When did voyager go wrong?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by WesleysDisciple, Mar 27, 2013.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The flaw with that is.... you can't take someone seriously if they're strutting around semi clothed or naked. Take Seven of Nine. Intriguing character with a compelling backstory and character arc... but since she's in a skin-tight catsuit... it's hard to take her seriously. She's just a whip away from being a dominatrix.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I take 7 very seriously, she is my favorite Trek character.

And let me promise you that if O'Brien and Bashir were playing their wargames in the holosuite shirtless instead of layered in mounds of woolies I would take them seriously too. I do get the catsuit criticism, I've just applied logical Trek based apologetics to get around it. But no I wouldn't want everyone prancing around like that or shirtless while on duty, I just want them to take off their shirts when off duty! Sex it up man! Like Archer and Trip playing volleyball in the desert!

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Seven didn't need a whip. She had those tubules that popped out of her hand. Apparently even after Doc's reconstructive surgery.

4. R. Star

Well there we have it! Let's hear it for Mistress of Nine! :p

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I admit, I was 16 when "Scorpion II" first aired, and I had an immediate crush on Jeri Ryan.

The "teenaged fan-boys" that the purists like to complain about, I was one of them.

6. teacake

And you're still here on a star trek board.

Guess it worked! :lol:

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mistress of 8.

It's redundant to say she's a selfmistress.

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yup. I'm a total sheep, or whatever.

To be fair, I'm always one of the first people to defend her acting ability rather than commenting on her looks.

So I have evolved. A little.

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Same, and I was 46 then. What made the character work is how Ryan underplayed the sensuality while everyone else was having heart palpitations.

10. teacake

People act like 7 was vamping it up all over the ship. She cannot help having big breasts and blonde hair and long legs. This is just how God, the Borg and the EMH made her.

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Jeri Ryan actually has an average (for Hollywood) build, but her padded bras did wonders for Seven.

12. R. Star

Okay, I can get that's how she is. I can even get the perv subroutine in the EMH to give her a catsuit. But why wouldn't Seven, when she realizes how everyone is gawking at her, not replicate something more modest in the name of efficiency? Harry can't even stare at her without wetting his uniform and Seven did call him on this more than once. Heck if a bunch of former Maquis terrorists get Starfleet uniforms with provisional rank, why not Seven?

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

She was an infantalized virgin.

No one was going to make a move on her no matter what she looked like, especially after Neelix and his childbride.

14. teacake

Why should she? They should adapt. She has enough to adapt to without giving up her comfort suits that keep her feeling safe and contained like when she was in Borg gear.

15. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Amazing... its been decades since this song first came out, and we are still shaming based on dress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOefY-wjA7U

Maybe someone needs to do a version with Seven and Naomi.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOefY-wjA7U[/yt]

16. R. Star

So they should adapt but she shouldn't? That one cuts both ways. Adapt and wear a starfleet uniform! Heck, I actually would've prefered she remained half Borgified like she was in the Gift for awhile. Then she could gradually lose this part or that as a visual reminder of her journey towards humanity.

17. teacake

Of course I would prefer her in a starfleet uniform but for whatever reasons she isn't given one. What she is given is obviously acceptable ship wear since we see plenty of other Star Trek women dressed similarly. Kes wore skin tight stuff and no one complained. Why should it be fine for Kes and not fine for 7? Because 7 is hotter? Nope, doesn't fly.

18. R. Star

Probably because it's more obvious. Kes was only in her catsuit a few episodes. And really, I think that was a poor move for her too and I'm glad that didn't become full time even by virtue of her leaving alone. Voyager was obviously trying to sex things up to get viewers one way or another.

19. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Even Crusher and Troi got "catsuits" for uniforms in Nemesis

[​IMG]

20. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The sexy sci-fi babe in the weird outfit has been a staple of the genre for decades, anyways.