Fox Offers Matthew Vaughan "X-Men The First Class"!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 1, 2010.

1. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

As far as I'm concerned, unfortunately, Fox has already fucked the X-Men franchise with the last two films, so I don't care who directs it, I have very, very low expectations.

I'll always have my dear, sweet X-Men duology. :)

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Maybe their falling out could be the result of differing opinions on how mutant should deal with threats, or Magneto encountering an anti-human mutant who begins to make him disillusioned with Xavier's vision. Mr Sinister might work out well for that role, seeing how in the comics he'd been manipulating people for decades as well as the mutant race.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's still X-Men 4 for that Anwar and I agree that Mr. Sinister would make a grand villain for an X-Men movie.

4. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sinister in setting up an Apocalypse arc like he always seems to do?

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That would work for me :)

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, Sinister always worked out better as an enemy of Cyclops than as of Wolverine's (since Wolverine seems to be the center of the X-Movies). So unless they do something like say that Sinister was the one who did all the actual experimenting on mutants for Stryker Sinister wouldn't fit into the FOX X-Movies.

If they reboot the series from scratch they can show how Scott is worthy of having screentime by starting it from his POV as a kid at the orphanage where he's experimented on by Sinister. It would explain his dedication to Xavier's cause: He was tortured and psychologically abused as a kid by a crazy scientist and doesn't want that to happen to anyone else.

7. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Now might be a good time for an X-film involved a time traveling mutant who goes back to before the X-Men were formed and changes history.

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have they figured out how to marginalize Cyclops in this movie yet? :p

9. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

For those concerned about the short timetable, back when Bryan Singer was attached to direct, he had developed an allegedly strong draft of the screenplay with writer Jamie Moss (Street Kings). It was after reading that draft that 20th Century Fox fast-tracked the production.

Even though Singer is no longer directing but still producing, he has still been continuously working hard on the film. According to The Hollywood Reporter's Heat Vision Blog, Singer vows to remain "very involved" in co-steering First Class and while currently casting his next project as director, Jack the Giant Killer for WB, he is simultaneously casting First Class, keeping actors and actresses in mind for the film's younger versions of Scott Summers (Cyclops) and Jean Grey.

Now that Vaughn is on board as director, I am sure he will take over the reigns, but work on the film was still steadily progressing even while there was an active search for director. It'll be interesting how Vaughn and Singer co-manage things, and one hopes that both of them can work well together. Interesting to note that Vaughn was somewhat critical of Singer's first two X-Men films and was very critical on Singer's Superman Returns, calling it a "mess". I wonder how that'll affect their working relationship. ;)

10. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

That would be good. But I have a feeling that X4 won't be seen for a few years.

11. JacksonArcher

I hope Bryan Singer eventually directs X4. Producer Lauren Shuler-Donner did tell him she has an idea for a fourth film, and he seemed willing. I'm much more interested in Singer's take on X4 than his take on First Class.

12. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Scott Summers was a great man...well i say great, he was just kinda there y'know? oh and then he died somehow, not really sure...but that was another life!"

13. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Interesting. I've never read any of Vaughan's comments about the first two films. You're good with links, you have any JA? I'd like to read that! :)

14. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seeing how "First Class" is a prequel, I'm assuming it's going to be a flashback story being told to Wolverine. So I'm guessing while he'll technically be in it, he really won't be.

15. JacksonArcher

I read this back in either 2004 or 2005, when Vaughn was first attached to direct X-Men 3, and he basically said he felt like Singer's two X-Men movies didn't have enough emotion, and he wanted to inject his X3 with a lot more emotion and heart. I can't find that link now, but that's what I remember.

16. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Right now rumor is Meagan Good is in the running to play Storm.

17. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the actress is about 28 says Wikipedia (i know i know), so will Ororo be around that age? Or at least mid 20s...or ACTUALLY i guess in movie/tv land a high schooler?

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Don't know whether to post it in this one or the other First Class thread which has sprung up, but since this is the earlier one, I'll pop for it.

The writers (or script doctors) have spoken briefly about the movie:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=65797

19. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    What about the guy that played young Cyclops in Wolverine? I thought he was pretty good for what screentime he had.

20. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Jane Goldman who helped script Kick-Ass is apparently doing the same on X-Men: First Class.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12...jane-goldman-re-writing-x-men-first-class?m=k

The full article goes into a little more depth about the scripting process of the film so far.

Bringing Jane aboard works for me, aside from liking her work on Kick-Ass, it means that Vaughn apparently has a good amount of creative control on the project.