So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Senjus

Senjus Ensign Red Shirt

Currently reading "Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America"

I'm enjoying it a lot more then I thought I would. I like Wilson but sometimes his books fell really depressing. This one is told in a first person narrative in a 19th century style and it just works.

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Reading Prime Directive by the Reeves-Stevens duo. I've found that I really enjoy Star Trek that focuses on the interactions of the ships and their crew with the Starfleet chain of command. That's probably why I loved Articles of the Federation.

4. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Cold Equations: Silent Weapons the other day, and I'm now reading Cold Equations: The Body Electric.

5. vorador33

vorador33 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Finished DS9:Unity yesterday and now I’m about half way through Titan: Orion’s Hounds. Unity was a bit of a disappointment but I’m absolutely loving Orion's Hounds, i can’t put it down.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just started reading Sherlock: The Casebook based on the BBC "Sherlock". Trek wise I'm also about to start Mack's latest trilogy :)

7. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been read excerpts from her books in many different contexts (usually a writing class), but I'm finally reading my first full Anne Lamott book: Traveling Mercies.

8. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, let's see, in the last week I've read Cast No Shadow, the first four Typhon Pact novels, That Which Divides and the latest Dresden Files book, Cold Days.

If I can get to the library tomorrow, I'll pick up Indistinguishable From Magic and put Plagues of Night and Raise the Dawn on reserve. Still got some catching up to do.

9. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

^Cast No Shadow, is a great book and in my top three favorite Trek books of all time. What did you think of it TJ?

10. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Already finished Doctor Who: The Time Travellers. Absolutely loved it, lots of timey-wimey goodness. The only problem I had with it was it could get a bit gory in spots, which I understand is done to be more realistic but always feels out of place in a Hartnell story to me.

Today I'm starting The Force Unleashed, with The Force Unleashed II on deck.

11. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just Finished Persistance of memory and started reading book 2 of the Data miniseries.This was book had a great story and I can't wait to see how Data's story continues in book 2.

12. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I am riveted by The Hunger Games. Starting Mockingjay now.

13. TJ Sinclair

It's unequivocally the best Trek novel I've read in a very, very long time. I don't know if I'd put it in my Top 5, but it's definitely a top 10 contender. A most worthy sequel to The Undiscovered Country, and something that makes Valeris a much more interesting character to me than she was in the film itself. And that little nod to The Ashes of Eden made me really happy, too. :)

It was the first one I'd actually finished since reading A Singular Destiny when it came out. *That* was a really good book,but the next couple I tried to read after that were clunkers (to me). Inception and The Soul Key. Couldn't get past the first couple chapters of either, and it put me off reading Trek for quite a while. I think I tried Unspeakable Truth, too, but by that time I just wasn't in the mood and put it aside. I was behind on Titan and Vanguard and none of the post-Destiny stuff coming out sparked an interest at the time, either.

It was kind of the same reaction I had with the early "TNG relaunch" books. The only one of those I really liked was KRAD's Q & A, and after forcing myself to get through Before Dishonor and then DS9's Fearful Symmetry, I kinda gave up onTrek novels until A Singular Destiny.

So anyway, it'd been what, almost four yearstaking a break from Trek lit. And then, after finishing up the main sequence of The Camulod Chronicles and waiting for the new Dresden Files book to come out, I figured I'd give Cast No Shadow a chance. Really, really glad I did. It was a library book, but I'm definitely going to get my own copy soon and put it on the shelf next to Sarek and The Ashes of Eden (my TUC sequel section had long ago been purged of the god-awful A Fearful Summons). And it gave me enough renewed interest and energy to try the Typhon Pact books and a few other things. I'd say of those initial four, Seize the Fire was the one I enjoyed the most, overall, for many reasons. :)

I'd be reading Vanguard: Open Secrets right now, but my copy is boxed up right now, along with almost all the other books I own. My basement got flooded when Sandy hit, and it'll be another couple of weeks before everything's back together and I can start to unpack. Thank God for libraries. I picked up Indistinguishable From Magic, Plagues of Night, Raise the Dawn and Brinkmanship from the library today, along with Steven King's It. :)

ThinkI should put Children of Kings and/or Troublesome Minds on reserve? Like I said, Inception didn't really do it for me, and honestly, neither did That Which Divides. The latter really had nothing wrong with it, I just wasn't that into the story since "That Which Survives" was never one of my favorite episodes. I normally like TOS books, but I'm kinda wary of them right now.

On Chapter 2 of Indistinguishable right now. So far so good. Oh, and I'm assuming Taurik being a Lieutenant again was just a minor editorial lapse?

14. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

Just finished The Persistence of Memory, and awaiting the following two volumes to arrive from The Book Depository :)

15. Killie

Killie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just posted my review for Diane Carey's Best Destiny which I thoroughly enjoyed. You can find my review here if you are interested.

Currently working through a couple of non Sci Fi books for the moment but have been slowly working through Shatner's Collision Course as well.

16. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I am glad you enjoyed the book and see it as a top ten Trek novel. I could not agree more. Also a big welcome back to Trek lit:D I hope you keep finding the books you enjoy. Here is a link to Sho's list of BBS rated Trek books: http://www.eikehein.com/stuff/trekbbs/review_threads/ It may help you find the best ones.

17. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I'm just diving into a pile of comics after finishing the last part of Mr. Mack's trilogy. Even though i'm not usually a fan of TOS 5YM stories, i'm excited to get DRG3's new TOS book come the end of the month :)

18. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I very much enjoyed Troublesome Minds (review). On the flip side, I was not a fan whatsoever of Children of Kings (review). Of course, as always, your mileage may vary. Troublesome Minds was, to my mind, a surprise hit, while Children of Kings was a complete miss.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

StF, really? What did you like about it so much? Most people on here didn't like it. I tried to read it a few months ago, and lost interest after a couple of chapters. I didn't hate it like a lot of people on here did, but I just found myself losing interest, and since I have a crap load of other unread books I stopped and moved on to other stuff.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  20. TJ Sinclair

Well, it wasn't perfect, certainly, but I really enjoyed the take on the Gorn, their pathological fear of mammals, the potential terraforming tech, and the first contact scenario. In general, I enjoy the Titan's crew. The downside was a lot of the dialogue, but I've had that problem with Trek lit in general for quite a while(and Indistinguishable from Magic is continuing that trend, sadly).

In the case of Seize the Fire, it's more a matter of simply liking it better than the other three initial Typhon Pact books. Zero Sum Game is ultimately the better written book, but I really don't enjoy Bashir, Ezri or Sarina at all, and don't really care about the Breen. Rough Beasts of Empire was like reading two different books, I really enjoyed Spock's story, but couldn't wait to get through the Sisko chapters, and I can't say I'm really keen on the novelverse's interpretation of the Tzenkethi. Just not to my taste. And then Paths of Disharmony, I liked to a degree. I like Shar, and enjoyed certain elements of the book, but overall, it just didn't click for me. So, yeah, Seize the Fire seemed to be the one I got the most out of, that's all.