Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

The gifts came after the colony rescue was complete.

2. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So he was corrupted by the power anyway and wound up doing nothing positive as a result of not saving the little girl.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I think people are probably taking this episode MUCH more seriously that it really deserves to be.

4. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

Weren't there hundreds of people that died on that colony? I'm more concerned that no-one on the Enterprise or this forum gives a rat's ass about their deaths.

5. bullethead

Were there? I haven't seen the episode in years and since I'm holding off for the fixed TNG-R sets, I don't have it available. But yeah, if there were a lot of fatalities, they should've let Riker bring them back, healed (including the girl).

6. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's quite simply, one child no real big deal, what about death across the span of the 13 billions of years of the universe creation. Whats the difference between the one child and any other being who has ever died.

Just on Earth how many tens of billions would that bring back? And whats the harm, well its very well, even the Federation couldn't house the entirety of all of creation, let alone just all the beings who had died on their own worlds.

Its exceedingly simple.

7. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

9. Ghostface1701

There were only nine survivors out of 504 colonists, but all anyone cares about is the death of the white girl.

10. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Q's power is significantly more than any of that, any of anything, ever. What's the worst that could happen? Riker could end up like Q. The horror!

11. BillJ

Or that he ends up like Gary Mitchell or Roger Corby or any of the other numerous Trek nut jobs who try to enforce their will on others...

12. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

You give my a psychological test that proves having god like powers means that you will automatically make everyone bow to your will and I will back up your claim. But as it stands, I fail to see how having god like powers automatically makes you an a**hole.

13. BillJ

Well since pretty much everyone in Trek with Godlike powers are assholes, I'd say in universe it's pretty safe to say that Riker would become an asshole. As a matter of fact, we see him headed that way towards the end of the episode.

In real life, I know those that have more never think they are superior and know best for those that have less.

14. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Pretty sure the girl in this ep is Asian.

15. BillJ

That's what it looked like to me.

16. bullethead

Wow, the crew didn't give any fucks about those people if they just focused on the little girl.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Man, The Big Goodbye sure seems a whole lot sillier now than it used to. You've got Picard acting like a giddy schoolgirl for the entire episode, as if he's never seen a hologram before in his life. In fact when he goes back he even takes along the ship's historian, as if it's some kind of real mission or something.

Once the Holodeck malfunctions, Riker and Geordi act as if the crew are trapped in another dimension or something, and not just within the small room next door (What, with all that advanced 24th century technology, they don't have something that can pry open a couple of Holodeck doors??)

And later Picard and Data spend an inordinant amount of time trying to reason and explain the outside world.... to a bunch of holographic characters. Even though they have no reason to believe they've achieved any kind of sentience (and it seems to go far beyond just a diversionary tactic too).

The episode certainly looks better than ever though, and there are a lot of fun moments throughout. I especially love Data's putdown of Picard ("Only a knockoff, a cheap imitation..."), and Beverly wanting to get in on all the fun interrogation action. :D

18. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Just watched "Symbiosis".

This has got to be one of Picard's biggest blunders. The exchange he has at the end where he states that the Ornarans will go through a tough period of withdraw is just so wrong. Picard doesn't consider what a planet wide drug shortage will do to a civilization, especially one where every person is addicted to the drug. Picard talks like the civilization is like a person who will experience withdraw and eventually overcome it. This isn't a person though. This is an entire planet full of people addicted to a substance that they'll readily die for. There isn't going to be a moment where the planet will one day lose their supply and everyone will just go through the withdraw process. There's going to be planet wide CHAOS. And what's worse? Picard willfully doesn't give the the Ornarans the coils so this drug shortage will happen.

I just can't believe how Picard, or anyone for that matter, didn't contemplate that this decision may have just turned the Ornaran's entire planet into a war zone.

Crusher: "I just hope it was the right one."
    Picard: "And we may never know."

I just love it when Captains make that conclusion about the Prime Derective. We may never know, so let's pick the worst possible solution.

19. Ghostface1701

Ah, yes, my bad. I went back and rewatched the scene, but missed that brief shot of her face. It doesn't make too much of a difference though, as my issue is that the writers think we can only feel sad and conflicted about Riker's dilemma if we focus on the pretty little (light-skinned) girl. See also Missing White Woman Syndrome.

Moving on, I watched Heart of Glory yesterday, and while I enjoyed it, I'm really starting to see why Denise Crosby was unhappy. In this episode more than any I've seen so far, she had so little to do and barely spoke at all. At this stage in the show, Worf was still little more than a recurring guest star, but he got his own episode before Yar did. I have to assume though that she'd made her decision to leave by this point anyway.

Excluding Yar, this season has given each of the main cast their moment in the spotlight. I was quite surprised that even Troi has a valuable function, before being relegated to saying "Something's wrong" or not knowing what a warp core breach was in later seasons.

Geordi-Vision is interesting, and I see now why he's always suffered from headaches. If I were him though, I might point out that each member of the Away Team has scanning equipment, and his job isn't to be a walking Tricorder! Maybe that's why he hid away in Engineering from Season 2!

20. Ghostface1701

Also, I have a new favourite actress in TNG. It's this extra from Coming of Age:

[​IMG]

I need a time machine, stat.