The Sims 4

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kemaiku, May 7, 2013.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

http://thesims.com/en_US/thesims4

Yup, early 2014 release and Maxis has already reassured the fans that the game will be entirely offline unlike the recent Sim City release.

I played the first game a bit, the second a lot and barely touched the third. Really not sure about another installment, but maybe this one will be significant enough a change from Sims 2 out of the box to be worth picking up.

Anyone else looking forward to it?

2. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I want screenshots.

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It's not out for another year at least, there aren't any yet. But the banners all show Sims with better appearances than the 3rd generatio, assuming they're from the new game.

4. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Well, at least it's off to a good start.

5. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

I won't buy it, I think. I am not happy with EA and am thinking of boycotting them entirely. The game is simply too expensive with the expansions and too boring without them.

6. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I'm with you on that. The expansion scheme is so irritating. Also I've seen your posts in other places on the board and wanted to say hello, and welcome to the forum! :)

7. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

Thanks Kestra! :D

8. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I was obsessed with the first Sims and have spent a fair amount of time on Sims 2 as well, but I never really got into Sims 3. I have all of the expansions that I wanted for Sims 2 and have been satisfied with replaying that one.

There are many different kinds of Sims players, and the problem for me is that the newer games are trending away from my purpose for playing. I enjoy the "boring" day to day stuff that we have to make them do, like eating, going to the bathroom, getting to work on time, studying, etc. I couldn't care less about going out on the town or shopping or visiting neighbors. I want to spend hours and hours meticulously building and decorating a house and creating Sims, and then spend hours and hours meticulously controlling their lives. For instance I would never leave the Free Will box checked, that would defeat the whole purpose of the game to me.

It became clear to me that this was not the typical way to play, and not the direction that the series was going in, when I participated in a focus group for a new Sims game a few years ago (Sims Castaway, I think it ended up being called). We all got to play the new game and then give our feedback in a group setting, and I was clearly the odd man out. I started with, "It's completely ridiculous that they only go to the bathroom once every two days, that's not realistic at all, and why don't they need to eat hardly anything? Too many directed tasks are given, I would prefer to decide on my own everything they do." The rest of the group looked at me like I was crazy and said that was their favorite part of the new game, not having to focus on daily tasks.

And so I think I'll just stick with Sims 2, which is really the perfect game to me.

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I love the Sims 2 and tend to plan out exactly what my Sims will do, but on a larger scale than that, entire family lines, particular Sim purposes etc.

I never got into the Sims 1 but I do have the Deluxe edition sitting around somewhere.

I bought the Sims 3 on launch, played it maybe for 3 weeks, a month at most and just got bored with it very quickly.