a box of rotting garbage, "standalone episode sh*t" and more trivia

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by F. King Daniel, Sep 16, 2013.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: a box of rotting garbage, "standalone episode sh*t" and more trivi

If a tv show angers me to the point I feel like breaking things, I can make it go away with the click of a button. ;)

2. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

He should have just thrown the bust into the trash, problem solved! Didn't Berman notice a trend when the show got better every time the blindfold was on? That should have been a hint.
    Roddenberry's vision was crap and detrimental to the franchise.

3. oddsigve

oddsigve Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Sounds like the world we live in today. Too many agendas and perhaps the downside with the extreme form of individuality we profess today?

4. oddsigve

oddsigve Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Sounds like the world we live in today. Too many agendas and perhaps the downside with the extreme form of individuality we profess today?

5. Mr_Closet

Mr_Closet Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hello. You won't remember me. Last time I was here I didn't stay long, but I thought I'd stick my oar in and mutter something about the show.

I've been watching season 4 recently and have been both pleasantly reminded of just how much I enjoyed it (season 4) the first time, and just how tragic it was that the show should be cut off in its late-blooming prime, and in such a disappointing way (TNG homage).

I think the whole show was a political football from day one, with the first two seasons governed strictly by the Big Hollywood Tick Box Book of Tropes That Sell in which you will find, among other things, that a slinky sewn-up catsuit on a curvy female cast member resting somewhere between items 1 and 5 on the first page.

I also think matters weren't helped by the age of the franchise. Too many vested interests. Compare to the BSG reboot which took place so long after the original show that it was, for all intents and purposes, a completely new project with all new staff, cast, crew and producers, and the freedom to do what they needed to be successful. Had a similar break been possible between the TNG era shows and Enterprise, perhaps a similar outcome would have resulted. (Season 4 as season 1, etc.)

But is the passage of time the only way to achieve such a thing? Could not a sufficient 'break' be achieved by other means? Perhaps by outsourcing Enterprise to another company and creative staff? One in which B&B, and whoever else might be considered to blame for Enterprise's failures, had nothing but an advisory role, at most, with some power of veto to permit them to act as guardians of the overall franchise and, if considered appropriate, Roddenberry's creative legacy.

Essentially, write and produce Enterprise behind a firewall to keep the sticky fingers of the existing vested interests and other 'stakeholders' off it. Could this have worked?

Well, whether or not, it's all 20:20 hindsight. But I do wonder if it might have applicability for the future...

Ugh... I just reminded myself what the future holds, and it's name is Abrams.

Anyone think there's any credibility to the suggestion, which is apparently accredited to Jolene Blalock, that part of the reason for Enterprise's cancellation was to facilitate the creation of the Abramsverse?

Okay, time to climb back into my closet.

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No. Enterprise was canceled in 2005, the 09 movie didn't start production until 2007.

I think that perhaps the split between CBS/Paramount over the rights -might- have contributed to it some, but Enterprise's worst problem was that no one was watching it. If they were getting the ratings, I promise that hurdle would've been cleared.

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

ENT and VOY as individual series would have been better served if Paramount had stayed with the syndication route, rather than suddenly deciding to use them as linchpins for a new network that had little else of value. Both shows suffered from studio and network interference, just like TOS.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I do recall reading somewhere that the decision was made at the end of season 2 to axe Enterprise once they reached the syndication limit of about 100 episodes and reboot as a movie series, but IDK how truthful it was. Nor do I recall where I read it.

9. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

10. Yanks

It would have been so great had they made a mini series about the Romulan War.

11. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

12. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

As someone who has all of the first three Trek shows on DVD, I'd say the blus are worth an upgrade not just for the picture but for the features. TNG's has so far been great. Haven't seen ENT's, cause I'm not all that crazy for the first two seasons, but I know the features are done by the same guys who did TNG so it should be very illuminating. Kinda wish I had them.

13. Yanks

Think I'll wait for the price to come down a bit :)

I really want to see the extras as this was the first time the whole gang got together since the filming of TATV.

14. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

No enlightened human being would so disgrace his dignity by allowing a bomb to blow his legs off.
    Kinda creepy.
    When TNG started, the field was wide open to be exploited. During DS9's run, first-run syndication was a crowded market, and new networks were making the market smaller and smaller. By the time ENT came around, first-run syndication wasn't viable anymore.