Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Re: TOS Enterprise Interiors -- Unreal 3 Engine

More cucoloris effect shots. I'm really glad I've found out how to do this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for those interested, here is the image I'm using for the effect, which is a modified image of an actual cucoloris "cookie".
    [​IMG]

ian128K likes this.
  2. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

There is nothing about this that isn't cool.

I think it's looking real and lived in. And I'm just about speechless.

3. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

^^ I wholeheartedly concur. And thanks for that pic from "Spock's Brain" revealing a container with green (Vulcan) blood. Yeah sure, it was just a TV show and the producers didn't care about internal continuity. :rofl:

Donny, I'm just feeling uneasy about the wall right behind the nurse desk (opposite the exam table).
    If one believes that the Season One set was redesigned into the Season Two set, it's probably the correct approach.

However, this screencap from "The Deadly Years" (and the subsequent ones) suggests that there should be more space, IMHO. ;)

Another thing is how to handle best the unseen areas which I believe contain a wealth of "discovery potential", i.e. should that (unseen) back wall remain blank or instead be covered with medical equipment drawers?

Here is one inspiration / suggestion from TAS which looks like such aforementioned medical wall cabinet. If these drawers (or whatever) were yellow, I'd think these would be perfectly TOS style compliant, because we had a similar wall cabinet in "The Doomsday Machine" in the engine room where Scotty took the "trident engineering tool" (Greg, is that the correct term?) and then left the room to fix the Constellation's impulse engines.

Bob

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  4. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Officially called a "Ray Generator" in the script for "Metamorphosis" for which the prop was built. It was re-dubbed a "Trident Scanner" in "Trials and Tribble-actions" when no one bothered to research what the thing was originally called. More info over in this old post:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=2577132&postcount=61

5. Robert Comsol

Great article, Greg, but shouldn't there be be a distinction between "Ray Generator" or "Energy Neutralizer"?!
    Does the script of "The Doomsday Machine" also refer to it as "Ray Generator" (apparently Scotty is doing the same kind of work as Spock in "Metamorphosis", i.e. repairing the impulse drive)

Do you know who constructed the prop? (apparently not Mr. Spock :rolleyes:). Of course, I wouldn't mind "Jefferies Trident" but only if he actually did design the prop (credit where credit is due).

Bob

P.S.
    So that's what you are doing at work, scaring patients with tridents?! :D

6. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I find the practice of calling everything a "Jefferies ____" or a "Fienberg ____" to be tiresome. Some more plausible technically descriptive names would be better than naming every little gizmo and doodad after the fellows behind the scenes how cooked this stuff up.

And it's a peculiarly TOS preactice, for some reason. You never hear of the "Sternbach Compensator" or the "Drexler Handle" or the "Probert Device." (well, okay, I'll give you "Okudagram" but no one seems to use the phrase as in-universe technical jargon.)

YMMV

--Alex

7. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the lighting effects, but personally I could do without the film grain. It looks too artificial to me.

8. Donny

That wall, for now, can be considered a WIP. The deciding factor on the exact placement will be determined when I get the two adjoining rooms constructed, leaving room for interpretation especially regarding the odd angle of the third bed in the intensive care ward (from Journey to Babel, Tholian Web, et al). The back wall of this bed may very well jut into the examination room at the point where I have the exam room wall in question placed now. (This wall, if left in place, will potentially hide such an intrusion.)

We will just have to see when I get there sometime in the next few days.

I was also planning on adding some sort of decoration, whether it be a GNDN to the wall once it's final placement is determined.

The image grain looks better in-game, IMO. However, I will include an option to disable/enable the effect when it's time for release.

9. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I personally like the image grain - adds a very organic feel to an otherwise antiseptic (though beautiful) environment. My only concern would be the potential performance hit it would take to paint the grains during render time.

10. Donny

It really isn't very expensive performance-wise. The image grain is simply a transparent texture than pans and rotates (to give the illusion of the grain moving as it would on a screen), scaled up or down depending on the screen resolution, and rendered over the scene. A very cheap post-process effect. If you ever play Batman: Arkham City (which uses the same game engine) on PC, you will see the image grain effect is there as well, and you probably didn't even notice it was there in the first place.

