Mars Curiosity Rover... to land 10:31 pm 8/5/2012

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by JanewayRulz!, Jul 16, 2012.

1. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

2. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, I nearly forgot about the Phoenix one. Amazing stuff. In the Curiosity one though you can see much more detail (assuming that the parachute details in the dark one are post-processing filters, and not retouching). It's uncanny.

Not that those two aren't any less hair-rising when you think what's on them and where they are shot.

3. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Curiosity's chute is twice the size of Phoenix's chute. That's why you can see more detail. Though the parachute lines are visible on Phoenix but not Curiosity.

4. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

A video would have been awesome, even if it took a month to download.

5. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some day. Maybe for Europa!

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Curiosity sends back its first color image:

Resized image;

[​IMG]

It's blurry because a lenscap is still on the camera that has yet to be removed.

7. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

As I said in the misc thread, that looks like Ceti Alpha V.

8. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

THIS IS CETI ALPHA V!

9. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

^ :lol:

In a few days the Rover will either send back images of two suspicious looking men in spacesuits approaching a cargo container or a man who looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger, gasping for breath with his eyeballs bulging from their sockets.

10. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

That's one thing that got me with the cheering in mission control on this one. Usually the NASA image is the cool and calm "steely-eyed missile man" reaction to a success. I can't help but think that after seeing how much good press the SpaceX control room got from it's cheering video back in June that someone in NASA put a memo out saying "OK guys, dress casual and CHEER if it goes well".

12. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm ... that's funny, Sojourner, I seem to recall quite a bit of cheering in Mission Control for the Apollo missions and Viking landings. But that might be a botched recollection on my part. I definitely don't remember any conga lines like these guys were practically doing before the 2:30 am press conference, though!

But, to be fair, it was 2:30 a.m. and I bet half of them had been thinking two hours earlier, "This'll never work!"

13. Trekker4747

I remember quite the cheering when Sojourner landed as well. With it it was a unique craft they were landing on Mars with a even more unique method (drop it and hope these airbags prevent things from breaking.) With Spirit and Opportunity there was some measure of assurance things would work as there wasn't anything too unique or risky about what they were trying after success of Sojourner.

Here with Curiosity... Well, given how complicated the "landing" process was with everything needing to work and needing to pretty much work perfectly, yeah, it was quite the accomplishment when everything worked perfectly.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  14. YellowSubmarine

Yeah, it's very uncharacteristic of them. I think they were trying to imitate these guys, though.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Am I the only one hoping a giant humanish shadow picks up Curiosity and crushes it, while it records the whole thing on camera? Is that too Michael Bayish? :rommie:

16. YellowSubmarine

It could be cool, but since it probably wouldn't be able to transmit the images back after it has been destroyed, all we'll get is a mysterious lost signal with no explanation.

Which means there will be tons of food for conspiracy theorists should the rover die early. I hope they don't waste such opportunity like they did with the creature that was cleaning the solar panels of the other rovers!

17. gturner

gturner Admiral

18. Trekker4747

LINK

Curiosity's first full-res images from the mast camera.

19. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great image, too bad it's Planet Mojave....

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator