Wertham lied

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by A beaker full of death, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The nuke may have still hit, but he "repaired" the fault before it could sink half of California into the ocean. So there's some damage, sure, from the resulting earthquake but over all not as bas as it could have been. The nuke hit in a remote enough area of the fault for the resulting radiation to probably not be too big of a concern. (Or Superman could have taken care of that off camera.)

What's bizarre is that Luthor claims that with all of Superman's speed and powers he couldn't stop both missiles at once. Ummm... how does Luthor know this? And, YES HE CAN! Hell we SEE Superman speed around the earth at incredible enough speeds to REVERSE TIME! So I think he could have gotten both missiles pretty easily.

It also raises questions on "Returns" where Luthor is free because Superman didn't show up for court or "properly" arrest Luthor because he left for Krypton. I'm pretty sure a man who steals two nuclear missiles and launches them at the US isn't going to be showing up in a civil court where Superman needs to show up to bare witness. Luthor must have gotten himself a DAMN good lawyer to even GET a trial rather than the US government throwing Luthor in a hole somewhere and not looking back.

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I quite agree. The best stories, or points within a Superman story are about where he has to decide whether to use his powers or not followed by the consequences of the decision. The stories about the consequences are far more engaging than what the super powers can do in and of themselves.

3. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yavK0mnE3wI[/yt]

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

All of this boils down to the foolish assertion that because something succeeds that's a good reason not to do it again. :guffaw:

5. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In fact, now that I think about it, even the first Reeve Superman movie was an example of their history of repeating themselves and trend jumping (fortunately, this time for the better).

Originally, the plan for the Superman movie was a relatively low budget, campy, film:

Fortunately, however, "Star Wars" happened and WB decided they had better up their ante.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Or it shows that Warner wants someone involved who knows how to make high profile pictures with large budgets? Much like Disney selecting a known quantity to place behind the camera for Star Wars: Episode VII.

7. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Nolan is a smart guy. He's capable of doing different tones and different approaches. Just because he did Batman, doesn't mean that EVERYTHING he'll do will be like Batman.

8. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So far, however, it seems more Batmanesque than not.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Even if it's nothing like the Dark Knight trilogy, it'd be stupid not to promote like it is.

10. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I haven't gotten that vibe at all. It seems solidly in the Superman area. I can tell this because so far, like all the other Superman films, I have no interest in it. ;)