Arrow - Season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Oct 7, 2013.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ooops, I was posting from my tablet, and was having issues. Fixed.

2. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm, same power as Triplicate Girl. Now THAT was a source of continuous erotic fantasy during my youth.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was so sad when one of them got killed, and then the universe rebooted and she died back to Duo Damsel AGAIN!

4. LaxScrutiny

New Episode!!!

"Birds of Prey"
    This ep has been hyped all week, an extra preview is on Stephen Amell's Facebook page.

Looks to be action packed. Hope to see some solid Roy action.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I feel like commenting on little things that bother me.
    First one from awhile ago, but it's relevant here. Frank Bertinelli is terribly cast as a mob boss. The actress for Helena is great, but the father sucks.
    Second, you don't just "fix" a disciplinary complaint by "knowing a guy" (that being said, I didn't think she should get disbarred for a single DUI).
    Third, she's ready for a RICO case in less than a week? She some kind of super lawyer?

All that aside, Felicity's "I think you should kick her ass" line was great.

ETA: I take back the last one.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

- They pulled the old "stay away from her" cliché. I hate when they do that. When someone like Roy is having problems, they need all the support they can get. Staying away isn't the solution.

- I thought we were going to get a preview of Laurel as a vigilante by means of her saving the day but no such luck. Guess that'll have to wait.

- I was half expecting Batgirl to show up. They totally wasted the title "Birds of Prey" on this episode when they could have waited until season 5 when Babs really does make an appearance.

- Jessica De Goo's acting seems to have improved. I thought she did a poor job when we first saw her last season.

7. LaxScrutiny

Well, as it turned out the assistant DA was just playing her, and there was probably no "guy."

Laurel didn't just have leverage going to the press at the end, she had grounds for a multi-million dollar lawsuit, in as much as she was put in the direct line of fire purposely, unknowingly, and through being deceived. The conversation with the DA at the end was brief; in my mind there was a lot unsaid that backed her up.

As far as being ready for the case, most of the work would be already done. She should have seen through why they wanted her back, or at least been suspicious, but she was victim of her own wishful thinking.

I liked Felicity's line, but what I liked better was the little nod Diggle gave right after, that was cuter than kittens.

I loved how all sides were playing each other tonight, the twisted plot was as good and fast paced as the action.

I'm getting anxiety about Roy, they have to help him. Something that would cure or reduce the effect of Mirakuru. That would help against Slade too. Mostly though I like Roy and he doesn't deserve the hand he was dealt.

ETA: I have to watch it all again, but at the end was Huntress implying that she should have been the one killed? Or that she should have been the one to kill her father? The story has a little more power if she was actually trying to do a suicide run and have her dad live with the fact she was killed trying to get to him. Not sure if that's true though.

8. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Sigh, any appearance of axe-crazy Huntress just gets a meh from me.

Roy and Thea's story was incredibly cliched, and annoyingly misguided.

This is the weakest episode in a while after a string of winners.

9. Alidar Jarok

I took it back because it makes more sense that she was bait and never intended to be the trial attorney. That being said, trial lawyers need to be intimately familiar with the case in order to be able to think on the fly to ask the right question. I do agree that her wishful thinking allowed her to be better at it (although I'm not sure it actually makes sense to need bait in that context, Helena is coming no matter what).

I think she said it should have been her who killed him. It did make the whole thing seem futile. Although I didn't catch who shot him. The cop?

10. LaxScrutiny

Yes, just rewatched that part. "It was supposed to be me. It was supposed to be me who killed him."

Yes, the senior SWAT guy shot him.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Felicity's line about secret identities was pretty good too.

12. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Come on. What's an open bottle of whiskey doing in a courthouse office anyway?

This was actually a fast-paced and intense episode that got my full attention. Finally, Laurel had a bigger role to play other than get drunk and act all bitchy. She was pretty useful, although she was used by Donner as part of his plot to try to capture Helena Bertinelli. Huntress reminded me of the Catwoman persona from the 1960s Batman series. Maybe it was her outfit.

Roy is unstable, so I don't blame Ollie for wanting him to stay away from Thea. So there are seven people who know of Ollie's alter ego, five of them as allies. I don't know why they couldn't just let Detective Lance be part of his inner circle. It would make things less complicated.

13. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

^I count more than seven. As far as allies you have Diggle, Felicity, Roy and Sarah. Then there's Barry, Amanda Waller, and pretty much all of A.R.G.U.S. considering how openly she named him in the briefing to Diggle. For adversaries we have Slade, Helena, and Merlyn. I can"t remember for sure, but doesn't Deadshot know, as well?

14. Alidar Jarok

Don't think Deadshot does unless he was at that meeting.

15. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Oliver's phone ringing when Lance called the Arrow and Dig's nod after Felicity's "kick her ass" were both great.

I get what they're doing with the voice-changers but it's silly. Just admit we all have to suspend disbelief and get on with it.

16. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Now do we think it was deliberate or the SWAT guy so wanted to take out the vigilantes that he went into spray n pray mode and Bertoneli was caught in the crossfire?

17. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

You're right. I forgot Merlyn and Amanda Waller. But I would put Barry Allen in the ally category, although he's not really a part of Ollie's team.

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

No, Barry's a fan. And as we've learned from tv/movies, fans are dangerous.

19. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

They must be playing Lance's ignorance for laughs now because it's getting ridiculous now.

I didn't think the voice modulator sounded as good on Sara as it does on Ollie.

I liked that Laurel had more to do this episode.

I like the bit early on when the SWAT team guy was talking about "freaks in masks" and the spotlight lingered on Ollie.

I thought the episode was a bit overhyped for what it is.

Poor Thea :(.

I get why Ollie wants Roy to stay away from Thea for her safety, but it's going to backfire badly. Although I did love the line "Everytime I see a glass of water I have an urge to slap it."

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you sure that you understand?

There's a 2 percent chance that Roy is going to spin out over nothing and defenestrate her.

There is however a 90 percent change that she won't be able to walk again the first time after they have sex, unless he just lays there.

(Why I am assuming that they have a simple PG13 relationship, and that this issue isn't in the rear view on the horizon?)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014