Website feedback

Discussion in 'Web Sites/Design' started by secretreeve, Mar 26, 2013.

1. secretreeve

secretreeve Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi guys, newbie here.

I do various sci fi scale models, mostly from the ST universe and manage the build logs and stuff on my website. It also sells the lighting kits I make to use in my models so hopefully that wont breach the T&C of the forum.

Anyway, I'm looking to get some feedback, pointers and improvement suggestions.

Eventually I'll ditch the .webs.com and go with a .co.uk domain but its a case of coughing up the £70 for a years service.

http://secretsmodelling.webs.com/

2. TheMorrigan

TheMorrigan Ensign Newbie

Well if you want my honest opinion it's a little cluttered.I've never been a fan of the three column approach, first off, and I think that a less is more approach is the best way to go.

One thing that you have to remember is that some people browse mobile-y and if you browse mobile-y on a cluttered skin it's very tedious and you eventually shut down the site and forget about it.

My first suggestion to help you out is you need to figure out what you need on the front page, and I would definitely reduce the font to a more maneable size. 13-15px is about all you need, smaller and it's far too small and bigger is far too big.

Honestly just looking over it, most of the stuff in your side bar can likely be neatly tucked away into a single link and another page, particularly the large banner images. When linking to other sites on your index page, just as a rule of thumb, you likely want to use standard 88x31 images, they are compact and they are less likely to draw your reader AWAY from your site by the "ouu shiny" effect.

On a more personal note, those models are freakin' awesome!