might spend the next few months focusing on to enjoy the greatest familiarity with Destiny. Here's how much I've read from each series:

TNG-R - Up to date (read up to and including Before Dishonor)
    DS9-R - Only read Avatar, books 1 & 2
    VOY-R - Read Home Coming & The Farther Shore
    ENT-R - Up to date (read The Good That Men Do)
    NF - Only read book 1, House of Cards
    SCE/COE - Only on book 2 of SCE & The Art of the Comeback of COE
    SGZ - Not read anything yet but own the Pantheon collection
    GKN/KE - Not read anything yet but own Diplomatic Implausibility
    TTN - 2/3rds through book 1
    VGD - Up to date (up to and including Reap the Whirlwind)

Thanks!!

11. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ If you're up to date on TNG-R, I'd say just focus on getting up to date with Titan. No need to worry about DS9 spoilers -- we're moving ahead without necessarily giving away what happened before, as the DS9 books will continue to unfold at their own pace. All the references will be explained in context, though if you've read the TNG and Titan books that lead up to Destiny (including Christopher L. Bennett's upcoming Greater Than the Sum), you'll get the most out of the trilogy.

12. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, even though it's a big major crossover, will it be billed under the TNG heading? Or the Titan heading? or just a general Star Trek heading?

13. Christopher

It's Star Trek: Destiny.

14. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So we'll all be referring to it as... STD? :borg:

15. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

*shocking* I have to agree with Xeris for once. I could see Ezri as an Acting First Officer under circumstances of extreme duress, but not as a Captain unless you were to write a story set several years ahead, say, during Kim's time in the center seat of the Nova A-Class U.S.S. Rhode Island and/or Geordi LaForge aboard the Galaxy-Class U.S.S. Discovery as its C.O.

Is it possible that Captain Hernandez of the Discovery NX-02 is the source of the energy pulses or the clone of "Trip" buried in space by Archer?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  16. Christopher

NX-02 is Columbia. Following the space-shuttle homage pattern, Discovery would be NX-04 (Challenger would be NX-03, Atlantis -05, and Endeavour -06).

17. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow, I'm doing pretty good keeping up with all the new stuff. Out of all those, the only series I haven't read everything is SCE/COE and I'm only one dead tree book behind on that one. I've bought Creative Couplings but haven't read it yet. The story collections always sit on my shelf for a couple months or so before they are read.

Guess I'll be ready for Destiny when it comes out...

18. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's very interesting that you say that. It seems to me that whenever people talk about how in Trek dead doesn't mean dead, they ignore that fact. When I count the times that a character in Star Trek has actually died and returned from the dead, I count two.

Spock.

Trip Tucker. (And this is a special case, cause we didn't see him die, we were told by characters 200 years removed, and most people don't even count the novels.)

But people, including writers, often mention other "deaths," even if the audience found out within the next scene of an episode that the character was still alive. I believe KRAD pointed out "The Most Toys" once with Data. (I'm sorry if I am misremembering).

Who has died?

Tasha Yar. Still dead. Alternate timelines don't count. And if they do, then I guess Quark, Odo, Rom, Nog, Ben Sisko, and Zek have all come back from the dead, since their Mirror Universe counterparts all died. Oh, and Jennifer Sisko, cause she was alive in the mirror universe.

Sarek. Still dead.

James Kirk. Still dead (except in the Shatnerverse).

Jadzia Idaris. Still dead. Dax survived, though. Does that mean Curzon came back from the dead?

Data. Still dead.

Novels:
    Shakaar Edon. Still dead.
    Kathryn Janeway. Still dead (though, admittedly, there hasn't been anything yet set after her death).

And the worst example. Ben Sisko? He never died at all! No one thought he was dead.

This isn't the Marvel Universe people. Stop exaggerating.

End rant.

(Oh, and I wish it were Captain America!)

19. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Well, this is set several years ahead, as Destiny takes place a good four years after Warpath.

(The word several actually means more than two or three but less than many, so by the terms you defined, Destiny's doing just fine, since it's four years ahead. :) )

20. Species7582

Species7582 TrekBBS Lurker Premium Member

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw: