IDW's "treasury edition" comic reprints

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Therin of Andor, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I just wanted to give people a heads-up about IDW's recent "treasury edition" reprint of the John Byrne Romulan comics, "Alien Spotlight: Romulans" and "Romulans: The Hollow Crown" mini-series.

When I first saw "treasury edition" on the schedule, I assumed a digest format, but this is, in fact, a 72-page, 9.25-inch x 14.25-inch oversize edition. The artwork looks stunning in this large format! I found myself buying it all over again. (I already have the individual issues and the reprints in trade collections.)
    http://www.startrekcomics.info/idwtreasuryed.html

The cover reuses the art from the "Pawns of War" trade. That may cause a little confusion.

An ad in the back of this first treasury edition promotes the "conclusion" to the saga, also to come in this format. Presumably this will be the conclusion, the rest of the "Pawns of War" storyline, ie Byrne's "Romulans: Schism" mini-series and the bonus adaptation of the episode, "Balance of Terror", that came with the trade reprint. Number One (from Byrne's "Crew" min-series) reprises her admiral role in that one.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

IDW did a Doctor Who treasury last month of "The Iron Legion" and "City of the Damned," two stories illustrated by Watchmen's Dave Gibbons.

I would love to see a John Ridgway Doctor Who Treasury Edition -- Voyager would look breathtakingly incredible at that scale.

It's a nice experiment, and I hope it works for IDW and the franchises they use it for.

3. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I love the format. When Star Wars came out I got the treasury edition of the movie adaptation. I read it until the covers fell off.