11. Donny

Finished up this seldom-seen control panel today. (Forgive the poor aliasing of the shadows, this was a low quality lighting compile).
    [​IMG]

12. Robert Comsol

That answers my question, thanks. Of course, if things go south (corner in exam room too cramped), you could always go for the straight wall with the third bed from "Return to Tomorrow". ;)

Come to think about it we may look at a production "oddity" where they shifted the wall according to which room they wanted to shoot. Shoot the exam room with table, move the swing wall into the bedroom - shoot the bedroom with he third bed, swing it into the exam room. :eek:

Wouldn't a GNDN look odd inside a room, if you are thinking of the corridor panels? I don't recall a precedence where a corridor GNDN made an appearance inside a room.

Which reminds me, that we still owe an answer. If I recall correctly and from The Making of Star Trek it was an inside-production acronym for "Goes Nowhere, Does Nothing".

For the DS9 time travel episode they featured GNDN as an inside joke and tribute to TOS (Greg provided the link with the picture of the erroneous "trident scanner" over the GNDN wall pipe) and during my Defiant studies from "In A Mirror, Darkly" I also spotted one in the horizontal Jefferies Tube (I promise, I didn't look for it :rolleyes:).

Which reminds me: In real life there is an (international?) color coding scheme what's running through a pipe. I hadn't dared yet to test if it works with the GNDN pipes aboard the ship.

@ Albertese

You got a point. If everyone knows for example what I mean when I refer to "trident engineering tool" there's no need to use fancy names and instead save these for more critical candidates.

Bob

13. Donny

I just realized the above sentence I wrote is incomplete (I must've gotten distracted by something else mid-sentence!)

It should say, "I was also planning on adding some sort of decoration to the wall, whether it be a GNDN or a storage compartment, once it's final placement is determined.

Ha. So yeah, I didn't necessarily mean for sure that it would be a GNDN.

However, there are plenty of GNDNs found in engineering, the sickbay med lab, auxiliary control room, etc. Your statement that they aren't found inside rooms seems incorrect.

Wait a minute. What's your definition of a GNDN? I use it to refer to any kind of wall plant-on, etc, that had no real function on the show, but served some unknown function in-universe.

14. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great work as always. One thing, the medical monitor over the bed looks to be too short to me. I think it needs to be taller.

15. Donny

I just so happened to fix that earlier today ;) Thanks for looking out!

16. Robert Comsol

Belay my comment, it was incorrect. For some reason I had the huge corridor panels of mind, but of course there are plenty of the smaller ones and feek61 did an excellent job at tosgraphics.com of compiling these. If I'm not mistaken he compiled these for the corridors but I wouldn't be surprised if he'd eventually do a compilation which parts of the rooms these showed up, too.

Bob

17. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I'm sure you're asking Robert Comsol, but I think your definition matches mine, anyway. After all, the acronym means "Goes Nowhere, Does Nothing" so your take on it feels connected to that.

--Alex

18. umichigan

umichigan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Not sure how this has progressed since this post, however, I earn my living doing computer-aided design and have a pretty thorough understanding of the mathematics behind those organic shapes. If you like I can provide a very easy to understand tutorial that reveals the concept of tangency continuity, which is the mathematical requirement that is necessary to achieve a proper reflectivity on a shaded surface. Let me know if you're interested.
    BTW, I really hope you'll be able to provide a walkthrough-capable version of your Enterprise someday. This stuff is way cool.

19. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

We see the back wall in Lights of Zetar. Kirk and Co. come in from a small hallway that doesn't seem like a main corridor but must be connected to one and cross the room to sit at the desk.
    This is what I ended up with from that scene:
    http://www.timpalgut.com/sickbay_zetar.jpg

20. Donny

It would appear that from the pic you posted, Kirk and Co. are entering the examination room from McCoy's office.