Follow up for 'The 37's'

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Terran, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Terran

Terran Ensign Red Shirt

Does anyone else think it would have been nice to have a novel which explores the Federation making contact with the planet from Voyager's episode 'the 37's' after Voyager returns home?

Would be nice to explore the history with the Briori, and for the Federation to have a presence deep within the Delta Quadrant.

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hopefully that will eventually happen in the Full Circle series.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

It would be bizarre if they didn't. It's a ready made base of operations in the quadrant and reasonably easily reachable by slipstream...

4. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been wondering about them too.

5. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I've always wondered what happened to that back-firing truck that made Tuvok almost vaporize the shuttle bay door!

6. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And are the Briori still out there? Sure the "37's" took care of the ones on that planet but where are they from? And what about the race that took the human slaves from that western town on ENT?

7. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Those who took the Wild Westerners were the Skagarans, not the Briori.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^E-DUB wasn't saying they were the same race, just curious to know more about them as well as about the Briori.

9. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I missread. Sorry, E-DUB!

As far as I know, the Briori are still a blank slate in ST media. We know more about the Skagarans, e.g. what they look like and that the Federation has contact to them in the 23rd century.

10. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually it probably should have been the same group from the beginning. For some reason I find it easier to believe that one group would raid Earth for slaves twice rather than two groups doing it once.

(Anybody want to work the lost colony at Jamestown into the mix?)

And Markonian, what do you mean about contact with the Skagarans in the 23dr century? Did I miss something?

11. Christopher

Except that they were from opposite ends of the galaxy. Although I guess that's just as much a problem if they both came to Earth. Then again, Earth seems to attract a lot of cosmic attention.

Please, no. There's no mystery there. The early English settlers were chosen more for political reasons than for their survival skills, and knew practically nothing about farming, so a lot of the early colonies suffered from famine and only survived with abundant help from the indigenous peoples. Some settlements, like Roanoke (which must be what you're thinking of, since Jamestown wasn't "lost"), didn't survive at all, and the colonists had to abandon their settlements and get adopted into the indigenous communities, where they interbred with the natives, producing descendants who identified themselves as indigenous American rather than English.

Memory Beta says there's a Star Trek Online mission set in 2265 wherein Scotty mentions Skagaran whiskey. That may be what he's thinking of.

12. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

In the Star Trek universe, the lost early English colony was Jamestown, as established by New Worlds, New Civilizations.

13. Terran

Terran Ensign Red Shirt

I'm sure they are still around. In the episode IIRC the humans who are shooting at Tuvok and his security team are surprised to find most of the crew are human not Briori, which surely suggests they are still around?

14. Christopher

I found the reference in NW,NC, and the article writer just makes a passing mention of the name "Jamestown" surfacing in his memory as an "ancient" lost colony. There's no mention of the writer following up on the recollection and verifying its accuracy. So it's not evidence of the history of the Trek universe, it's just evidence of the article writer's subjective impressions. Real journalists and historians make mistakes all the time, which is why one of the first things I learned when pursuing a history major was that every source needs to be read critically and questioned. Surely fictional journalists are just as capable of error.

15. Stevil2001

Surely the Federation News Service employs fact-checkers? (In fact, fact-checking should be trivially easy with the level of AI we see in the Federation.) "Jamestown" is in the title of the article!

16. Christopher

I'm sure Pocket Books employs fact-checkers too, but they didn't catch the mistake in real life.

And fact-checking is trivially easy today with Google, but there are still ridiculous factual errors all over the news. Fact-checkers are as fallible as anyone else. There's no such thing as a text that doesn't contain errors, which is why you never treat any uncorroborated text as absolute truth. Especially when it's not even a text about the subject in question, but just one that makes a passing metaphorical reference to it.

Errors are a fact of life. It makes a fictional world more realistic if we allow the people in it to be fallible, rather than insisting that every last word they ever utter is absolute revealed truth.

17. Stevil2001

Yes, but Pocket can't feed its text into an AI that can search Space Wikipedia. I assume FNS can, and did.

Also I've never heard of the idea that texts are fallible, so it's a good thing you got that History B.A. and can tell me about it.

18. Christopher

^All I'm saying is, it's a mistake in real life, so there's no reason it can't be a mistake in fiction as well. Yes, they have search engines, but we have search engines today, yet you still see egregious errors in the news all the time. Hell, sometimes Google results in more errors showing up on the news because there's so much bad information out there along with the good information. Search engines are only as good as their wielders.

So I'm sorry, but I'm not going to assume American history unfolded differently in the Trek universe just because of a passing reference in an art book from a decade and a half ago.

19. Darth Duck

Darth Duck Commodore Commodore

I remember this mistake driving me nuts reading the book the first time.

20. Stevil2001

I bet you don't believe the Eiffel Tower seen in The Undiscovered Country was the second one to be built, either.