Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Ah that's right. I forgot. He was riding high after defeating the Skull Queen as well.

2. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got, but haven't read Annihilators: Earthfall #4 today. I did open it to check to see if it had a hint of more Abnett and Lanning cosmic stuff, but alas, as I feared, it only mentioned to check out Marvel: Point One.

I was really hoping for more DnA cosmic Marvel. I did not read Marvel: Point One, but I did see that there was mostly negative reviews of it on the 'net.

3. Admiral_Young

Point One had negative reviews but it served it's purpose as a 2012 primer. I think the biggest thing people had a problem with was the price. I'm looking forward to the return of Nova who is supposed to be a major figure in the upcoming Avengers Vs X-Men. Since he's kind of warning about the return of Phoenix.

4. shivkala

But is it the 616-Richard Rider or another Nova? And if it is 626-Nova, then where is Starlord?

5. Admiral_Young

It's Richard Rider. Star-Lord's status is unknown to me. Last time I saw him was in the Annilation Wave story. In Point One Richard was shown fighting someone (I've forgotten who now) only to abandon the fight and the planet when the Phoenix appeared in all it's white glory. The last panel of his preview story was of Nova warping away to warn everyone that the Phoenix is returning. Marvel has since stated as I said that he'll be playing a major role in Avengers Vs X-Men and the prelude. We don't know what yet though.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That's the original Nova who "died" in the Cancerverse? I thought it was one of the random Nova Corps guys?

7. Admiral_Young

^Yeah I was concerned if it was Richard as well or just another Nova Corps member but I am pretty sure that someone from Marvel confirmed it was Rider.

8. shivkala

If you haven't read the DnA Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy series, I highly, highly recommend them if you enjoyed Annihilation. Start with Nova TPB Vol. 1, then Annihilation Conquest (both TPBs) and the second Nova TPB. From there, you can just about read them both separately. Both series ended in time for The Thanos Imperative, which I also highly recommend.

It was at the end of that storyline that Nova and Starlord were trapped in a quickly dying universe holding Thanos at bay. Thanos got better since Annihilation, by the way. The series ends with both of them seemingly lost forever.

I've never been much of a Marvel fan, but I loved Marvel Cosmic from Annihilation through Annihilators: Earthfall due to Giffen, Abnett, and Lanning. Jeph Loeb is hit or miss with me and I fear his Marvel cosmic work will be more of a miss.

I also got Daredevil #7 yesterday, which I loved. Mark Waid tells some really great "done in one" stories that add to an overall arc.

9. Admiral_Young

10. Admiral_Young

Well, after a great start, I didn't like the second issue of Defenders. The most interesting thing to me is what Stephen whispered to Betty. It must have been something either serious or really bad for her to react the way she did to him.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm basically looking at Defenders for the art... don't care for the characters or the storyline. Fearless is a much more interesting Fear Itself aftermath story.

12. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

UXM was good.

Don't bother with UXF. It's just advertising for an AoA mini. Definitely a waste of money.

And Avengers X-Sanction can be best described in three words. Loeb. Cancer. Son.

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Defenders #2 - I didn't mind this issue as much as a few seem to have. I wouldn't put it up for an Eisner Award but it was fun. I'm a bit unclear on who the villain is though and how he was able to capture Surfer. Arguably the most powerful of the group. I'm curious like others what Strange said to Red She Hulk but I'm unclear on why she needed prodding to turn into Betty? As recently as Hulk #2 she 'hulked' out at will and has before. I've also never seen Rand do anything of the mystical sense like expelling a bullet out of him. Are they stretching his connection to that type realm beyond just channeling his Chi to make the "iron fist"?

Punisher #7 - Still liking what Rucka has going here. We get the aftermath of the events in issue 6 which actually ended with Punisher and Alves(the Bride) in a face off situation. I'm guessing we'll revist that next issue since the crime scene had the closing statement "He wasn't alone". Detective Ozzy also is shown to have a real disdain for the Punisher. During the story we get a flashback giving us insight into why. The flashback is a Punisher vs Daredevil fight about bringing a criminal to justice. Ozzy also outs Bolt, our younger detective newly promoted, as a Punisher sympathizer and calls him out for slipping Frank intel. To which he demands that it stop...NOW. Outside of the flashback there is no appearance by The Punisher himself. The story read like script pages from a procedual show, a well done one. I was very impressed still with Rucka's run thus far. OH, and at the end Ozzy shows a knife from the crime scene during the flashback, one he has been opening/closing all issue long to the annoyance of Bolt. The issue closes on the knife and it has a Punisher logo etched/painted onto the blade. I have to wonder if this is a slight nod to the '89 Lundgren film. :techman:

Also, I'm taking a break from Thunderbolts after 20 or so issues. The time travel was over and I'd been reading for Man-Thing then Satana but both seem gone now.

14. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i liked Defenders #2. i'm glad they didn't totally forget that the Defenders met Prester John way back during the Defenders VS Avengers crossover...which also involved the Evil Eye.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I loved the first year of the Thunderbolts when they had Crossbones and Juggernaut, but ever since Fear Itself it's been pretty lame. It stars a bunch of people I don't know or care about, and the time travel is getting really, really old.

16. Captain Craig

I came in at issue 146 when Man-Thing joined the team coming out of the, I think, Initiative storyline. I agree I enjoyed Juggy and Crossbones etc that were part of that team along with Ghost. After Juggy dropped off along with Crossbones I still had Man-Thing, my main reason to pick the book up. However, he was also a casulty of Fear Itself. Cage brought in Satana which was a plus cause I like the horror/monster side of Marvel's lineup. When the time travel started it was stated Man-Thing was having to undergo a massive regeneration and was left in the present as the time travel issues began. Cool, Satana was still there. The last two issues though no Man-Thing and Satana had only a few panels. If they are back to the present as the Luke Cage spotlight seems this issue(167?) I hope to get word on Manny's situation. I'll flip through it on the shelf or see it Marvel editorial just drops the ball on his regeneration post-Feat Itself.

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

18. Admiral_Young

This could be interesting...haven't really been into Cap in a year or so.

19. Captain Craig

I know a great name. How about Marvel Teamup? Nah, no one would ever use that in a title. ;)

20. Admiral_Young

Yeah. For some reason they don't want to bring that title back...it's funny. We now have two team up books. Avenging Spider-Man and now this.