The SINGLE GREATEST MOMENT in TOS !!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Captain Tracy, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Captain Tracy

Captain Tracy Commander Red Shirt

For the humor?

2. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, sir!

3. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My elementary age son clapped when Kirk materializes in transporter room in Tholian Web. That's a great moment to a boy who's never seen it before.

4. Captain Tracy

It is a great gag to be sure, but do suppose some of the merit of the scene comes with the sense of satisfaction - on the good doctors part - for FINALLY getting the girl,.. well, actually more than one girl LOL!

Sort of like getting his just due compensation for all of KIRK's high-jinx he has had to claim witness to,... while sitting on the sidelines?

5. Captain Tracy

Yes, I too recall feeling a HUGE emotional response when I first saw the scene,.. and that is with full knowledge that, somehow he is going to live anyway - testament to a great script.

The thing I recall which struck me the most about the episode as a whole was actually feeling the love for KIRK which the actors portrayed so wonderfully,... actually feeling their loss and mourning.

6. Jose Tyler

Jose Tyler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have to go with two. The first is in "Amok Time" when Spock sees Kirk alive and the smile lights up his face. It speaks volumes to the depth of the Kirk/Spock. relationship.

[​IMG]

The second is in "The Doomsday Machine" when Spock relieves Decker from command. These is such an intense level of vulcan bad-assery when Spock motions for the security guards to come over.

[​IMG]

7. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    The 'Risk is our Business' speech in 'Return to Tomorrow' it encapsulates not just the show but an attitude for life itself. One can always find reasons to hesitate and good reasons when mistakes can come with great loss and penalty. However, that conservatism which will risk nothing gains little to nothing and seldom grows strong enough or well to face unforeseen difficulty. Risk is hair brained, even fatal, but it has rewards of gaining experience and knowledge making dangers and challenges that come from the unforeseen far more manageable and solvable.

8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Captain Captain

I like all of the above suggestions and find them of merit. I'll add one that most will probably not mention from an episode that's not well-loved, the final moment of "Requiem For Methuselah."

[​IMG]

After Kirk's wish to "forget" his recent ordeal, and McCoy's echoing of that sentiment, Spock takes it upon himself to grant his friend's request. It was a moving moment in the series, and one that I will never "forget."

Harry

9. Captain Tracy

Too True, it is a strikingly kind and caring moment, and quite outside the scope of the typical interplay demonstrated between the characters.

Good one.:techman:

10. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm so glad you posted this. It's one of my favorites too.

There isn't one single greatest moment, for me anyway. But there are definitely many great moments.

I love that "Risk is our business" speech. It exemplifies so much of what sci-fi has touched on over the years. This is the speech Dr. Rush should have made to the crew aboard Destiny. ;)

Kirk realizing the Horta is intelligent and deserves to be protected.

When Kirk tells the Vians how they've lost compassion, that they're nothing but intellect... and it dawns upon them that he's right.

At the end of "Balance of Terror", when Kirk extends a hand of rescue to the Romulan commander.

In Plato's Stepchildren, when Kirk informs Scotty, "prepare to beam us up. I have a little surprise for you. I'm bringing a visitor aboard." And Alexander beams a big smile.

"The Savage Curtain", when Kirk first welcomes Abraham Lincoln aboard. You can see how taken he is with this incarnation, remarkably realistic.

The end of "Who Mourns for Adonais?". McCoy laments how he wished they hadn't had to do this. And Kirk says "So do I. They gave us so much. The Greek civilisation, much of our culture and philosophy came from a worship of those beings. In a way, they began the Golden Age. Would it have hurt us, I wonder, just to have gathered a few laurel leaves?"

The ending of the Menagerie, Part II... when the Talosians show Kirk how Pike has found his place, and as they wish Kirk well in his journey, he pauses to smile. I could almost see Shatner's hope and promise for what lays ahead in the next season of Star Trek.

11. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Too many chose examples of drama anyway so I went with something different. McCoy has seldom had the last word or a chance to shine above and beyond his friends so I think this shows that the character is just as well-loved as they are and capable of providing some comic relief.

12. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    When Scotty socks the Klingon in the bar for calling the Enterprise a "garbage scow".

Yeah, you don't disrespect THE SHIP!

13. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    That and the dressing down by Kirk later when he's trying to find out who started the fight. Kirk's reactions to Scotty's explanation are priceless.

14. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

I'm in agreement with those who say Edith's death. It was such a powerful moment, Kirk having to let the woman he had grown to love die to preserve the future.

15. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I have to go with Amok Time that fight scene is the best !!! So dramatic !! Another favourite of mine is Space Seed kirk Spock and McCoy have a debate with khan some classic tension !!!

16. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

In 'Balance of Terror' when McCoy is in Kirk's quarters giving him an answer to Kirk's rhetorical question, ending with, "Don't give up on the one named 'Kirk'."

Also, in 'A Taste of Armageddon' when Kirk agrees with Anan 7 that humans are killers. "We can admit we're killers, but we're not going to kill today. And that's all it takes, knowing that we're not going to kill. Today."

17. spockrocks

spockrocks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

For me it may be when Spock saw Jim alive after he thought he had killed him at the end of "Amok Time."

18. Cyclist

Cyclist Ensign

Stella Mudd's appearance in 'I, Mudd'. SUCH a hottie.

19. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Shirtless Kirk fighting the 3 other drill thralls in The GAMESTERS of TRISKELLION: one of the longest extended fight scenes, with the funniest rules of battle (watch as Kirk repeatedly steps on the wrong coloured tiles but still doesn't get penalized). Great choreography...Shatner at his best!

It's tied with the end battle in A PRIVATE LITTLE WAR: high drama as Tyree's wife plays both sides against her husband's tribe, is ravaged and quickly killed as Kirk and Tyree appear. A vicious fight ensues, ending with the look of despair on Tyree's face after he mercilessly pulps his enemy's face. Bonus points as Kirk is completely overwhelmed at how seriously his interference has f'ed up his longtime friend's life... No easy solution this time for J.T.

20. Captain Tracy

Yes, the scene you cite from Armageddon, is extremely powerful - good one :techman: